Gransnet forums

Pets

Dogs are born to Run

(48 Posts)
ValerieF Sat 04-Apr-20 16:22:01

Just hearing that some local authorities are issuing blanket bans on dogs being let off the lead in open areas?

Their reasoning is that if the dogs are not well behaved then their owners may have to get closer to other people to retrieve them.

Now I can 'get' this and I think if you have a dog with bad recall then it makes sense to keep them on a lead. However, the majority of dogs (in my area anyway) are exceptionally well behaved and obedient. I am fortunate enough to live in an area where we have a lot of open spaces. What I have noticed is that people ARE respecting the rules, fewer people out, only going once a day, dogs running about but returning on command. No people are needing to be up close for any reason.

Why a total ban concerns me so much is: Dogs do need to run. IF the whole country bans any form of chasing balls off lead then wouldn't that increase the footfall on pavements with owners walking longer distances to ensure their pets have enough exercise? Dogs can actually get depressed if they don't have enough exercise and many people don't have gardens big enough for this.

I sincerely hope it never comes 'law' here and that the Government does realise that not everybody has a dog that will ignore its owner. In fact, I would go as far as to say it is the minority and rather than a complete ban I would rather guidelines were issued e.g. IF your dog is likely to run off with strangers and not return then keep them on a lead. Makes more sense than depriving ALL dogs just in case..

Smileless2012 Sat 04-Apr-20 16:26:11

We have 2 dogs. Our toy poodle doesn't go off lead because he's a law unto himself so we use an extending lead. Our cockapoo on the other hand has excellent re call.

That said we don't let her off at the moment unless there's no one else around just to be on the safe side.

I agree with you Valerie but it' often the way isn't it that the majority are 'punished' because of the irresponsibility of the minority.

millymouge Sat 04-Apr-20 16:31:33

We are fortunate enough to live in a area with open fields so that we can avoid meeting others. However I have noticed recently that the majority of people that normally let their dogs run free, even with good recall, are being contentious and keeping them on leads. We are all having to be extra careful at this awful time and if it means keeping your dog on a lead so that you don’t have to go near someone to retrieve it if it decides to wander then so be it. My two stay on the lead and will do so. The sooner we all do our bit (dogs included) the sooner things will get better.

SirChenjin Sat 04-Apr-20 16:32:49

Unfortunately, as Smileless rightly says, the irresponsible ones spoil it for everyone. We live in a semi rural location with beautiful woodland and riverside trails and as a result a lot of dog owners walk their dogs here. I have lost count of the number of times I’ve witnessed and experienced dogs with absolutely no recall annoying other walkers - and then when these walkers dare to object they’re told they’re over reacting and the dog is simply being friendly (although not always in such polite terms).

Guidelines will just be ignored -some people do get very uppity about their dogs.

AGAA4 Sat 04-Apr-20 16:36:51

I walk in a place that dogs love as there is lots of space for them to run and have fun.
I have no problem with them as the owners are responsible and the dogs will return to them if called.
I know most of the dogs that go there but unfortunately during this lockdown people have been coming from outside the area and some of the dogs are out of control.

As usual it is the few who cause problems for the many as they are breaking the rules by driving here in the first place and then letting their dogs get away from them and causing problems for other dog owners.

Eglantine21 Sat 04-Apr-20 16:38:53

A shame obedient dogs shoul suffer, except I would say that the around here it’s the majority of dogs who haven’t been trained to come when called.

I posted at the start of social distancing about how I tried to go for a walk but had to abandon it permanently because of friendly dogs that bounded up to me followed by their owners to retrieve them.

I haven’t been out since.

Perhaps free runs for dogs until 8am and people time after that?

I don’t know......

ValerieF Sat 04-Apr-20 16:43:01

Gosh AGAA4 never thought of people actually driving to other areas to walk their dogs? I guess I am a bit insular in that I tend to know all the other dog walkers and their dogs. But maybe fining the owners is the way forward? Breaking the rules by driving to other areas? Oh mi so hard isn't it?

MamaCaz Sat 04-Apr-20 16:45:12

While walking down a quiet countryside track the other day, minding my own business, I was sort-of attacked by an off-the-lead dog, so I am all in favour of this.

When I say 'sort-of', I mean that the dog and its owner were walking towards me, the owner on the opposite side of the track from me but the dog on my side. When it reached me, it suddenly became very aggressive, and made as if to bite me - its mouth did make contact with the back of my leg, but fortunately nothing more. Meanwhile, the owner smiled as she passed me, as if nothing had happened. I glared back.

Just as well that's all that happened, as this would not be a good time to have to seek medical attention for a bite!

52bright Sat 04-Apr-20 16:50:57

Our little dog has very good, but I wouldn't say excellent recall. In view of this, in the current situation, she is allowed off lead where we don't see other dogs within reasonable distance. This is because where walkers without dogs are approaching she will definitely come when called but if she gets a bit close to other dogs she will run over to explore. In general, when we recall her, she will obey, but sometimes other nice dogs who, in normal times, we are quite happy for her to interact with, don't return when their owners call them. In view of this we think it's best for us to put her back on lead if other dogs approach. In compliance with good ownership practise we find when we do this other owners also put their dogs on their leads. We all give a friendly wave from a distance and look forward to normal service being resumed as soon as possible. Common sense prevailing for the most part all round.

