Gransnet forums

Pets

How long does pet loss grief last?

(89 Posts)
MommaP Tue 31-Dec-19 10:59:36

Any advice?

Had to have our rescue lab Marley put to sleep Friday night before Christmas. Very sudden but totally right thing to do but a giant black lab shaped hole in my life. Am very emotional still - I got call his ashes are ready to collect and I'm a blubbering mess again.... I know life will get better eventually

Shazmo24 Wed 01-Jan-20 09:32:59

I still miss my cat Domino after 2 years...I even call for him when coming into the house as my head says he's not here but my heart wont let go xx

TashHag Wed 01-Jan-20 09:33:11

So sorry OP. I know how you feel.

It’s 18 months since we lost our lovely little staff/jack russell cross, Pearl, and I still miss her. (In fact, I’ve just taken down the Pearl calendar my daughter made me last Christmas)

Life goes on and I hope one day to have another dog of my own - currently looking after my neighbour’s dog while she’s away - but I think there will always be times when I feel sad about my Pearly girl. Our pets are part of our family, except they never argue or let us down or say an unkind word, and are always delighted to see us.... it’s no wonder we get so attached when you think about it.

downtoearth Wed 01-Jan-20 09:42:41

Our beautiful black lab Ellie, has been gone for 4 years at the end if January.

She was such a wonky donkey with all manner of things wrong with her,but was such a gentle loving girl.

I still grieve for her

Juicylucy Wed 01-Jan-20 09:44:13

I’m reading this with tears rolling down my face as I’m watching my old girl eat her breakfast she’s 15 with few health issues and I’m absolutely dreading the day. I love her so much as I’m sure you do yours. They bring us so much joy, and love but heartache to. Just sending hugs to you, be kind to yourself. Have you read rainbow bridge it’s a lovely poem for loss of an animal. You can google it.

Brigidsdaughter Wed 01-Jan-20 09:46:19

15 months since I lost my precious cat, Bagheera. His ashes are on a chest of drawers in my bedroom. I've been ready for a while to get a new cat. Perhaps 5/6 months but have been dogsitting in that time so have not done that yet.

My heart goes out to you. I was a blubbering mess too. It got easier after a few weeks but we often talk about him still. Sinetunes I call the little dog his name by mistake.
Having been and still am a cat person, having had the dogs for a while I am now used to and really enjoy their welcome home, love and boisterous ness, etc and can really empathise with the loss you are feeling. It's natural. Dont get too annoyed at some others cool response - only an animal lover will get it. Or polite people will try.
I couldn't help reevaluate a few based on their blankness to my grief ♥️

Bluebird64 Wed 01-Jan-20 09:48:00

I've always had smaller and larger pets, mainly cats, dogs and guinea pigs, and have suffered much grief at their eventual loss. For me, getting a new pet is the only answer. It will never be a 'replacement', but it is a tribute to the deceased pet that they gave us so much joy that we want to experience it again.....

Aepgirl Wed 01-Jan-20 09:51:55

It’s far to soon to have ‘got over your grief’. It takes time. It’s not helpful (and quite hurtful) when people think that the death of a pet is less important than that of a human. Take your time, cry if you feel like it, and don’t try to forget - remember the fun times spent with your lovely lab.

Jan16 Wed 01-Jan-20 09:53:36

Our beautiful little schnauzer died in Sept 2018. She had a heart murmur but died very suddenly when my daughter was looking after her and we were away for the weekend at the other daughters. It was devastating. We have made the big decision not to have another dog as we are getting older and couldn’t give it all the exercise it would need and also we couldn’t face the heartbreak again. We have in the past had another puppy soon after the loss of another dog and although the new dog doesn’t take away the pain of losing your old dog a new puppy brings new life and something to look after and love.

Witzend Wed 01-Jan-20 10:03:48

Sending lots of sympathy, MommaP.

From experience it can last quite a while.
We lost our dog and cat - we’d had both for over 14 years - both had to be PTS within 6 weeks, and TBH we’d left it too long with both, because the decision is so awful to have to make.,

It seemed a long time before the house stopped feeling so empty and sad.

It’s still so very new and raw for you. I do hope you will find your grief begins to ease a little soon, but in the meantime it’s quite normal IMO to have a really good cry. xx

LeeN137 Wed 01-Jan-20 10:12:34

Condolences never seem adequate, but you have mine. The pain will ease, but how long it'll take is unique to you, Marley and the support of your other loved ones. Eventually, you may feel able to give another pet a home - it'll never replace Marley, but will help, so long as you don't feel pressured into it.

