Gransnet forums

Pets

When to let my old cat go..?

(91 Posts)
Blubberingmesscantdeal Thu 25-Jul-19 23:09:23

Hello,
I have an old cat,age 17,she is definitely on the edge of life...and death.She has skin cancer that has eaten most of her nose and filtrum. BUT until this last week or so has been happy,eating,jumping up on furniture and slightly playful.The last few days has seen her get very thin,had 2 abscesses on her body,and she's started to withdraw and isolate herself.I hoped,selfishly,that she would slip away quickly,peacefully and naturally.I am taking my dog for her annual booster vaccine in the morning and had earmarked the date upon which I would also take the beloved kitty and see if it's time to be PTS.Ive recently lost my Father and I feel I'm saving myself some heartache by hoping she will go without me making the decision.I took a photo of the Kitty today to post on social meadia,and then realised how horrific her nose looks! She has had veterinary checks and I have been a responsible owner.My fab vet always says to trust our instincts and we will know when the time is right.The time is now right but I feel I can't cope with the additional heartache so close after my wonderful Dads passing ???
Thankyou to anyone who has seen my waffle and responds ?

SueDonim Fri 26-Jul-19 01:00:09

Oh, I'm so sorry. This is the worst part of having a beloved pet, deciding when it's time for a final, loving, act.

I think you're best to seek your vet's advice, and see if there are any more measures that can improve her condition temporarily. If there is nothing, you know you've done your very best for her and it's time to say farewell. flowers

BradfordLass72 Fri 26-Jul-19 06:17:26

What a very, very sad time for you. Especially coming just after the loss of your beloved Dad.

Yes, the time is right now for her because if your cat is withdrawing it means she's chosen the end time as well.
In the wild they slink off to die in peace.

If the vet gives her this last injection and you say 'goodbye' with her in your arms, that's probably the final gift you can give her. Hard for you but love causes pain as well as joy.

You've been together 17 years and must have so many happy memories. Try to remember these, they will help you through the grief. flowers

Willow500 Fri 26-Jul-19 06:26:23

I'm so sorry as I know only too well what a heartbreaking thing it is to have to make this awful decision but you know in your heart it's time. Your kitty has had 17 wonderful years with you and this is the last kind act you can do for her.

Condolences too on the loss of your dad. A similar thing happened to me 9 years ago when I lost my father and a couple of months later had to make the same difficult decision for my beloved cat. It's so sad flowers

crystaltipps Fri 26-Jul-19 06:41:34

I lost a lovely 7 year old cat to heart failure recently. The vet said - a cat doesn’t care how long they live, just that they live well. That consoled me as she’d had a good life, if not a long one. Your cat has had a good life and a long one. Take your vet’s advice and do what’s best for your cat. Lots of hugs to you.

seacliff Fri 26-Jul-19 07:40:12

Please, for her sake, do it now. A few more weeks will be pain for her, and won't be enjoyable for you, as you'll feel guilty keeping her going for the wrong reasons. We had a cat with ear and nose cancer, it is awful.

Ring the vet Looking back you will be glad you did it for her. The last kindness you can do for her. x

NfkDumpling Fri 26-Jul-19 07:44:30

I would add that if possible get the vet to come to your house. Far less stressful all round.

((((Hugs))))

Purpledaffodil Fri 26-Jul-19 08:16:29

So hard for you under the circumstances, but I’d bite the bullet. It is hard to watch a beloved pet dying slowly. DH refused to have our last cat put to sleep and regretted it because she suffered. Hugs.

grannylyn65 Fri 26-Jul-19 09:25:37

17 years old cat pts 4 years ago. Still miss her but have 2 boys now ?

Glammy57 Fri 26-Jul-19 09:34:53

As a cat lover/owner, I really feel for you! As others have suggested, it is probably time for her to leave you. Please phone the vet and request a home visit as this will make the process a little less stressful for you and kitty. Keeping you in my thoughts! ?

Squiffy Fri 26-Jul-19 10:36:01

Blubbering I think you already know in your heart of hearts that the time has come, but the realisation and acceptance is so, so hard, isn't it? We had to say goodbye to our little cat last year, so I do understand what you're going through. As someone on here has already said, if she's starting to withdraw then she's probably ready to go. I'm so sorry for you having to go through this. flowers

gransal Fri 26-Jul-19 10:52:37

Blubbering we had to go through the same with our 19 yr old cat a couple of years ago.He had started to go off on his own in the house and moved out his bed. It was so hard but the best thing to do for him. When you have made your final decision googl th epoem Rainbow Bridge. It really helped me. Thinking of you.

blondenana Fri 26-Jul-19 10:58:25

So sorry for the loss of your dad, and for the situation you have now, but i think your cat has shown you she isn't enjoying life now
I have had to do this several times in the last few years
The oldest being 18, so i can understand how you are feeling
Let her go and just remember the happy life she has had with you[flowers ]

Smileless2012 Fri 26-Jul-19 11:04:56

My sincere condolences on the loss of your fatherflowers.

