Gransnet forums

Pets

Another one who has to say goodbye ?

(33 Posts)
Flaxseed Wed 14-Aug-19 16:29:48

My gorgeous old cat is 16. He is the soppiest, most placid cat who has spent his life just wanting cuddles.
A few years ago he was extremely unsteady on his back legs, but on Metacam and time he improved.
A fortnight ago I noticed him struggling again. But once he’d had a stretch and got going, he was ok so I put it down to old age arthritis.
Last week he deteriorated. His back legs were so weak and wobbly, as if he’d a couple of bottles of vodka.
Vet suspected a spinal tumour but wasn’t sure and thought Metacam would relieve swelling and show a significant improvement.
But he’s got worse. Much worse. His back legs are like a huge burden to him and today he’s given up even trying to use them.
I have shut him in my room with a blanket, food, water and litter tray for the last couple of days as I feared he would fall from the top of the stairs.
Earlier this week he was still clawing his way onto my bed (literally dragging his hind legs behind him).
Today he hasn’t even bothered attempting that.
I have another vets appointment at 6pm and I have prepared myself to say goodbye but I feel so sad.
He has been the most adorable companion and I will miss him so much sad
Obviously I don’t want to say goodbye, but I feel it’s the right thing to do. But part of me is worried the vet might suggest scans, investigations etc and I will then feel so guilty saying I don’t want that. Do you think they will respect the fact that I just want him out of his misery now?
There is no way I would put him through operations/chemotherapy etc so I feel investigations would all be in vain.

Liaise Thu 15-Aug-19 06:07:13

So sorry. You did the right thing. We are in the same position and have to make a decision. It's hard. I had hoped to find him quietly gone this morning.

Loislovesstewie Thu 15-Aug-19 06:26:10

Another one giving you every sympathy. The same thing happened to my old cat a few years ago, back legs just stopped working. I comfort myself with the knowledge that I stopped his suffering and it really was for the best. I'm sure your lovely cat knows that you loved him.

Auntieflo Thu 15-Aug-19 08:53:12

Flaxseed, so sorry to hear about your cat, but he was much loved to the last.

Our DD has a very elderly cat, and I am dreading the time when we have to say goodbye to him.

Flaxseed Thu 15-Aug-19 15:57:29

I have cleared his bowls and carrier away today. Hoovered his favourite spot (on a pile of my winter boots wink and trying to focus on the fact that he’ll be home soon (his ashes obvs). I’ll scatter them round the garden and he can run free forever

Flaxseed Thu 15-Aug-19 15:58:21

Thank you for all of your kind words and sorry to anyone who is having to make that awful decision soon x

Liaise Fri 16-Aug-19 05:56:10

Flaxseed we made that decision yesterday. It turns out that there was more wrong with the cat than we realised. The vet says he was about seventeen years old. He had a good life after a bad start. The house feels empty.

Flaxseed Sun 18-Aug-19 15:57:06

liaise
I’m so sorry you had to go through this recently too.
It feels so weird without them doesn’t it? My poor old boy slept so much in his latter years, I didn’t think I’d miss his presence as much as I do.

My toddler grandson came round yesterday, went straight to my cupboard where the cat could often be found. He was pointing, saying ‘cat’ as the strip light was flicking on, but when the light came on, he looked all confused that he wasn’t there.
I had to say ‘All gone’ and it broke my heart sad