Gransnet forums

Pets

I'm in shock

(28 Posts)
Diggingdoris Sun 14-Apr-19 13:56:16

Our 19yr old cat died last night in her armchair. It was such a shock to find her cold and stiff this morning especially as she had started new medication yesterday for an overactive thyroid. I can't seem to function today, or cry properly. Maybe I will in time but just numb at the moment.
Just needed to tell someone.

phoenix Sun 14-Apr-19 13:58:30

So sorry to hear this, but at least she died at home, in comfort and peacefully.flowers

GrannyGravy13 Sun 14-Apr-19 13:59:15

Sending hugs........pets become one of the family and losing them is a hard blow ??

Day6 Sun 14-Apr-19 13:59:35

I am so sorry. what a shock for you. It is always horrible to lose a much loved pet. Please take consolation in the fact she died in her sleep, in comfort and when alive she was loved and wanted. You did all you could for her.

You must be feeling so sad. flowers

B9exchange Sun 14-Apr-19 14:07:22

Sounds like she had a lovely life, and felt safe enough to die in the place she felt comfortable. Some cats go outside and hide away to die, she must have been much loved. She died peacefully, and you didn't have to make a dreadful decision whether to have her put down.

The house will seem dreadfully empty, take time to grieve, and look after yourself. Like any bereavement the shock wears off, and only then will you feel able to cry and recognise your loss.

Those who have never shared their lives with a much loved animal don't realise what it is like to lose them, but you have all my sympathy on this horrible day for you flowers

dragonfly46 Sun 14-Apr-19 14:08:55

flowers

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 14-Apr-19 14:09:03

That's sad Doris but as others have said, take comfort that she went in her sleep. Think of the happy times you spent with her if you can. flowers

FlexibleFriend Sun 14-Apr-19 15:02:10

19 is a good age, she did well and she went peacefully in her sleep, not sure any of us could ask for anything more.

Charleygirl5 Sun 14-Apr-19 15:07:50

I am so so sorry. I am well aware of what it is like to lose a well loved pet but she was comfortable and in her favourite place having been well loved all of her life there. Life will be very empty flowers

nanaK54 Sun 14-Apr-19 15:11:41

flowers

MiniMoon Sun 14-Apr-19 15:16:16

flowersflowers

Willow500 Sun 14-Apr-19 15:50:37

I'm so sorry that you have lost such a much loved pet - it sounds as though she just passed away in her sleep in the place she loved best and we can ask for no more. She gave you the best possible gift of not having to make the heartbreaking decision we inevitably have to make for our beloved animals. 19 is a wonderful age and you will miss her dreadfully. Be kind to yourself flowers

Anja Sun 14-Apr-19 16:33:19

What a horrid shock. I’m sure she passed away peacefully in her sleep and at 19 had had a full and happy life ?

Sparklefizz Sun 14-Apr-19 17:08:17

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your much-loved little cat. Our pets are a big part of our family ... let yourself grieve for her, and when the time is right, the tears will come, and that is only natural. flowers

sodapop Sun 14-Apr-19 17:40:06

So sorry Diggingdoris that must have been such a shock for you. A lovely peaceful way for her to go, at home where she was loved. Our pets leave a hole in our hearts and a big gap in our lives, take care.thanks

PageTurner Sun 14-Apr-19 17:40:55

Diggingdoris. I'm sorry that your cat died. It is a shock, even though you probably knew it was inevitable. At least she was at home and knew she was loved.
"The Rainbow Bridge" gave me comfort when I lost my two cats, who were siblings and died four months

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. 

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. 
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. 
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable. 

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. 

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind. 
 They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster. 

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again.
The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart. 

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together.... 

Author unknown... 

Petloss.com

Thinking of you during this time of sadness.?

PageTurner Sun 14-Apr-19 17:42:48

My two cats were 15 years old and died four months apart.

BlueBelle Sun 14-Apr-19 17:46:58

A big shock for you and I do feel for you but oh if only I could go like that curled up in my favourite chair with a lovely warm fire a nice old snooze and just don’t wake up She must have had a lovely life and you will miss her enormously but wonderful she did suffer and was in her home

Buffybee Sun 14-Apr-19 17:51:16

I'm so sorry that you have lost your girl, I know that you will be heartbroken. flowers

Framilode Sun 14-Apr-19 18:10:31

She had a peaceful end which is all we can all wish for. She must have died in her sleep. She will always be in your heart and you gave her a wonderful life. I know this doesn't help and you are grieving, but eventually you will be able to remember her with happiness and love. Hugs.

gransal Sun 14-Apr-19 18:29:28

DiggingDoris I am so very sorry for the loss of your lovely little friend. Two years ago I had to take the hard decision to say goodbye to my little friend of 19 years.It was very painful and I still have days when the tears come.I send you every sympathy. Take comfort in the peaceful way she went to sleep.

Scribbles Sun 14-Apr-19 18:38:06

Doris, I'm sorry you've had such a shock but, as others have said, please take comfort that she went "quietly into that goodnight". (((Hugs)))

Fennel Sun 14-Apr-19 18:43:03

No wonder you're in shock. But as others have said she went to sleep peacfully.
And at 19, in human equivalent, she was over 90!
Acc. to the Purima scale.

CherylMoon Sun 14-Apr-19 18:47:19

DiggingDoris

I’m so sorry to hear about your cat! That must have been an awful shock. I’m not surprised you’re so upset, I would be too. The only solace I can give is that she must have been well looked after to reach 19 and she died in a place where she was loved. flowers xx

phoenix Sun 14-Apr-19 18:59:26

I would so like it to be that rainbow bridge was "real" but if it were, I might be mown down in a stampede of much loved and lost animals sad