Septimia Sat 04-Apr-20 16:53:23

You also need to remember when in country areas that it is lambing season.

Sheep will run from dogs even if not being chased. Pregnant ewes can abort as a result and often both lambs and ewe die. We had a ewe that ran off and left 2 new-born lambs when she was scared.

So... save lambs - keep your dog on a lead (except where there are obviously no livestock).

SueDonim Sat 04-Apr-20 16:56:15

I think all dogs need to be kept on a lead right now. People come before dogs. Yesterday someone came very close indeed to my DH and me in order to retrieve their off-the-lead dog who had rushed up to us. It was only being friendly and it’s not the dog’s fault but I was very angry that the owner had potentially put us at risk. angry She apologised but that doesn’t cut it in this situation.

I’ve had dogs in the past, as did some friends and there wasn’t this fetish to let dogs off the lead back then.

MrsEggy Sat 04-Apr-20 16:58:22

Children are born to run as well, but we are all having to curtail our activities at the moment.

ValerieF Sat 04-Apr-20 17:04:35

Well that is a given Septimia. Not just for the current situation. Whenever I've been to farming areas I have always kept my dog on a lead.

I was more talking about where dogs normally run free without problems, just chasing balls, but I am now thinking I am in an area where I have never come across problems of dogs approaching others? Not countryside but seaside with sand dunes and lots of space.

I know lots of people will welcome restrictions if their experiences are that their neighbours' dogs ruin their walks by attacking them. Never experienced that to be honest.

ValerieF Sat 04-Apr-20 17:06:19

Wow MrsEggy not in my neck of the woods so to speak! Children out with their family running about but distancing from others. They aren't on leads lol.

ValerieF Sat 04-Apr-20 17:11:14

SueDonim I agree if you have had bad experience but when you say there wasn't this fetish to let dogs off lead in past? When in past? I guess it depends where you live? My experience is that dogs were let out the doors to roam in past without owners. We had a field at the back where dogs congregated all shapes, sizes, mostly mongrels but I never remember anybody being attacked or bitten by any of them.

Anyway I am not advocating going back to that and guess am losing the argument for sense in the situation. Just my thoughts x

SueDonim Sat 04-Apr-20 17:20:17

Maybe it’s just that there seems to be so many dogs nowadays, Valerie but I simply don’t recall seeing dogs off the lead 30 years ago like I do nowadays. There are nine dogs in the twelve houses in my street. When we had dogs from the 80’s to the 2000’s we were very much in the minority, by owning a dog. It’s the other way now.

I like dogs, am certainly not a dog-hater, but off-lead dogs do scare me, especially big ones, because I’m scared of being knocked over.

Witzend Sat 04-Apr-20 17:21:33

They’ve just decreed this in Richmond Park.
Such a shame.
TBH the only - and very occasional - problem we’ve seen with dogs in R Park is the very rare one chasing the deer.
(Witness the little video on YouTube ‘Benson!!!’ - impossible not to laugh, I’m afraid.

ValerieF Sat 04-Apr-20 17:33:18

Witzend. Just watched! Went viral and was shown in America? Think he was called Fenton? OMG would be mortified if it was my dog! But I did laugh...

SirChenjin Sat 04-Apr-20 17:34:31

If you read Park Life by John Bartram who was Senior Wildlife Officer at Richmond park you’ll get his first hand accounts of the injuries dogs inflict on the deer in the park - not really funny at all sad

ValerieF Sat 04-Apr-20 17:41:48

Oh dear (no pun intended) SirChenjin No I don't know anything about Richmond Park. I love animals full stop. Only laughed at the one vid. Sorry.

Oldbat1 Sat 04-Apr-20 18:01:57

It was a dog called Fenton I think who chased the deer.

I have three dogs. One of whom is very nervous and normally I hire a secure field for exercise but can’t currently due to travel advice. I’ve been going to training class for nearly two years but he still can’t be trusted off lead. I do object when off lead dog owners shout “mine is friendly” as their dogs race over. There is a law which says unless your dog recalls immediately they should be kept on lead in public open space. Running up to people can be seen as out of control and you could be prosecuted. Certainly more people out and about currently having exercise and not all have dogs with them. It must be a concern if you aren’t dog lovers.

Calendargirl Sat 04-Apr-20 18:31:25

Keep ‘em on their leads, simple.

sodapop Sat 04-Apr-20 18:32:51

Again irresponsible owners spoil things for others. I do agree with Septimia this is not a good time to have your dog off lead in the country.

Chardy Sat 04-Apr-20 20:43:48

Calendar Girl - dogs can't run if they're on their leads

NanaandGrampy Sat 04-Apr-20 21:02:41

We walk our dog once a day, we do have a garden big enough for Sam to run but there are other ways to wear your dog out without needing a huge amount of space.

Working their brains can be as exhausting as a long run. In the short term at least in might help people who feel their dogs NEED to run .