Gransnet forums

Pets

Puppies do not eat

(7 Posts)
blackmarch103 Mon 04-Jun-18 13:34:06

Hello, this is a pretty old question, but I need some help. My dog just gave birth to a few puppies. But after a few weeks, puppies are no longer breastfeeding. And I tried them for porridge. But they do not touch. How do I do now?

NanaandGrampy Mon 04-Jun-18 13:50:54

I think we’d need more info to offer advice blackmarch.
What breed is the bitch ? How many puppies? How old exactly are they? What sort of porridge? Are the puppies active or lethargic? Is it that the puppies have stopped trying to feed or has the mother stopped feeding them?

Sorry can’t give any serious advice on what you’ve already shared except if you are concerned and the puppies are under 4 weeks old I’d see the vet as a first port of call.

Elegran Mon 04-Jun-18 14:09:40

It depends why they have changed, and whether it is because they or their mother are ill. If they are all well it is like weaning human babies. At first they still mostly drink milk, but they gradually try more solid food. They won't suddenly move from all mother's milk to all solid food. There is advice here - www.petcoach.co/article/weaning-puppies/

Iam64 Mon 04-Jun-18 14:20:01

A worrying question. Please read Elegran's link. I agree with NannyandGrampy - call your vet.

LynneB59 Mon 04-Jun-18 14:46:41

The puppies and the mother need to see a VET! Go ASAP. Don't sit at your computer, go now!

And get your dog spayed.

Iam64 Mon 04-Jun-18 18:35:00

it sounds as though you're a first time breeder. Breeding pups is something that requires knowledge, money to pay vet bills and a real commitment. Asking such a basic question on gransnet is worrying. I do hope those puppies and their mother are ok.

sodapop Mon 04-Jun-18 19:39:30

Yes seek advice from your vet asap. Mum and puppies need food and hydration now.