Gransnet forums

Pets

And they say cats aren't sensitive

(62 Posts)
Jane10 Sat 02-May-20 20:10:06

An elderly nieghbour of ours is having a very sad, bad time right now. She's miserable and due to social distancing nobody can visit her or just give a hug. She sits out in our communal garden as she likes the change of scene and some sun in her face. We wave through the window or chat from a distance. However, yesterday a completely strange little tabby cat appeared from nowhere and promptly jumped up on the bench and climbed on to her knee. Apparently s/he sat there purring for ages. Our nieghbour is not a cat person but when we were talking today she was said how happy she'd felt that this funny wee thing thought she was so approachable. We'd love to see the wee cat but no luck. I hope s/he comes back for our neighbour's sake.

GagaJo Sat 02-May-20 20:17:39

My daughter was very ill all through her pregnancy. Our female cat was glued to her, wouldn't leave her side. Now things are back to normal, the cat is back to being Miss Independence.

SueDonim Sat 02-May-20 23:19:29

A friend’s elderly neighbour died recently after a spell in hospital (not CV). That same day, his cat came into my friend’s house and sat on their laps, for the first time ever.

Nortsat Sun 03-May-20 07:05:04

Our 15 year old cat is very sensitive to the symptoms of my disability. If she sees me in distress, she immediately comes to my side, as closely as she can. Then she purrs loudly and rubs her head on mine.

She only does this, if I am in distress. ? Otherwise, she just goes about her usual cat business...

QuaintIrene Sun 03-May-20 07:26:02

When I came home from the hospital after my husband died I was in a terrible state. I just sat down and they were on my knee and it’s hard to describe how kind and lovely they were. Purring and kissing all night as I cried on their heads. The thing is, they were David’s cats really and they were comforting me. Animals know.

Alima Sun 03-May-20 08:07:06

Thing is, the ones who say cats aren’t sensitive don’t know cats so how would they know?

Charleygirl5 Sun 03-May-20 08:15:50

When my last cat was put to sleep by the vet I drove to a friend's house, totally distraught. Her cats never gave me the time of day usually but each sat on either side of the armchair, allowing me to stroke them and they purred away.

The next time I visited, it was back to normal, they did not give me the time of day.

NannyJan53 Sun 03-May-20 08:27:52

My brother and his wife many years ago had a cat, who would not let anyone near him, let alone make a fuss and stroke him, just totally ignored anyone.

When my Niece was born (she is 28 now) we all came over to visit in the Hospital for my children to meet their new cousin. We stopped by at my Brothers so we could all go together. The cat was rubbing round our legs and letting us make a fuss. How did he know? The new baby wasn't even home yet!

Lilypops Sun 03-May-20 08:35:34

When I had my lovely tabby cat, he knew if I was feeling down or ill, he would jump up on my knee and pat my face with his paw as if he was wiping my tears away. He died very suddenly from a stroke 15 years ago and I still miss him ,

Jane10 Sun 03-May-20 09:39:18

I'm just hoping that mystery cat returns. It was lovely to see how it cheered our sad, lonely neighbour up.

Oldwoman70 Sun 03-May-20 10:22:52

We adopted a feral cat - he was half wild when we got him and was very independent. When I arrived home after surgery for cancer he would sit with me all day, something he had never done before.

Grandmabeach Sun 03-May-20 10:23:39

Our daughter had one cat who would never sit on her knee. She read somewhere that cats knew when someone was about to give birth. When she was pregnant the cat suddenly jumped on her knee one evening and would not stop purring. My daughter thought the cat had got that wrong as it was her first pregnancy and she still had two weeks to go. She gave birth next morning!

