Gransnet forums

Pets

Rescued!

(15 Posts)
HAZBEEN Sat 11-Aug-18 08:19:09

Well we have 5 new additions to our household! My OH who is a builder was working on a house that has just been bought as a buy to let. The new owner wanted rid of a filthy overgrown pond in the garden so they drained it prior to filling it in. Lo and behold there were 5 little goldfish left floundering at the bottom, so my OH filled a big builders bucket with water and some of the plants from the pond and rescued them.
We didnt expect them to live after the trauma but they all did so now I have a brand new tank in my lounge with 5 little fishes merrily swimming about. My cat is now obsessed watching "cat tv"!
I bought a tank with a good lid so dont worry about the cat going fishing!
I had fish years ago and had forgotten how soothing it is to sit and watch them.

shysal Sat 11-Aug-18 09:04:20

Have you named them? I can only think of Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Titch. Think they were a pop group.
Or Pugh, Barney Mcgrew, Cuthbert, Dibble and Grubb.

HAZBEEN Sat 11-Aug-18 09:28:42

I have been trying to think of names! We have a history of odd names for our family pets, the cat is called Wee willy winkle or Winkle for short! I had a budgie called Cassandra Alexandra and another cat was Chesney Percival!
So its got to be something different but I do like Pugh, Barney McGrew etc!

ninathenana Sat 11-Aug-18 10:34:23

You forgot Hugh grin

shysal Sat 11-Aug-18 15:01:49

nina, there is no Hugh but two Pughs who were brothers or at least related. smile

Lynne59 Sat 11-Aug-18 15:04:16

That's a nice story

shysal Sat 11-Aug-18 15:05:45

Just Googled. Pugh and Pugh were twins.

wot Sat 11-Aug-18 16:17:46

Hazbeen, that's really lovely

HAZBEEN Sat 11-Aug-18 16:38:04

Still havent decided on names, anybody got any ideas? There are 2 gold, 1 gold with a small brown bit, 1 brown on the top half and gold on the bottom and 1 all brown so they are easy to tell apart!

MissAdventure Sat 11-Aug-18 17:48:16

Scooby doo, Shaggy, Fred, Velma and Daphne.

MrsJamJam Sat 11-Aug-18 18:45:55

You will find that the dark ones will turn gold in time. They are dark when young then gradually turn gold, so you will need to find another way to tell them apart !grin

Bathsheba Sat 11-Aug-18 21:30:21

What a lovely story. Well done your OH for saving the poor little fishes smile

watermeadow Tue 14-Aug-18 18:38:28

Dig a pond! Your fish will be much happier and will need very little care in a pond, which will be a source of endless interest and enjoyment. You will also get frogs, newts, dragonflies etc.
But not if you have toddlers around, of course.

HAZBEEN Wed 15-Aug-18 10:16:57

Sorry watermeadow we cant have a pond, we live in a flat with communal gardens. Actually I am growing quite fond of the little blighters and they seem to be thriving. Still havent got names though!

Willow500 Wed 15-Aug-18 10:51:01

Aw how lovely - what lucky little fishies smile