Psalmody Wed 01-Jan-20 10:22:51

So very sorry for you all, it is a hot wrench, but on a positive note your grief is evidence of your love. I have found the attitude of thankfulness as a response to the sadness helps to smooth the sting of grief. We are so privileged to have these wonderful creatures in our lives.

whywhywhy Wed 01-Jan-20 10:29:32

So very sorry to hear of your loss. Take as long as you need to grieve as its not an overnight experience. I had to have my beautiful rescue tabby cat PTS on 5th Nov and it still hurts like hell. She was 20.5 years old and had diabetes for the last 9 years. She was my little best friend. I cry every day. Sending you love and hugs xx

silvercollie Wed 01-Jan-20 10:36:03

Momma P - 16 months now and I cannot read these messages, so know how you feel. We are all different in how we manage. Time helps. Thinking of you.

driverann Wed 01-Jan-20 10:41:04

We have had black Labradors for the past 40 plus years. We lost our last one 5 years ago aged 8, I have never got over it and miss him so much, he was just perfect in every way. I also feel guilty that I was not with him when he was put down.
We took him to the vets because he kept twitching as if he was in pain of some sort. The vet said leave Charlie with them and they would scan him and phone us to collect him. I telephoned later to check if they had done the scan but they said they were busy and would let us know. After 6 hours I phoned to find out what was going on. I was told they had done the scan and Charlie had a large tumour that could not be operated on. I asked how long would he last with that, the vet replied “Oh I’ve already carried out euthanasia he’s gone”
The shock of taking him for a checkup to being told that has stayed with me to this day. We have not had any pets since.

dinks13 Wed 01-Jan-20 10:41:49

So so sorry for your sad loss of Marley. I feel your pain. I lost my beautiful 16 and a half year old Lucy 8 years ago and still cry. She had been through so much with me and definitely helped my then 6 year old daughter (31 now), get through a dreadful illness. Luckily I wasn’t working at the time, as I never left the house for nearly 3 weeks. The only thing that helped to ease the pain a little was rescuing a poor dog that needed a home. Thinking of you , as I am sure many other dog lovers are on here. Take care. X

Camelotclub Wed 01-Jan-20 10:48:23

When my cat was put to sleep in summer of 2014 I cried so much I gave myself gastritis! But we got a new kitten about 3 months later and that helped greatly. The price we pay for loving something that is usually going to die before us unless we get a tortoise or parrot!

SillyNanny321 Wed 01-Jan-20 10:49:14

Had manypets over many years& losing them has always hurt so much. My lovely little black cat mum & 'baby' (7 yr old) were with me for 5+ years until Little Mum( Willow) had to be pts with a virulent tumour that took just a few weeks to take my lovely girl. Her daughter had never been away from her Mum & we both still miss Willow so much. When I rescued them I thought I would have more time with them. That was October & I still get tearful thinking about her she was so loved. I still feel upset sometimes thinking of the two rescued boys that were with me for 15 years till they died a few months apart 6+ years ago. Grief over lost pets never goes it just blurs round the edges with time!

NemosMum Wed 01-Jan-20 11:13:09

I'm so sorry you lost your beloved dog! It's early days yet. My friend's vet advised her to get a puppy straight away - she was sceptical, but did, and it was the best thing they ever did. The pup did not replace their lovely chocolate lab, and they still grieved for her, but they had a new project and hope for the future. You might want to consider it.

Dianehillbilly1957 Wed 01-Jan-20 11:18:38

Sadly our pets steal our hearts and keep them forever. I miss all my past animals down to my crazy guinea pig, all were valued.
But keep the memories, move on & bring a homeless hound back into your life who will love you for it, when you're ready of course...

Cobweb01 Wed 01-Jan-20 11:44:47

Our pets are a part of our family and our daily lives. Nothing is the same when they are gone - grieving takes as long as it takes and there is no time limit as they will always be a part of you and your memories. It is the same as any grief in that we learn to live without our loved one, person or pet, but never stop loving or missing them.

MadeInYorkshire Wed 01-Jan-20 12:00:32

Oh I am sorry, it is heartbreaking ....

Time is whatever you need, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

When I lost my faithful old lad Jethro, I was devastated, but even more devastated than I was Maisie our other dog, who had been with him since she was a puppy - she pined and pined for him crying all the time, it was awful to see - and so I got her a new rescue companion within a week - and she returned to 'normal' quite quickly. That wasn't my initial plan, but it had to be done for her, and "Dora The Explorer is a lovely girl, albeit a bird murderer if she gets the chance!

Do what you need to - they NEVER replace the one you have lost, but they occupy another bit of your heart and become family once again ... x

vinasol Wed 01-Jan-20 12:06:19

My heart goes out to all of you who have lost beloved pets. They truly are part of the family who give you unconditional love and are there to listen to your troubles and woes xxx

Dogdays Wed 01-Jan-20 12:14:04

The Blue Cross have a helpline: 0800 0966606 for those who have lost pets. Hope that helps.

Classic Wed 01-Jan-20 12:30:12

One thing over the years that I have learnt is that the grief takes as long as it needs, but when my beloved dog died in the summer, I decided not to go years without another as I had previous to him. When I got rescue dog Alfie five years after my previous dog died I just felt that I had wasted 5 years that I could have been enjoying the love of a good dog
When Alfie died I hurt so much I thought my heart would break. I got another rescue dog, Mia and though I still grieve for Alfie, I have another little rescue dog that needs my love and care and who loves me back. Dont waste time thinking when you stop grieving will be the time to get one. Take a chance on loving another dog, it's worth it

Chino Wed 01-Jan-20 12:30:22

I have had many cats since I got married in 1960 - I did say when Chino died 2 years ago that I would not have another but my daughter's persuaded me.
I have now had a 10 year old rescue cat who had never been out at all which is a good thing as my husband and I moved to a retirement apartment in August and could only have a cat there as long as she did not go outside
However I am 81 and my husband is 87 so I do worry that she might outlive us - however I know my daughter's would try and find a good home for her.