Gransnet forums

Pets

Saying goodbye to my beautiful cat

(27 Posts)
whywhywhy Wed 06-Nov-19 10:51:17

I had to have my beautiful cat euthanized yesterday and my heart is broken. She was 20.5 years old, had diabetes for the last 9 years and also had some arthritis. In the last couple of days she hadn't ate/drank or used the cat litter tray. I will miss her like mad as she was my little best friend. The vet and nurse who came to the house were really good and I held her as she fell asleep. My heart feels ripped out.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 06-Nov-19 10:57:01

Yes, I understand. My old cat of 20 years was put to sleep a couple of months ago. I still miss him. He got increasingly ill and had difficulty eating and wasn't really enjoying life any more. The vet said it was the right decision for the right reasons and I wasn't to feel guilty ... but I still feel a little sad without him.
When I went out I used to say, "Cheerio Robbie," what am I to say now? "Bye, house," ? I won't get another as I don't want the worry but I miss his presence. The sadness will soften in time.

GrandmaJan Wed 06-Nov-19 11:02:59

So sorry to read this whywhywhy it’s obviously going to be very upsetting because she was a member of your family. I know what you’re going through because I’ve had 2 cats that due to illness had to be euthanised and both times my heart was breaking. Obviously time will heal and in the mean time just think about the lovely memories flowers

ladymuck Wed 06-Nov-19 11:07:49

I do so sympathise, having been through it many times myself. Be comforted that she was loved and had a good life with you. So many animals are not so lucky.

EllanVannin Wed 06-Nov-19 11:08:43

I can sympathise because I had my Kitty euthanised at home some 6 or more years ago and she was well in her 20's. I was devastated as I held her and inconsolable after the vet left with her. It was all done so very reverently but it took me a long time to get over it. Kitty had diabetes too latterly.

Would you believe that in the summer of the same year and I had my patio door open that a cat walked in and made itself at home ? Same colouring, black and white but I could see that it wasn't a stray and was wearing a collar but no name.
A friend looked on her phone for lost cats and immediately rang the owner giving my address of where it was. The owner didn't bother calling to pick him up and the cat didn't show any sign of leaving either and he's been here ever since. He's not a youngster but full of character.

I blame it for inviting two more " guests " to come along, so I have 3 of them now and wouldn't be without them. They soon fell into my routine that I had with Kitty and I've never had any problems as they love their home.

Nortsat46 Wed 06-Nov-19 11:19:32

www sending you and your beloved furry one lots of good thoughts.
In time, all your memories of her will be happy ones.

EllanVannin loved your story of the cat who walked in and stayed (and later brought friends).

I think cats add huge richness to our lives.

Dee1012 Wed 06-Nov-19 11:29:07

I'm so sorry for your loss.... I've had pets all of my life and each time one has passed, the loss has been heartbreaking. I once heard pets described as "little people in fur coats" which I loved and they do become a friend, a comfort, a source of companionship. I have no words of wisdom but I would suggest the strongest thing you can do is to allow yourself the space to cry. Sitting with our emotions can be incredibly hard within the grief process. Sometimes we feel as though we will never stop. Some of us don't want to face the grief or move through the pain. We can attempt to distract ourselves by throwing ourselves into our work, cleaning frantically, or running away from the pain.
In order to begin the healing process, we must sit with our emotions and allow ourselves to process. To experience the pain means that the connection we shared was real, was powerful, and that connection and memories shared are something that's never lost.
Her little paw prints will remain on your heart.flowers

Jane10 Wed 06-Nov-19 12:46:49

Awww. Sorry to hear this. Sounds like you really did your very best for your little friend. Very good that the vet came to the house so she could slip away off to sleep in her familiar surroundings and was spared a traumatic trip to the vets surgery. ?

phoenix Wed 06-Nov-19 12:48:16

It's one of the hardest things any pet lover has to do flowers, but also the last act of love we can show them.

Doodle Wed 06-Nov-19 13:54:38

So sorry for you. It is so hard to make that decision.

Namsnanny Wed 06-Nov-19 14:01:07

flowers

Sparklefizz Wed 06-Nov-19 14:20:28

whywhywhy So sorry to hear this. My heart goes out to you. I have been in your situation several times and know how painful and shattering it is to have to make that terrible decision. As phoenix says, it's the last act of love we can show them.

Let yourself cry and grieve for your loss. flowers

I have a "kitty corner" in my house with photos of all the cats I have loved and lost in my life. I find it comforting.

whywhywhy Wed 06-Nov-19 18:33:37

Thank you x

SalsaQueen Wed 06-Nov-19 21:55:38

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. Of course, you'll miss her and her little ways. Cats have their own personalities - I've had several cats over the past 39 years and they've all been different.

You did the right thing by your cat - you looked after her for all that time, and it was because you cared for her so well that she lived to be such a big age. It was time for her to go. Like any bereavement, it will ease with time, and perhaps you'll give another cat a loving home. Best wishes x

seacliff Wed 06-Nov-19 23:10:51

Oh how sad for you. I too know just how you feel, have been there several times sadly.

She lived to a very good age, especially given her health problems, thanks to your devotion. You did the kindest thing for her, especially saying goodbye in the peace of your home.

The house must feel so empty now, I do feel for you. Maybe you might make and print out a collage of photos of her, at some point. A lovely memory. Best wishes.

crazyH Wed 06-Nov-19 23:17:19

So sorry - we had to have our big old softie Rotweeler put down. I wanted him home when he was euthanised, with all the family round him. As the Vet took him away, he and his assistant were having a joke - Till today, I think he was mocking our emotion, though I guess he does see a lot.

GrannyLondon Thu 07-Nov-19 00:04:36

I am so sorry, it's heartbreaking when you lose a beloved pet.
I have had quite a few cats & dogs over the years & I've loved them all.

You have lost a dear friend, so please be kind to yourself & allow yourself time to grieve & remember all you did for each other.

Thinking of you. x

QuaintIrene Thu 07-Nov-19 00:29:43

Oh I am so sorry.
It is heartbreaking, but Kitty had all your love and a happy home. You couldn’t have done any more, even at the very end to make her comfortable and be free from suffering.
Much love x

CrazyH, that is awful. I hope you never give that vet another penny. Inexcusable.

Tedber Thu 07-Nov-19 16:18:48

Understand totally. I lost mine this year and he was relatively young. I was heartbroken. Like all deaths you go through the grieving process and you do start to feel better. Just remember what a great life you gave him. x

whywhywhy Fri 08-Nov-19 17:55:47

The pain is so raw.

QuaintIrene Sun 10-Nov-19 17:06:48

I hope you are feeling a bit better today. There will come a time when you look back with more happy memories and the sadness recedes x

whywhywhy Tue 12-Nov-19 14:09:53

Thank you for the lovely kind words. I miss her like mad as she was my little best friend. I can't look at her photos today. It's one week today since she went. X

Smileless2012 Tue 12-Nov-19 14:17:25

Just seen this thread whywhywhy and just wanted to do as others have done and express my sympathy.

Given time you'll be able to look at photo's of her and enjoy the memories those will trigger.

flowers x

Kupari45 Wed 13-Nov-19 20:38:18

Whywhywhy- So sorry to hear about your cat.
My daughter had to have her cat euthanised three days before you. She is very upset.
She lives on her own and its the first pet she has had.
I told her about your post and when she comes to visit on saturday I am going to show her the kind replies you received.
She said the worst thing is getting home now in the dark after work, and no little face to welcome her when she gets through the door.

Alectia Thu 14-Nov-19 05:32:02

That's very sad.
But now she is in a better place.flowers