Gransnet forums

Pets

Do l get another cat/s ?

(78 Posts)
Blacktabby2 Tue 30-Jul-19 15:37:43

Hi. I lost my 19yr old cat back in March. In 30 years we have always had cats. I broke my heart when our neighbour kindly took her to the vets. We couldn't deal with it. Her ashes are back , buried in our garden with our other cats. We said NO MORE...we were so so sad. However after going into a cat charity shop the other day we saw photos of cats desperately needing homes. Oh dear. Tomorrow we are going to the cat sanctuary to look. I love cats so much but the hurt took a long time to get over. We are both retired (late 50s) and live in the country and not near a main road. Can l love another little pussycat? Not kittens...would adopt an older cat. I am so scared of it getting lost or whatever...obviously l would keep it in i initially...
In the last year both our mums have died and my best mate. Maybe we need something to bring joy into our homes? Perhaps l am answering my own question!! Thankyou for reading xxx

TwiceAsNice Tue 30-Jul-19 15:43:34

I have just adopted a rescue cat. She has settled and is so affectionate I love her to bits after only 12 days. You will always love your other cats but you will have lots of love for another one.

sharon103 Tue 30-Jul-19 15:44:38

I'm a cat lover and now have just two now.
You get to that sanctuary. smile

Jane10 Tue 30-Jul-19 15:56:53

Of course you can love another cat. It will be a different personality altogether from your late friend. (My cats are all friends!)
Just have one. We learned that a bit late though having had 4 at one point. We'd thought they would be company for each other but they did not like each other. Our old boy now is very happy. He leads his own quiet life and seems devoted to us as we are to him.

Nortsat46 Tue 30-Jul-19 16:09:26

My advice is to get another cat, in fact two, then they would be 'cat company' for each other.
We have always had cats, who lived long lives and who left a large hole in our lives, when they died. We still talk about all of them at different times and still miss them, too.

We currently have 2 and the elder one (14.5years) has recently been in the Vet hospital and was very poorly. She's home now and on the mend, which is a huge relief.

I know it's a risk to open your heart again, but imo it's one that's well worth taking. You have had some dreadful losses recently and I am so sorry to hear that.
Cats can bring great comfort, joy and fun into a home ... you were clearly a very loving owner and you can be again.

I am also sure that you know once you set foot in the Cat Sanctuary it will be impossible to leave without committing to (at least) one cat.

Do let us know what happens ...

EllanVannin Tue 30-Jul-19 16:36:54

Do get another cat. Besides giving them a lovely home they repay you in many ways and are beneficial to your health and well-being as companions and loving pets.

I have 3 cats, two of who just " walked in " a few years ago and the 3rd was a stray who I fed in the garden until she went into my bedroom one day and produced 4 kittens !

The poor thing would have been dumped because of this.

The RSPCA collected mother and kittens and 6 or so weeks later I went to claim the mother back as no-one had come forward. It only cost me £75 as the cat had been spayed/wormed/vaccinated and tagged and she's the loveliest part Persian cat I've ever had. 5 years this month and the cat herself is 6. She's my life.

gillyknits Tue 30-Jul-19 16:46:44

It’s horrible to have a cat shaped hole in your life/house. They are such good company and can make you laugh even when you’re down.
I’d get to that rescue place as soon as you can! ?

phoenix Tue 30-Jul-19 16:54:31

I would not be without Oliver Sprout & Minnie, both from Cats Protection. When Digby died, only aged 7, (also from CP) Oliver Sprout was so miserable, off his food etc, as he had never been an only cat. So, we got Minnie, little baggage that she is!

Oliver Sprout and 2 "siblings" we're in CP care aged 1 year, but sadly I could only take one of them. I later found out that the remaining 2 were homed together[smile

Go to the cattery, you never know, you may find 2 that have come in together and would just love to come to live with and love you!

ayse Tue 30-Jul-19 16:57:25

I’d love a cat but I’m visiting relatives quite frequently.

Go for it?

Scribbles Tue 30-Jul-19 17:59:16

A home without a cat is... just a house!

Another cat is waiting for you, so get yourself to the sanctuary, ASAP and discover which one ...flowers

Kiwigramz Tue 30-Jul-19 18:07:45

It breaks your heart to lose a much loved pet. I could not imagine a life without my cats. I flew three out when I moved to New Zealand. I love them so much. When I lose them I try telling myself there is a cat somewhere who needs a home and lots of love. Go for it. ?

fizzers Tue 30-Jul-19 18:15:54

yes, yes, yes you can offer a cat(s) a good a caring home, go for it

Septimia Tue 30-Jul-19 18:27:10

As you say, you've really answered your question yourself.

It is really sad to lose a pet. When our cat died we said we'd leave it a bit before getting another. Then 3 weeks later I caught my husband arranging with a neighbour to have two of her cat's new kittens!

Unfortunately one of them had a hereditary disease and died and the other was run over. They were so lovely that we were really upset. However, we'd already taken in our son's cat as he couldn't have it in his flat and then our neighbour's cat moved in! They're both a delight and we love them just as much as all our previous cats.

seacliff Tue 30-Jul-19 19:32:43

I volunteer for Cats Protection, I'm sure they will be so glad to see you. They often have lovely cats of about 6 years upwards, wanting a loving new home. Often because their owner has had to go into a home etc. They would have been vet checked and inoculated, and usually any problem dental work done.

