Gransnet forums

Pets

I'm in shock

(29 Posts)
Diggingdoris Sun 14-Apr-19 13:56:16

Our 19yr old cat died last night in her armchair. It was such a shock to find her cold and stiff this morning especially as she had started new medication yesterday for an overactive thyroid. I can't seem to function today, or cry properly. Maybe I will in time but just numb at the moment.
Just needed to tell someone.

seacliff Sun 14-Apr-19 19:08:33

So sorry Doris, I understand it must have been such a horrible shock when you had just got her on meds and were hoping to see an improvement, and instead she had gone. It takes some coming to terms with. In time you will come to realise that she went in the best possible way, warm and comfortable in her own home with no stress.

Our old cat was on thyroid tablets for some months, but after initial good results, he was still getting worse. We hated taking him for the blood tests as they distressed him so. If I had the choice looking back, I'd have wished for him a few months less life but a much more peaceful end. flowers

Diggingdoris Mon 15-Apr-19 11:49:03

Many thanks to you all for your kind words. I've buried Dusty in the garden today and had a good cry, so I'm feeling less numb. Looking through our photos of her has made me sad but also made me remember the good times.
Here's one for you all.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 15-Apr-19 12:03:22

I know exactly how you feel. My Storm died in his sleep too, but held out until he had said good morning to DH and me. Thyroid trouble too, but I don't think cats die of that, but I do think (perhaps stupidly) that he knew he would need medicine every day of his life and didn't want that.

A horrible shock, but to my mind greatly preferable to having to go to the vet knowing you will come home alone.