Gransnet forums

Pets

Screaming frog!

(12 Posts)
Willow10 Sun 12-Aug-18 13:51:19

I heard what I thought was a very loud squeaky toy noise coming from outside. When I went to investigate, it was the neighbours cat playing with a very angry, noisy frog! I didn't realise a frog could even make that sort of sound. Every time the cat went near it, it screeched. I managed to get it into a bucket and then into my little barrel pond - I hope it will be ok!

jusnoneed Sun 12-Aug-18 13:56:24

We used to hear them when our cat cornered one, terrible noise!

Grannybags Sun 12-Aug-18 14:24:25

We heard a screaming frog when it was being chased by a mouse!

watermeadow Tue 14-Aug-18 18:32:39

My cat catches frogs but doesn’t usually do them any harm. As I run to rescue one it often screams and, so touchingly, spreads it’s little hands over its head like a terrified child.
I’m fond of my frogs and hate to see them squashed on the road. It takes a frog or toad five years to grow up and start spawning.

Fennel Tue 14-Aug-18 20:50:05

We used to have a species called midwife toads near our house. They made a beeping sound which sounded like an electronic device.
Sadly they disappeared in the last few years.

Fennel Tue 14-Aug-18 20:51:53

ps here's a link:
www.bnhs.co.uk/focuson/midwife_toads/html/index.htm

Chewbacca Tue 14-Aug-18 21:25:01

We used to keep coal in an outside bunker and go and shovel it into a coal scuttle each evening. One night, exDH threw a scuttle of coal onto the fire and a piece screamed and jumped off. It was only when it continued to hop around the living room that we realised that it was a coal dust covered frog. Made a hell of a noise not surprisingly but once rinsed off under the tap, hopped off into the night.

MissAdventure Tue 14-Aug-18 21:35:57

Its amazing, the noise that can come out of a frog!
Years ago at work, my colleague and I opened the French doors, and a very big frog came in.
We put a sieve over it, and then I plucked up courage to lift the sieve and grab the frog.

Chewbacca Tue 14-Aug-18 21:45:32

Grab the frog MissA? Like, with your hands? shock I couldnt! Just couldn't!
I recently had a newt crawl into my living room, late one night. I have no idea how it got in, or where it came from, but there was no way I could have picked it up to get it out! DS to the rescue from 10 miles away

MissAdventure Tue 14-Aug-18 21:47:54

Yep, with my bare hands.
I had to have a clear run to the back door ready, and I had to limber up a bit first, but I did it!
Frogs are very squidgy!
It was a very big fat thing too.. smile

Lyndylou Tue 14-Aug-18 21:54:56

Willow10 Make sure there is a way for it get out of the barrel pond or it will drown and you don't want to find that at a later date. I speak from experience here. The cat kindly dropped a frog at the feet of me and my grandson while we were making cookies. My son put it in a big barrel of water but it didn't survive. I still feel guilty. sad

Chewbacca Tue 14-Aug-18 21:55:52

Oooohhhh! <faints>
grin