Gransnet forums

Pets

Cats past and present - some behaving badly.

(26 Posts)
fatgran57 Mon 23-Mar-20 02:47:33

Our dear little grey girl and our horrible big black boy.

Sadly our little girl died last year and I don't think we will ever stop missing her.

They are/were terrors for getting up on the furniture.

vampirequeen Mon 23-Mar-20 06:42:37

They're beautiful. I used to have a smoky grey cat too. I called him Spike after the big dog in Tom and Jerry because he was tiny when we got him. He always seemed to be having a bad hair day and could never get his fur to lay smoothly like a real cat grin, I had to leave him behind when I escaped but he was my comforter when things were bad. He would wait for ex to settle upstairs then snuggle up to me on the sofa. If ex moved even slightly he would cock an ear, listen then go back to his cat cave so that if ex came into the room, he and I would look totally innocent (ex wouldn't allow him to be on the sofa even if he was on my knee).

GagaJo Mon 23-Mar-20 07:38:55

My lovely long suffering indoor ex-alley cats. They're not keen on my noisy, loud, boisterous grandson. HE is a real wimp but once jumped out of a window after a bird and SHE swallowed one of my sewing needles, necessitating a thousand pound operation.

fatgran57 Mon 23-Mar-20 07:48:38

He sounds lovely vampirequeen Do you have another cat now? How we miss them the ones we have lost sad

We have never actually bought a pet, all have just appeared in the yard or people have landed them on us.

Even both our birds were strays.One was a rainbow lorikeet and I loved him so much.
He would come out of his cage every night for hours at a time - we had to cover all the furniture with old towels because his bowels were extremely copious.
When another friend landed us with a little yellow canary the canary became the lorikeets pet! The canary was quite horrible but a funny character.

Even the pet rat was dumped on us by a daughter but I loved him also, He used to sit on my shoulder. Got a funny look from the postman one day when I wore the rat to the mailbox!

fatgran57 Mon 23-Mar-20 07:53:21

Oh my goodness GagaJo what an expensive stray she became! Vet bills are so expensive nowadays.

I love the pic of the cat smooching your husband(?)

And the one on the high shelf!!! aren't they devils sometimes.

They look lovely though all the same. I love cats.

GardenerGran Mon 23-Mar-20 08:04:23

Our greedy girl 14 yr old Milly, was my brother’s cat, he sadly died due to alcoholism 2 years ago. She’d had a rough time and was in poor condition. Now has the life of Riley. When not sleeping spends most of time trying to get more food from us and has gone from being underweight to a bit of a podge. Very fussy about which bit of her body we are allowed to stroke but we love her.

Rosalyn69 Mon 23-Mar-20 09:37:06

My beloved Poodie - half Bengal and wild and beautiful. Sadly run over 18 months ago on our quiet private road. She was just 3 years old.
We got a preowned who sadly already had FIV. He had three lovely months with us before he passed.
Now we have Lily. Another middle aged preowned.
My house is not a home without a cat.

Rosalyn69 Mon 23-Mar-20 09:38:21

fatgran57
Your post made me smile. smile

vampirequeen Mon 23-Mar-20 10:05:57

I didn't get another cat because the tenancy agreement didn't allow me to.

GagaJo Mon 23-Mar-20 10:11:04

I have a funny cat story, vampirequeen, relating to a no cats allowed tenancy.

I had my cats from when I was married. I wasn't getting rid of them despite going into rented accomodation when I left my husband. So everytime the letting agent came round to do a check, I put the cats in their vet boxes and put them in the car.

On the final occasion, I got fed up with doing it, so just shut them outside. The agent NEVER checked outside. Except on this occasion, he wanted to. AND it was raining. So the cats heard the door open and streamed in (all 4 of them).

Had to pretend they were the neighbours cats and shoo them out again. Have you ever tried to herd cats?

vampirequeen Mon 23-Mar-20 10:44:25

grin

grandtanteJE65 Mon 23-Mar-20 12:20:34

This is our current much loved cat. I tell him, he is the most beautiful cat in the world. (But I said that to all his predecessors too).

fatgran57 Wed 25-Mar-20 06:12:11

Some lovely cats here.

vampirequeen What a shame your tenancy agreement didn't allow you to have a cat.

I hope Spike was well cared for after you had to leave him behind, very sad.

vampirequeen Wed 25-Mar-20 06:46:43

My ex didn't like him but continued to feed him so at least that was something. He died but I don't know how. I hope it was old age.

oscaro11 Thu 26-Mar-20 11:41:46

My lovely cat, who we both think the world of. Every day he does something to make us laugh. Much needed at the moment.

ValerieF Fri 27-Mar-20 18:05:12

My lovely boy, Duke, no longer with us (died suddenly last year) but who brought us so much joy. Miss him lots. sad

SalsaQueen Fri 27-Mar-20 18:32:43

My tabby boy Mr Cooper, and the black & white one is Stella, who was PTS almost 2 years ago, at the age of 18

nonnasusie Fri 27-Mar-20 20:05:31

Miss Kitty and Jack. They were scrawny kittens when we found them and we didn't think they would survive. They eat us out of house and home now! DH spoils them rotten ?

lemongrove Fri 27-Mar-20 20:21:51

grandtante ....thought that was MY cat ( identical)?

LadyGracie Fri 27-Mar-20 22:55:40

Paddy

B9exchange Fri 27-Mar-20 22:59:55

Out two horrors, one of them gulped their breakfast and brought it up on the landing, and walked across my seedlings in the kitchen!

lemongrove Sat 28-Mar-20 13:16:16

This is Plato ( a thoughtful cat who sits by his plate a lot in case food magically appears)smile

GagaJo Sat 28-Mar-20 15:19:45

Dramatic xray photograph of my still healthy and lively female cat (from 2 years ago). She would still chew my sewing thread, given the opportunity.

michellestoclet Wed 01-Apr-20 14:44:03

I have 2 ragdolls that are the cutest thing ever. Did you consider getting him a new companion?

Paula53 Fri 08-May-20 15:57:30

I’ve got 2 cats