Tell them you want a cat that is very friendly and likes a fuss, you don't probably want a "problem one."

I'm sure you will love having another cat, it is never a replacement for your much loved previous pet. Just a new character who will enrich your life, and give you much pleasure. Let us know how you get on.

phoenix Tue 30-Jul-19 19:36:07

Just to add, I do not regret having Maurice, Lily and Clucky, all now buried in the back garden.(Along with Digby, the most recent addition to our own pet cemetry) sad

Maurice was the only one that Mr P & I had from a kitten, all the others were sort of "acquired" There is in fact a particular story regarding Lily blush

Of course I miss them, but love and enjoy the 2 present incumbents.

GrannySomerset Tue 30-Jul-19 19:40:28

If you decide on two, make sure they are related. We had two female strays from Cats Protection and they were only nice to one another in cold weather when they shared a bed. Mind you, they bickered for nineteen years, and once one had had to go on that awful last journey to the vet the other turned her face to the wall and lasted another eight weeks.
We miss them greatly but dare not have something to trip over.

Newquay Tue 30-Jul-19 19:42:34

We’ve had two cars over the years-not at the same time. None now. Our next has FIVE and is still scouring sites for more. Do think of your neighbours; our lovely garden has become a cat toilet and, in places, stinks!

LadyGracie Tue 30-Jul-19 19:44:01

I could never be without a cat, two are better though. My sister has 22!

seacliff Tue 30-Jul-19 20:06:33

I think adult cats don't always want another cat "as company" especially if you are retired or home quite a bit. They can get jealous of each other. We have five, all under 5 years. They have fun hunting together, but most would, I think, be happy to be the only cat.

The other option. To be an indoor cat fosterer. CP pay for all food, litter, vets bills. You have the cat at home, and look after it until a permanent home is found. Sometimes it's a cat that has been poorly, or just one that hates being in an outside run, or one that needs some tlc after a horrible time. It is very rewarding.

Jane10 Tue 30-Jul-19 20:44:25

A vet colleague once lectured me on having more than one cat. She said that they are naturally solitary creatures and the only cats that live together in the wild are lions who have to hunt in packs. We had a think about that and realised that it was quite true. That's why we only have one now and he's 100% happier since our other cat departed.
The cats being 'company' for each other is a human construct not a genuine feline one.
Makes sense but wish we'd known so many years and cats later.

SueDonim Tue 30-Jul-19 21:02:01

We had an adorable kitten from Cats Protection about eight years ago. We lost her at five years of age due to a congenital heart condition. I was utterly devastated, which sounds ridiculous, but we had adored that little mite who never weighed more than about 2.5kilos. I swore no more cats, it was just too upsetting.

Fast forward a few months and I saw a poster from CPL for a cat identical to a friend's beautiful cat. That cat had gone by the time I phoned but CPL offered us others. That's how we now share our home with two Russian Blue brothers, enormous moggies of 11lb and 16lb that seemed the size of tigers compared to our little Willow.

These two are eternally affectionate, will sit on laps and round our necks all day long if they can get away with it. They are different in every way from Willow but equally adorable. We are so happy to have them in our lives and you too would adore any new cat in your life, Blacktabby2. smile

moggie57 Tue 30-Jul-19 21:09:46

go for it. you wont be doing your other cats that you had before justice. i too said no more cats after my tommy died in 2017 .i said i cant stand any more grief.then a chap on facebook wanted a home for his grandmother (who died) for her 16 year old cat. he knew that LUCKY being black would get a raw deal at a cats home. so muggins here who loves old/ill and resue cats said yes...i have had lucky now a year. he's lovely...bit deaf /. had never been outside for 15 years or to a vet either. he has heart murmur and kidney failure....i trained him on a harness to go outside.he now goes out by himself....he doesnt like cuddles as he was never handled to have any. but he's lovable in other ways...yes go for it .,get another moggy. plenty of rescue cats....think of the love you can give another cat....

B9exchange Tue 30-Jul-19 21:25:01

When our last two died we said no more, but we only lasted a month. Discovered that we had both been researching kittens without telling each other!

We have two boys from different litters, but made sure they arrived on the same day. 48 hours to settle in, and they spend all their time with they paws wrapped round each other.

With cat sitters (people who love cats who will come and sit for free for the accommodation) holidays are not a problem. You won't regret it!

Minniemoo Tue 30-Jul-19 21:27:15

Absolutely you can get another cat! Best decision you'll make. We're a dog family and know what you mean about the heartbreak when they pass, but you have love to give another cat so go for it!

paddyann Tue 30-Jul-19 21:43:08

we had a cat for 13 years and she died of throat cancer in 1988 .We couldn't replace her ,no other cat would do.3 years ago we promised my GD a kitten when we moved house,the house move fell through but we still got the kitten.He wasn't a lap cat or even particulary friendly,but a real character and he wormed his way into our lives and hearts.He was run over an dkilled last July.

We got 2 kittens at Christmas ,sisters .They get on fantastically well and are lovely ,lively affectionate wee fluffballs and we wouldn't be without them now.Get a new cat ,you wont regret it .