Gransnet forums

Pets

Dog and wedding

(336 Posts)
kiki2 Wed 20-Nov-19 12:43:39

My son is getting married next year and has just told me that his future wife will not have our dog anywhere near her ´ on the day
We are dog-lovers and so is my son but she isn’t
I am quite upset about this as we have nobody who could look after our dog and the wedding won’t be local so it won’t be a question of just leaving at home
We don’t want to put him in kennels either , obviously I know that he can’t come to the reception but all I was hoping for was that he could be in a couple of photos , he is in my opinion a member of the family .
So , am I being silly for thinking this ; can I just go ahead anyway and bring him out for the odd photo ?
Obviously , whoever holds him would make sure he doesn’t jump up the bride in her beautiful dress.
What do you think ? What would you do ?
I don’t want a row with my son or future Dil but don’t want to leave my dog behind .
The whole thing feels mean anyway
Would welcome advice , thank you

SirChenjin Tue 26-Nov-19 17:34:45

We must have some kind of user privilege Tedber!

Summerlove Tue 26-Nov-19 22:34:33

I miss the feature desperately.

I very definitely used to have it bluebelle

NotSpaghetti Wed 27-Nov-19 00:04:33

Wish I had it too....

AGAA4 Thu 28-Nov-19 16:07:07

Oh dear! weddings can cause such upset. I have known people whose children haven't been on the invitation, which has made things awkward. I just step back and let the couple have whoever they want (or don't want) at their wedding. Important day for them so we should try to make it stress free.
I understand you love your dog and he is one of the family but you should respect their wishes

EthelJ Fri 29-Nov-19 13:25:09

If I am logged in I always get OP posts in green too. It makes it much easier to see if they have responded to posts. I use an android phone.

Quercus Fri 29-Nov-19 13:51:07

You are invited to the wedding. The dog is not. Do not be ridiculous. It is a dog not a person and has no place in wedding celebrations or photos. I realise we are a nation of dog lovers but this is one of the most absurd examples I have yet encountered.

sodapop Fri 29-Nov-19 16:03:38

The OP is not taking the dog - end of.

arcadia03 Wed 01-Jan-20 10:06:02

I can understand that you may not want to leave your dog in kennels. Our last rescue dog, who would have certainly feared kennels, as an abandonment, had to be left in the car with frequent walks at my youngest son's wedding. When my eldest son was married in a dog friendly hotel, I was able to leave our dog in our hotel room. It all worked out, but I think you need to respect the wedding ceremony.

Woolleycat Thu 30-Jan-20 07:55:42

My dog went to my daughter’s wedding! No question of leaving her out- she’s a family member. Your son is being thoughtless.

Woolleycat Thu 30-Jan-20 08:55:19

My dog went to my daughters wedding..... there was no question of her not going as she is a family member. Your son is being thoughtless, doesn’t bode well for the future with you new DIL