PamSJ1 Sun 03-May-20 10:23:42

Cats are sensitive to feelings. Ours stayed close at hand under the table the day my husband collapsed and died in our living room. She tried to comfort me after that, clearly missing him. When I was diagnosed and treated for breast cancer she wouldn't leave me alone. I don't know what I would have done without her.

gardeningpower Sun 03-May-20 10:30:13

when I am ill or just off colour a bit, my cat always sits with me, last year when I had shingles and felt rather poorly and in pain, one cat sat by me all day then the other one took over and stayed by my side all night, Cats definitely know when you need some comfort, as soon as I was well again they were back doing there own thing,

Esmerelda Sun 03-May-20 10:32:56

I do so agree with Alima and, as someone who has been owned by various cats for many years, I know how loving and comforting they can be. Maybe your elderly neighbour might look into adopting a moggie from Cats Protection once restrictions are lifted, Jane10. She can go for a senior cat ... I always do (nearly all mine have been rescues over 10 years old and have lived to be 18 or more).

Nannan2 Sun 03-May-20 10:34:28

Our beloved cat is 13 shortly.hes grown up with my 2 youngest sons,still at home.(21&17) when any of us are ill he comes& lies outside the bedroom door till we're better.(often even lies on bottom of youngests bed purring away till he starts feeling better- thats what the vibrations of the purring do- they 'heal' - its been proven apparently!smile?

Nannan2 Sun 03-May-20 10:37:49

When i was very ill over xmas& new year& spent a week in bed,the cat was laid outside my door,on the landing all week,only leaving for food& litter tray breaks.smile

Craftycat Sun 03-May-20 10:41:27

My next door neighbour is not a very nice person - never says anything NICE about anyone but plenty of derogatory comments -but she was widowed a couple of years ago so is living alone ( her son is round the corner).
She has various health issues & has been told she has to isolate for quite a time after this is all over.
We have 4 cats & they tend to give her a wide berth- she has never been nasty to them to be fair- but I think cats are clever & recognise a kind person .
Over these last few weeks of great weather I have heard her over the hedge talking to our cats who have taken to going over there when she is sitting in the garden & allowing her to fuss them. I think they know she is alone & are being kind to her.
I should say that we ARE looking out for her & shopping etc. if she needs it. Most of the neighbours give her a very wide berth as they have all had bad experiences with her.
Cats are very intuitive. I'm sure they are making life a bot easier for her,

LadyGracie Sun 03-May-20 10:44:29

Cats are very sensitive creatures, they sense your moods and how you're feeling. Following operations whilst in bed recovering my 2 cats were my constant companions.

Moggycuddler Sun 03-May-20 10:44:55

Cats are wonderful sensitive creatures. I have always had multiple cats and they have enriched my life to an enormous extent. Currently have 4 little darlings.

V3ra Sun 03-May-20 10:53:02

This is an interesting post for me as I've only ever lived with dogs.
My son lives alone with two cats.
Over the Easter weekend the younger one was very poorly and ended up in the vet hospital on a drip for a few days, came home but then had to be readmitted. This was the second episode of a urinary tract blockage and the cat's not a year old yet.
My son was distraught as they're his family. (It didn't help that the vet suggested euthanasia).
The older cat wouldn't leave my son alone at home, came and sat with him and was very affectionate. Quite unusual apparently!
My son thought it was because the cat was enjoying being the only one, but maybe there was more to it?
The younger cat has thankfully recovered and should be fine if he stays on a special food.

Kalu Sun 03-May-20 11:01:11

I had a bit of a downer recently and our cat who normally roams for hours stayed home at my side all day, jumping on my lap, front legs stretched towards my shoulders, staring into my eyes, loudly purring which I could feel in my chest as I stroked her. I have had these moments with our cats and dogs over the years. All of these moments happened exactly when I needed them, too conincidental for it to be otherwise.

The beautiful Maine Coon is less shy when visiting now Jane. A coupe of days ago, lying in the garden with ours, at a safe distance?. This morning was the best as she/he strolled into the kitchen for a visit??

TrendyNannie6 Sun 03-May-20 11:06:19

Animals can pick up on emotions

Kalu Sun 03-May-20 11:07:01

This is the two of them first becoming acquainted close up. Ours is the black and white left of the shrub.

Moth62 Sun 03-May-20 11:10:23

Dogs are also very sensitive. Over the years, whenever I’ve been having a sad moment, whichever collie we’ve had at the time would come and put its head gently on my knee and just look up at me as if yo say “Don't worry, I’m here for you.” Animals have a kind of sixth sense.