Gransnet forums

Pets

Post op dog lead advice needed

(7 Posts)
Sehh Fri 11-Jan-19 05:59:01

Our Labrador is due home early next week after the removal of a tumour in his chest cavity. He will need gentle lead walking for a while and I want to be confident in using the right lead type for him when he’s home. I’m looking for something that doesn’t irritate the chest area or cause pressure to the sternum. Thanks for any advice or brand names that you may know of.

ninathenana Fri 11-Jan-19 09:06:00

I would just use a normal neck collar which would obviously avoid the chest area but I know some people are against that. So you could look at at a Halti (sp) collar

FlexibleFriend Fri 11-Jan-19 10:57:13

How is he normally walked? If he's used to a collar and lead carry on with that. If he's used to a harness then a collar and lead plus a halti, gentle leader etc might help, although dogs generally object to them at first.

Izabella Fri 11-Jan-19 11:31:01

What has the vet advised?

Sehh Fri 11-Jan-19 18:14:57

Thank you all. The vet has just advised on using a soft harness as the anchor point will be between the shoulder blades.

GrannyIris5 Sun 13-Jan-19 11:23:34

Is he a ‘puller’, if so I’d recommend a Dogmatic which goes over the face, doggie can still eat bark drink etc but is led from under the chin. Cured our labradoodle of trying to lengthen my arm. Otherwise a normal lead attached to the collar or a soft choke. Hope recovery is swift x

Anja Sun 13-Jan-19 12:23:35

I’d suggest a soft harness too and a lead with a clip at both ends. Then you can clip on end to his collar and the other to the harness ring. That will spread the load.