Gransnet forums

Pets

Dog Visitors

(41 Posts)
Alexa Thu 02-May-19 10:52:15

Today my son will be bringing two dog visitors. One is a young whippet boy and the other a JRT cross poodle. My own dog is an 10yo whippet . I have a single bed and they will all jolly well have to sort it out for themselves which sleeping space they will occupy as there is not room for two leggy whippets on my single bed besides me.

jura2 Wed 15-May-19 11:46:26

Always said 'a dog is a dog' and never on our bed or upstairs!

But Emma is different- used to be part of a pack of 4, then 3, then 2 ... happy to sleep together in their bed downstairs. Now nearly 14 and on her own, her owners having euthanazed her son and dumped her with us - she needs to be with us- and after nights of crying and howling- that is the way it is going to be. We have a huge tight woven sheet we take with us if we stay at friends or in Hôtels- so she has no contract with bed linen- and we warn friends. If this is not OK, then we won't stay and book into a nearby Hôtel. Sis in law and bil made us feel very uncomfortable about it last week, so I'll never stay there again until Emma has gone. At DD2, they do not wish Emma upstairs, so I sleep in office on sofa bed- no prob.

Bliss last night as we got back from UK and Minou 3 legs was soooo happy - they both slept on the bed together, and why not.

Alexa Thu 09-May-19 10:54:54

Beckett, I bet doggies consider you to be a doggy person.

Beckett Thu 09-May-19 08:09:15

I am not a doggy person (sorry!) but I did take care of a friend's dog while she was in hospital. I was told he would happily go to sleep on his own little bed which I put in the utility room. What I wasn't told that during the night he would creep upstairs and settle down on the foot of my bed! After a couple of nights of taking him back downstairs I gave up and got used to him being on my bed when I woke up in the morning

Dinahmo Thu 09-May-19 00:33:32

The Eskimos judge the night time temperature by the number of dogs they need to sleep on their beds - hence 3 dog night. I have 2 dogs, 1 of whom sleeps at the foot of our bed which is great as I always have cold feet.

sodapop Mon 06-May-19 16:25:44

Yes people without pets find it difficult to understand how they become part of the household. That is not to say that those people are not as entitled to their opinions as we pet owners are. My pets are just that, I don't expect others to feel the same way.

moggie57 Mon 06-May-19 13:21:45

any chance of getting to large bean bags or just a bundle of blankets will do.,but i bet your son wakes up with two dogs on his bed...

nipsmum Sat 04-May-19 16:15:18

Thank you Anja. He was the best dog anyone could have. Too many people who don't have dogs are very critical about how much they mean to those of us who prefer dogs to some people. Animals are totally nonjudgmental.

annodomini Sat 04-May-19 15:50:34

My GD has a mongrel: West Highland terrier dad, Jack Russell mum. What a good-natured dog she is, incredibly lively and affectionate.

BlueBelle Sat 04-May-19 15:35:45

As far as I know a mongrel is a dog coming from mixed parents so any two different breeds
I love mongrel they make the best pets but why they are given fancy names and sold for thousands I ll never understand
My little mix breed dog came to me for a bag of sweets for the kids in the family

Alexa Sat 04-May-19 13:43:27

I don't know, BlueBelle, excatly what a mongrel is. The little dog I referred to was deliberately bred from those parents to be suited to be a small household pet. Maybe a mongrel is any dog that doesn't breed true to type. This is quite an interesting question.

BlueBelle Sat 04-May-19 12:47:48

JRT poodle cross ahhh you mean a mongrel

Alexa Sat 04-May-19 12:42:24

Nipsmum, I had a collie who objected to one's feet being pushed underneath her. She used to give one insulted yap and jump off the bed.

Anja Sat 04-May-19 11:33:58

See that’s how it’s done! nipsmum stated her opinion in a totally non-judgemental way, and with a touch of humour.

nipsmum Sat 04-May-19 11:18:52

None of my dogs have been allowed to share my bed. One used to wait until I was asleep and creep up on the foot of the bed. I only knew he was there when I tried to stretch my legs out and he would growl because he was disturbed. He did think it was his bed.

Alexa Sat 04-May-19 10:48:04

I mean, of course, jackapoo not cockapoo which is not half terrier like the jackapoo, and would I guess not have been jealous about her favourite bed like a half-terrier would be.

My bed is near the front window and is an ideal station for the dogs to view the earliest appearance of the postman in his red jacket. The jackapoo expects and gets her own mail which she takes to bed and shreds.
If I desire the dogs to shut up I close the curtains.

Alexa Sat 04-May-19 10:42:08

It's true that dogs' feet smell strongly. I enjoy the smell of dogs' feet. BTW my favourite spring flower is now in bloom . Cow parsley!

The cockapoo's mummy has taken her away now. The boy whippet continues to sleep upstairs with my son and my own whip lurcher sleeps at the foot of my bed.

blondenana Sat 04-May-19 10:08:49

My little dog sleeps on my bed, along with 3 cats sometimes, room for all, and i am still here, not suffered any ills
My dog also has regular baths so not smelly either

Anja Sat 04-May-19 09:44:23

I pity anyone who hasn’t had the comfort a dog gives when no one else understands.

notentirelyallhere Sat 04-May-19 09:34:00

Comfort yourself Alexa with the thought of how strong your immune system must be because you have a good microbial load as a result of sharing your life, and your bed, with dogs. Dogs were the first domesticated animals and have lived with people for many, many thousands of years. So very sad that modern people have become detached from these wonderful companions and from nature. Even worse that people think they have the right to comment on what others choose to do in their own homes!

Enjoy your dog sitting!

BradfordLass72 Sat 04-May-19 09:14:51

Ye gods, we can't even have a thread about a lovely dog visit without falling out.

Alexa Enjoy your dog-sitting - or is it that they are gran-sitting? grin

Alexa Sat 04-May-19 00:34:22

He may have been a little slobbery but so muscular!

annodomini Fri 03-May-19 23:29:12

I once had a friend who shared a bed with a boxer. grin

Alexa Fri 03-May-19 23:22:10

I feel snubbed

Greciangirl Fri 03-May-19 22:32:48

Why would you want a smelly dog on your bed.
And let’s face it, they nearly all have a doggy odour.

Dogs should have their own beds. On the floor.

Annaram1 Fri 03-May-19 17:59:08

I have known a lot of people whose pets sleep on or even in their beds and none of them seem to have got sick from it. Unhygienic. maybe, but not deadly,,, We are all different, thank God.