Gransnet forums

Pets

Can dogs 'talk'?

(53 Posts)
Fennel Thu 06-Sep-18 19:53:30

We don't have a dog now, our dear border collie died in Jan. She used to have a range of barks etc all which meant something.
Now we have a neighbour who looks after his son's english bulldog during the day. I was talking to them today and said can Hugo ( the dog) have bones? We're going to have lamb shoulder at the weekend, perhaps Hugo would like the bone?
Hugo perked up at once and barked 'ruuf ruuf!' Do you think he understood? He certainly seemed interested.

MissAdventure Thu 06-Sep-18 19:55:10

There are a lot of YouTube videos of 'talking dogs', so yes, I would say you may be able to train a dog to make a particular sound.

merlotgran Thu 06-Sep-18 20:07:29

Our ridgeback used to make a groaning noise that sounded like Nooooooo if we switched channels on the telly. She would follow it up with a dirty look as if to say, 'I was watching that.'

Jalima1108 Thu 06-Sep-18 20:13:21

I would call up the stairs to DD and the dog would come and call her name too.

MissAdventure Thu 06-Sep-18 20:22:58

Was her name Mark? grin

MawBroon Thu 06-Sep-18 20:33:39

Or Ruth (woof)?

Fennel Thu 06-Sep-18 20:41:54

Maw smile.

Willow500 Thu 06-Sep-18 21:57:40

My cat can say Mama - does that count grin

lemongrove Thu 06-Sep-18 22:01:44

the dog was reacting to hearing his name grin

Although, if he was used to having bones to chew he would remember the word 'bone' I expect.

cats know certain words too, and love the word 'dinner' as do certain husbands.

Jalima1108 Thu 06-Sep-18 23:06:41

Not Mark - or Ruth grin

Auntieflo Fri 07-Sep-18 08:37:40

Of course they can!
Where do you think they found all the talking dogs on the TV adverts grin

shysal Fri 07-Sep-18 08:44:36

Yes, dogs have different barks in different circumstances. My Bengal cat certainly has a large vocabulary!

May I just let you know that it is advised not to give cooked bones to dogs as they will sometimes splinter and damage the digestive tract.

Iam64 Fri 07-Sep-18 09:33:22

I have a talking poodle cross. She looks like Chewbacca (waves to the poster of that name) from Star Wars and has a similar 'voice'. The older she gets, the more she likes the sound of her own voice and I'm working hard on teaching her 'quiet' or enough.
Dogs recognise many familiar words and phrases. They're adept at reading body language.
Fennel, very kind of you to consider giving the dog a bone and not wishing to be a superior misery guts but, it's a bad idea to give dogs any cooked bones. They 're more likely to splinter and cause all kinds of problems. I know I know, when we were growing up dogs got all the scraps but all the vets I know say an absolute No to any cooked bones.

Fennel Fri 07-Sep-18 11:53:38

That's why I asked my neighbour, Iam. He said Bruno is used to them. Apart from chicken bones.
Lemon that's what I thought. His name, and 'bone'.

Iam64 Fri 07-Sep-18 13:38:55

Fennel, I wasn't criticising you. Many people give cooked bones to their pets with no problems. Vets are set against it because they're the people operating when problems do arise.
My dogs faces light up when they hear their names and words like 'walk' or 'treat'
They don't always hear instructions like 'in your beds' smile

muffinthemoo Fri 07-Sep-18 13:48:53

I believe there’s research that suggests dogs can learn to recognise up to about fifty or sixty common words.

In my own observations though, I notice most of them are names of foods

Jalima1108 Fri 07-Sep-18 14:13:13

Our last dog got very excited if he saw me put my coat on - but if I said 'sorry, I'm going to work' he used to give me a filthy look and slink off to his bed.

Jalima1108 Fri 07-Sep-18 14:13:37

That's the same dog who could speak btw grin

NfkDumpling Fri 07-Sep-18 14:16:31

Of course dogs can talk in their own way, and understand more than we realise both from our words and body language. They mind read too. We are putty in their hands.

And as for cats, well .........

NfkDumpling Fri 07-Sep-18 14:17:33

Sorry - paws not hands.

BRedhead59 Sat 08-Sep-18 07:40:22

Yes definitely - we understand most of our dogs' different barks, attention please, can I come in, there might be a problem, there is a problem, come quick etc

nannypiano Sat 08-Sep-18 07:53:49

I don't know about my dog speaking, because he isn't very vocal, but he definitely has selective hearing.

sazz1 Sat 08-Sep-18 09:50:29

Have read somewhere that dogs can understand conversations and not just single words like sit down etc. Nobody will know for sure as they just can't tell you

JanaNana Sat 08-Sep-18 09:56:03

I think dogs definately understand certain words. We used to have to spell the word " lead" and "walk" whenever we were at our daughters house. If we actually said those particular words her dog would rush into the hallway and try and jump up towards the peg were it's lead was, expecting that it was getting another walk. It also recognised the names of some of the toys it had....ie, tugger, squeaker etc. We would play fetch games with it and it would bring straightaway whichever you toy you named. Maybe some breeds are more tuned in than others perhaps.

Jo1960 Sat 08-Sep-18 10:00:35

My late terrier had a specific yip he only used when I was 5 minutes from home. He had another one for my daughter returning on the bus at 4pm. He had another urgent bark for “come quick someone’s in trouble” and another for someone at the door. The rest of the time he was really quiet, especially when hunting or hiding from me! My current lab, Zak, is very vocal and “talks” to me a lot but doesn’t have as many discrete noises as Jed had