Gransnet forums

Pets

Dog (anal glands)

(47 Posts)
farview Thu 23-Aug-18 12:31:58

We've acquired a 6yr old shihtsu ,his owner died(long story) anyway,he truly smells awful,as does my house now!!! Been told his anal glands need squeezing so vets tomorrow. Have never had this with any of our previous dogs..will this REALLY get rid of the awful smell? Anyone had experience of this problem? (Oh have also been told to put him on a high fibre diet as this helps..so have done that )

muffinthemoo Thu 23-Aug-18 12:52:57

It will get rid of the smell.

High fibre diet helps.

If you have someone to hold his head, get the vet to show you how and where to press on the glands to evacuate them yourself tomorrow. Saves money and time on vet appointments and if you do it at ho,e, you can do it more regularly amd avoid build up. Its not at all difficult once you know what to do. Cover bum with a big whack of toilet roll before squeezing.

I spent many years evacuating the glands of the family pet, she was less than keen in the moment but always very grateful immediately after!

cornergran Thu 23-Aug-18 12:56:36

We had Lhasa Apsos, same problem. The vet will clear them for you and show you how to do it, don't worry, its not as bad as it sounds. A change of diet really helped with ours, I'm sure it will be fine.

sassenach512 Thu 23-Aug-18 13:20:55

Some breeds are more prone to impacted anal glands than others. We had a Cavalier King Charles who would keep sliding around on her bottom as if she had worms and we knew it was time for a quick 'evacuation'. It is the most foul smelling stuff but as Muffin and cornergran says, easy to deal with when you're shown how.

grandtanteJE65 Thu 23-Aug-18 13:32:50

And it sometimes afflicts cats as well! And they definitely do not appreciate having their bums squeezed!

Iam64 Thu 23-Aug-18 13:41:07

Of all the dogs I've shared my life with, only my current 9 year old lab x has anal gland issues. I've changed the food added fibre and veg and so on but it persists. It must be bad if your dog smells, there's usually a fishy smell - get the vet to do it and ask for dietary advice

farview Thu 23-Aug-18 13:48:20

Oh thank you all! Don't think could do it myself..too squeamish! Also..we were told when he was brought here that he doesn't like having his rear end touched.. apparently during a grooming session he was accidentally cut !!

FlexibleFriend Thu 23-Aug-18 13:48:56

It will cure the smell if it's the anal glands causing the pong, and yes a high fibre diet should help prevent it recurring. Is it definitely coming from his back end? I've never had a dog with issues of the anal glands but mine are raw fed and get bones too. Hope the trip to the vet helps restore a pleasant atmosphere at home.

merlotgran Thu 23-Aug-18 13:59:59

If your vet won't show you - and some of them won't because it means they lose money, there are instruction videos on YouTube.

MawBroon Thu 23-Aug-18 14:24:49

I knew there was a reason I didn’t persevere with wanting to be a vet! (Along with stick insects and snakes)

Touch wood, our greyhounds have never suffered, just as well as their long legs mean they don’t really sit so the bum-dragging would be difficult!

Riverwalk Thu 23-Aug-18 14:40:46

.... his anal glands need squeezing

Sorry, and I am a nurse and should know better, but I love this grin

Do you do it just the once?

MiniMoon Thu 23-Aug-18 14:40:52

We had a parson Russell terrier who would rub her bottom along the carpet, and scratch her rear end, all symptoms of blocked anal glands. She didn't smell. It was usually a once yearly trip to the vets to have them emptied. No matter what or how I fed her, it didn't help.

MiniMoon Thu 23-Aug-18 14:44:01

Re YouTube videos. Merlot. I tried, but couldn't find the glands, and I wasn't about to fish around up the dog's bottom. The look on her face was priceless.

OldMeg Thu 23-Aug-18 15:09:28

Shih tsus aren’t usually smelly dogs. Get the vet to check his teeth tomorrow as well. I presume you know the breed, that it doesn’t shed much hair, but the need regular grooming and a hair cut every 6-8 weeks. I have a Shih Tsu Cross and wash mine in between groomer visits.

Grannyknot Thu 23-Aug-18 15:31:29

YUK! Reasons not to have a dog.

MissAdventure Thu 23-Aug-18 15:39:18

I was just thinking exactly the same thing, grannyknot grin

phoenix Thu 23-Aug-18 15:43:29

Spaniels are one of the breeds prone to this, but it's really not too much hassle.

Grannyknot & MissAdventure not ALL dogs need this doing!

MissAdventure Thu 23-Aug-18 15:45:27

Why do some need it done, do you know?
Does it literally vary from dog to dog?

farview Thu 23-Aug-18 15:48:27

Oh some of these posts have made me laugh! Well I do bath him,brush him..he is dragging his botty along the floor,scratching it also and licking...his breath did smell but got him dental chews(for fresh breath)and the smell at the front end is much better...

Buffybee Thu 23-Aug-18 16:05:11

None of my Ddogs have ever had this problem but if I can give you some advise.
I never give my dogs biscuits or human food treats.
They have, healthy scraps from our meals, added to their food.
High quality dry food.
They love pieces of carrot, Apple cores for treats.
And every evening, they have one dental chew.

sodapop Thu 23-Aug-18 16:18:03

I think some breeds are more prone to this as Phoenix said, dragging their bottom across the floor is a classic sign often accompanied by skid marks, ( sorry to be graphic)
I had one dog with this problem but have had several other dogs who don't suffer from it.
It's not a big issue and owners could deal with it if they are not squeamish. I'm sure Riverwalk would love to help.

farview Thu 23-Aug-18 16:49:17

Yes sodapop have had the skidmarks yuk !
Riverwalk are you near to Bolton?
Thanks everyone x

HAZBEEN Thu 23-Aug-18 17:00:11

Yes as grandtanteJE65 said some cats get them too. Watching a cat skidding about the floor is hilarious but the marks left behind arent! 1 of my previous cats was very prone and no matter how I tried I couldnt do it myself so it was a regular trip to the vets.
Cats cannot be muzzled so you take your life in your hands trying to grip a cats bottom!

farview Thu 23-Aug-18 17:09:19

grinhaha

MissAdventure Thu 23-Aug-18 17:17:31

Well, I never knew cats could have the same problem!