Gransnet forums

Pets

Are we too old to get a dog

(65 Posts)
oldgirl2 Tue 12-Feb-19 12:35:38

I am 68 and DH is 66, fit and healthy. We have always had a cat and our last dear girl died 5 years ago. Since then we have retired and DH has always wanted a dog, he had one over 30 years ago and I only had one in our family home when I was a child. Do you think it is too late to consider getting a medium sized dog, about 4,5 or more years old. We live near to countryside and 5 miles from the sea but apart from our age we would holiday twice a year abroad as ds lives in Scandinavia. It’s not just dh, I also would love to have a dog, we walk every day and just feel a house is a home with a pet.

DorisLovesBoris Fri 15-Feb-19 08:59:48

I love dogs woof woof

PernillaVanilla Fri 15-Feb-19 09:37:55

I'm not that happy that DH will be retiring at 64 this year but as this means we can have a dog (almost certainly a rescue staffie) again I'm not entirely despondent. I work in care and we support a number of people in their 80s who still have dogs and care for them very well. The carers are always happy to take them for a quick walk around the block if the owners are not up to it. I'm getting fit this year with a view to getting a horse again in my retirement - plenty of people in their seventies in the classes I go to at the stables.

HildaW Fri 15-Feb-19 11:32:50

Why not happy about DH retiring? LIfe can get so much more interesting when you have more time together. Many folks start on a whole new adventure. I have two sets of friends who have recently invested in smart little camper vans....they are raring to go (plus dogs of course).

Winter18 Fri 15-Feb-19 11:58:04

Go ahead and get a dog they give you a lot of pleasure, I’m sure you’ll find a lovely doggie sitter for your holidays abroad there’s plenty about

PernillaVanilla Fri 15-Feb-19 16:11:03

Hilda, I am younger and don't have the luxury of a public sector pension, so I have to work at least another two years, possibly three. Once we get to state pension age we will be fine but for those of us who were not contracted out we have to wait until we are 66 (now) to get our SERPS/second state pension payments.

NfkDumpling Fri 15-Feb-19 17:03:23

Don’t despair Pernilla, its surprising how much it costs to go to work. Fewer ‘quick’ meals and take aways when you’re too tired or short of time to cook, less work gear, fares, car parks, fuel. It’s amazing how all those little things add up. You may find you’re better off than you think you’ll be.

watermeadow Sat 16-Feb-19 19:37:38

I had an ex-breeding bitch from Many Tears and we just adored each other. She had never lived indoors or been taken for walks. She didn’t ever play or see the point of walks.
After 3 tranquil and happy years she died and her successor was an 8 week old puppy who has been hard work. Fun but exhausting.
Choose your dog with care, knowing that you don’t have the energy or agility of a young person and may develop health problems during the dog’s lifetime.

Alexa Thu 02-May-19 11:00:20

I've had many dogs and great regret about two of them who had to go to kennels. I'll never forgive myself for leaving the Sheltie in kennels to go on holiday.

The GSDs had to go to kennels as I had to have a major operation. The GSD bitch never recovered psychologically, but the boy GSD thrived in the kennel. My point is that whatever dog you choose it should be one that is well able to be left alone without you for a long time.

Yorksherlass Thu 02-May-19 11:52:10

Have you thought about Petstay, home checked carers will board your dog at their home, or you could register yourself and get your dog fix that way

Alexa Thu 02-May-19 12:25:25

I'd do that in future, Yorksherlass, if I have to leave my dog with strangers.

vintanner Thu 02-May-19 12:31:35

You sound wonderful doggy parents.

If you want to try before committing to one have a look at this website....

www.borrowmydoggy.com

I know people who do this and they think it is brilliant.

It may be best of both worlds.

humptydumpty Thu 02-May-19 13:00:21

It must be lovely to be able to put your dog into a home environment when you are away. We recently adopted a rescue cat, and are now casting around for the best way to care for her when we are away, even for a couple of nighjts. Although feeding/watering are straightforward, the problem is that she loves human company, and I hate the thought of her being alone for hours on end.

rosamund132 Sat 04-May-19 12:14:14

You would potentially be brilliant hosts for your local Barking Mad branch. They are always looking for dedicated dog lovers to care for their customers' dogs when the owners go on holiday. You fit it around your own lifestyle, so no problems with booking your own holidays, no paperwork for you to do except follow the Pet Schedule for each dog and write a postcard! Most hosts are retired folk who do not want to commit to having their own dog but who really need a 'doggy fix' now and again! See barkingmad.uk.com and pop in your postcode.

mumofmadboys Sat 04-May-19 12:28:38

Go for it!
We have friends to stay who look after our dog and cat( until recently) when we are away. Works well - pets in own home and I can relax and friends free holiday in Lake District.