Gransnet forums

Pets

A cat who eats brocolli!!

(37 Posts)
Craftycat Tue 01-Oct-19 11:54:08

Last night we had a lovely chicken & cider casserole (September Waitrose recipe card- highly recommended!!).
I served it with tender steam broccoli for me- although DH thinks this is an invention of the devil as he does any green vegetable with the except peas. I left my plate on the side table next to me to go & get a drink & when I got back one of our totally mad cats had got the stalks off the plate onto the floor ( DH never noticed this of course!) stolen the broccoli stalks that I had left & was tucking into them with a vengeance. She ate both stems & looked for more!
It is just so wrong! We had a neighbour who's cat ate cucumber once but Broccoli stalks!! They are quite tough.
Now I admit this cat is a total one off & quite mad but the broccoli did not even have any sauce near it or anything.
Maybe she is just looking for a healthier diet.

Sallywally1 Wed 18-Dec-19 17:28:46

Well, cats chew grass so maybe broccoli is the same to a cat?

Tedber Sat 16-Nov-19 22:50:37

Aren’t they funny ?. One of our cats loved mint humbugs. Now I know cats like mint but this one would try to prise the sweets out of your mouth bahaha ?

watermeadow Thu 14-Nov-19 18:10:57

My cat was rescued from a feral colony at only 4 weeks old. He loves baked beans and I wonder if licking an empty tin was his first taste of solid food. Poor boy, he’s never got over his bad beginning.

Yehbutnobut Thu 14-Nov-19 08:35:17

Are you sure it’s not really a rabbit?

NfkDumpling Thu 14-Nov-19 08:34:59

One of my DGdogs loves lettuce. Lots of dogs like vegetables especially raw carrots but he’s the first I’ve known to beg for lettuce leaves.

Bathsheba Thu 14-Nov-19 08:26:48

We had a dog who loved to eat orange peel. She didn't like the orange itself, just the peel. My daughter's dog eats just about anything (well he is a golden labrador...), but one thing he goes really crazy for is banana, his absolute favourite food.

TwiceAsNice Thu 14-Nov-19 08:12:04

Amie likes chopped up cold turkey and cheese and melted butter. Caught her licking a plate clean of butter before I had chance to put it in the dishwasher. Will eat white fish but not the skins. Daughters cats love fish skins and a little bit of cream

Alectia Thu 14-Nov-19 05:41:34

My cat eats everything that is lying on the table. I have to keep an eye on her.

Nannytopsy Mon 28-Oct-19 05:42:15

Our cat is very fond of fruit cake too.

TwiceAsNice Sun 27-Oct-19 22:59:04

My cat loves cold sliced turkey I buy for sandwiches and likes licking the butter off the plate that has had toast on it , if I’m daft enough to leave it within reach

cornergran Sun 27-Oct-19 22:20:24

Our dog loved spaghetti bolognese, he would reverse across the kitchen dragging it behind him looking at me as if to say ‘mess, what mess?’

DillytheGardener Sun 27-Oct-19 22:03:29

My late dog loved sweet corn. He looked hilarious chewing the kernels off the cob. Massive mess but happy dog.

GagaJo Sun 27-Oct-19 22:02:45

One of my two Chinese cats, when first adopted in Shanghai, had a real thing for carbs. Her particular favourite was Madeira cake, but she'd make do with bread or biscuits too.

I once caught her with a pinched avocado rind, which she was in the process of eating out of my shoe (where she'd put it with the specific purpose of eating it), while growling at her brother to stay away.

She only wants cat food or fish these days. Not sure if she had some sort of deficiency when she was younger, due to being an adopted stray.

MeganPerry Sun 27-Oct-19 21:58:14

ha ha ha were very interesting.
But cats are really unpredictable.

MeganPerry Sun 27-Oct-19 21:57:16

The haunts were very interesting.
But cats are really unpredictable.

agnurse Sat 12-Oct-19 18:22:45

grannysyb

When I was a teenager we had a dog who loved raspberries. Mum had raspberry canes in the back of the vegetable patch. When she picked raspberries she would always make sure to give a few to the dog when she was on her way back to the house.

Purpledaffodil Sat 12-Oct-19 17:16:09

Our cat used to love sultanas from a fruitcake. She was a bit of a fruitcake herself!?

grannysyb Sat 12-Oct-19 17:09:13

I had a little cat who loved peas. DDs dog adores carrots and spends hours staring at the fridge. He gets any carrot feelings and two or three large carrots every day!

agnurse Sat 12-Oct-19 13:31:09

When I was a child we had a cat who ate peas. My parents' cat has been known to eat spinach, and apparently their other cat got excited about plastic toy peas, although I don't think she tried to eat them.

Our Gatsby is very fond of raw eggs. (Sometimes when Hubby is making eggs he gives a little bit to Gatsby.)

Ironically we used to have a cat named Mr. Bigglesworth (Biggie) who did not eat human food. Not even tuna (though he would drink tuna water). Wouldn't touch it. If you gave him a little piece of ham or something, he would sit there and look at it until our other cat made off with it. Then again he wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. He tried to make friends with a dog once grin

fizzers Thu 03-Oct-19 15:03:53

All three cats are partial to Walkers cheese and onion crisps, no other brands - just those. They also like to 'steal' pizza, buttered toast, pasta, mash, but try and give them any type of fish, sardines, tuna or cooked fish and they will storm off in a huff, they also don't like cooked chicken, they are odd

lemongrove Thu 03-Oct-19 13:42:12

Forgot to add, most of our cats loved fairy cakes, warm from the oven.

lemongrove Thu 03-Oct-19 13:40:44

Cats and dogs are all different with their food likes/dislikes much as we are.Some breeds will eat anything ( Labradors, Springers) some are very picky.
All the cats we have had over the years were very different,
Pickles would eat anything at all ( literally) Alfie liked chips,
Ginger went mad for ham( but not other cold meats) Sooty liked eggs ( even raw, dropped on the floor) Dillon would beg like a dog for cheese.Brandy would only eat cat food, Wilkie caught and ate his own food ( on the hoof!) but would go crazy for chopped liver or cooked roast chicken.

BradfordLass72 Thu 03-Oct-19 13:29:36

My dog loved cheese and just the smell made him salivate.
When he ate it, he made a very particular 'cheese noise' smile

His other eccentricity was digging his way out of the garden and dashing to the nearby children's playground where he would go up and down the slide.

I usually slice my broc and cauli stalks very thing and pickle them. Delicious.

Miep1 Thu 03-Oct-19 11:00:05

Cornflake will kill for Apple cake. Miep loves anything really hot. Mardi Gras, the insane tortoiseshell, nicks grapes. The others eat anything else between them!

Craftycat Thu 03-Oct-19 10:18:36

I'd better make her a crumble then, Granny's Buttons!!
She is a one off TBH but then most cats are! Well our 4 are anyway- all have their little foibles & I don't think there is any such thing as a 'normal'cat- well we've never had one anyway & I have never lived a day of my life without cats in the house.