It's a hard and heartbreaking decision to do what's right for your beloved cat but judging by your post, it does seem as if it would be the kindest thing to do.

A good suggestion from Glammy to have the vet come to your home. I did this with one of my cats, had him on my lap and cuddled him for the few brief moments it took for him to go. The vet sat in his car until I was ready for him to take him away.

goldengirl Fri 26-Jul-19 11:19:16

How awful for you. It's a horrid decision to make. My dog 'told' me when he'd had enough by going outside and lying in his favourite spot. It broke my heart to say goodbye but I knew it was the right thing to do. It sounds from your post that your cat is 'telling' you and from what you say it seems you know yourself the time has come. We had the vet come to our home and as another poster has said and we found some comfort in it.

humptydumpty Fri 26-Jul-19 11:53:23

I feel so very sorry for you, but agree with other posters that it sounds as if the time has come. My previous cat had chronic kidney failure and I put off and put off the decision and it really was selfish of me, I regret it so much now.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 26-Jul-19 15:01:55

It honestly sounds to me as if your beloved cat is ready to go. Usually it is a sign when they stop taking an interest in life.

I know how hard it is and I sympathise fully with your hope that she will go to sleep and not wake up, but unfortunately if you wait she may be suffering until that happens.

If possible have the vet come in; it will be easier both for you and the cat.

We have all been through this with beloved cats and dogs, and golly, does it hurt?

Try to remember all the good times and let her go, hard though it is.

Jackiesue Fri 26-Jul-19 16:14:58

You Dear Lady. you are most definitely doing the right thing. Cats can't be treated the same as humans. You can't tell them that they have to go backwards and forwards to the doctor for end of life care. The time is right and she would thank you for helping her. Its the last gift you can give. Be strong at the moment as you deal with the saying goodbye. tell her, "thanks for coming into my life and giving me pleasure and i hope you've enjoyed my company too" Say goodbye and tell her you'll meet again. She'll slip away and be at peace. Its a brave decision but most definitely the right one. Give yourself time after. Come back here for support. xxx

Deni1963 Sat 27-Jul-19 09:10:15

It is the most heart rendering decision which we do out of love -I'm so sorry. Having done it twice I know how heart breaking it is - talk to your vet and see what his opinion is - big hug x

Craftycat Sat 27-Jul-19 09:12:20

I feel a bit for you. We had to make this decision last year for our beautiful Mulligan. You know you are doing what is best but it hurts so much.
I can only send you love & let you know you are not alone.
3 months after losing Milly went to a rescue centre & came back with 3 young cats. Don't ASK! We only went get one (we still have his sister,) so now have 4 cats. TBH probably the best thing we could have done as they are gorgeous.

Elijah Sat 27-Jul-19 09:22:32

I'm really sorry that you are having to make such a tough decision after the recent loss of your father, but as you said instinct tells you when it is the right time. I'm sure you don't wish your beloved friend to suffer more than she needs to. You have the joy of your memories and if you believe in the fact your cat will join your father watching over you enjoy the next stage of you life. ❤️

Nanny123 Sat 27-Jul-19 09:22:38

I feel for you so much. We have a dog who is our world and the though of having to do this breaks my heart. As you say it would be a lot better if they just went peacefully in their sleep. Stay strong and remember the love that you shared between you both.

Theoddbird Sat 27-Jul-19 09:24:17

I have had to do this twice with old cats. She is ready now...let her go. Sending you love and peace xxx

ecci53 Sat 27-Jul-19 09:30:14

I'm so sorry and I know how you feel . It's a decision that I've had to make several times over the years and it's a
so difficult. I always agonise over when to do it, and afterwards agonise about whether I should have done it sooner or waited longer. It breaks my heart every time. I always wish that they could live as long as we do.

camia Sat 27-Jul-19 09:38:21

I had to move from the house I had lived in for nearly 36 years (divorcing) and my 16 year old cat had cancer, a long term breathing problem which was worsening, diagnosed with thyroid and had taken to wetting on my bed. After much heart searching I booked her last visit to the vet, thinking it best not to put her through the stress of the move. It was strange, that day she wet the bed again and this time there was blood showing, her flanks kind of hollowed and her breathing worsened. It was almost as if she needed me to mentally let her go before she could allow herself to show me quite how ill she was. It is the last thing we can do for our pets, allow them a gentle passing, but I miss her so much. The messages on this page illustrate how much our animals mean to us and I feel for you having to make this decision but you know in your heart it is what you must do.