Gransnet forums

Pets

Rescue Dog

(38 Posts)
Framilode Thu 01-Aug-19 11:19:40

We have had dogs all our married life but our last dog died at Christmas and we said no more, but......in about 3 weeks our little rescue dog will arrive from Romania.

Hers is a sad story. She is 2 years old and has spent her life on a short chain in a yard and half starved. She became pregnant by a very large dog and was so swollen that she was crying in pain and couldn't stand any longer. Due to being so distended her skin had split down her spine and she was infested with maggots.

She was rescued and a hysterectomy performed and her split skin was treated with lasers. She is now in foster care and will be on her way to us soon.

We have never had a rescue dog before and I wonder if any of you have experience of this and can give us any tips.

TwiceAsNice Fri 02-Aug-19 10:02:08

I have never had a dog but 2 weeks ago got a rescue cat. The vet says she is about 4-5 years old and she had been living with an elderly lady who died very suddenly. Her son put the house on the market and threw Amie and another cat out onto the street.

The neighbours fed them for a bit then one of them took them to the rescue centre , she was there 4 weeks when I got her. She had not come out of the accommodation she was in choosing to live in one corner .

She was scared when she arrived and spent several days behind the sofa although she would allow me to coax her out. She now can’t get close enough to me and if she gets the chance spends half the day on my lap, she is so affectionate, licks my hand and nudges me with her head . She doesn’t like the dark and sleeps on my bed and meows when she wakes up looking to make sure I am still there I’m the dark. She is very vocal lol! I love her to bits, she is still wary of my family burp we are all cat lovers so she’s getting there and so will your little dog. Hope he gives you much happiness.

SueSocks Fri 02-Aug-19 11:02:40

Same as Bellsnanna, we have a very anxious rescue dog. Had her for 3 years, she will still scurry away if I drop a spoon on the floor. She's a bit reactive to other dogs if they come up to her, due to anxiety. We are working with a behaviourist and SLOWLY things are getting better. Having said that she is a lovely and loving dog, we have to be a bit careful when we see other dogs, she has yellow lead cover saying "I need space". Despite the issues I wouldn't be without her, she has so much love to give.
Framilode you will be fine, it's comes down to love, patience and taking things very slowly. If there are big issues consult a behaviourist - mine is amazing (Behavourist for the dog not me!).
Good luck and enjoy your new dog.

goldengirl Fri 02-Aug-19 11:10:25

We had a rescue dog. He'd not been ill treated but had been passed from pillar to post because he was bigger than anticipated. We had him from just over a year old and he made it to 12. He was a wonderful friend and we miss him very much. His only problem for us was that he would let people into our home but not let them out!!! I would certainly get a rescue dog again.

The funny thing was that I went to the rescue centre to look for a middle aged, middle sized female and came away with a young, large - and still growing - male!!! No regrets

GillT57 Fri 02-Aug-19 11:42:15

Twiceasnice that is a terrible story about those people throwing out their Mother's cats when she died, how heartless and cruel.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 02-Aug-19 15:37:21

You probably have thought of this already, but give her a basket or dog bed in a quite corner and talk to her but don't touch her when she is in her bed. It needs to be where she feels safe.

This worked well with two rescue cats and should work as well with a dog.

Try to avoid visitors until she has settled down.

2doodle Fri 02-Aug-19 15:58:41

Not sure if someone has said this but many overseas rescues escape in the early weeks/months and then are very, very hard to catch. They are used to fending for themselves. It is best to use both a harness and a collar on your new dog and to have a lead on each, in case one of the systems fails. Be really careful not to leave windows/doors/gates open and be sure your garden is absolutely secure before you let her out in it (they can get through really small-seeming holes and over quite high fences if they are determined). If you do lose her, inform www.doglost.co.uk IMMEDIATELY so you will get best advice and local help.

I would take it slowly, not stroking her until she feels ready and not introducing her to other people (particularly children) until she has settled in a bit and you have found out more about her (and any fears she is harbouring, which, with patience, you should be able to help her with).

phoenix Fri 02-Aug-19 19:33:33

Sending every good wish to you and your new girl!

TwiceAsNice Fri 02-Aug-19 19:49:40

GillT57 I know but I am giving her lots of attention and love. Her previous owner had obviously been kind to her and she has settled and seems to love me so win win !

GillT57 Fri 02-Aug-19 20:05:10

That's good to hear twiceasnice, our cat was a rescue, no cruelty we think, previous owners just couldn't look after him and their three other cats anymore and handed them all in to the local rescue ( better than chucking them out on the street!). After a day or so of hiding in wardrobes and behind bathroom cabinets, he decided we were ok and he was the best cat we ever had, heaps of personality and loved a lap, especially if said lap was trying to sew, or read a book.......

Patsy70 Sat 18-Jan-20 17:39:29

Just sent you a PM, Framilode, wondering how you're geting on.

Artdecogran Mon 20-Jan-20 22:21:10

And don’t forget it will take time for her to learn English! Wishing you a wonderful life with your new friend.

Patsy70 Thu 23-Jan-20 20:47:19

Apparently, language is not a problem. Dogs, generally, respond to the tone of voice and hand signals. In our experience, rescue dogs need time to trust you and be very comfortable in their new environment.