Gransnet forums

Pets

I have 2 kittens 3 months old from the same litter

(50 Posts)
ruff74 Sun 02-Aug-20 04:20:42

I need help about a month ago I got 2 kittens from the same litter. They are both females. I had to borrow a kennel from my grandma because there not listening and everything I read wasn't helping. Today after i had put one in the kennel I noticed that one was trying to sleep and the other one was chewing on her by her legs and this wasn't like a love bite you could hear her chewing. I checked her over there wasn't any blood but her skin was completely soaked in that area. Is this normal or should I be concerned?

absent Sun 02-Aug-20 06:18:50

How old are the kittens – maybe too young to be away from their mother?

absent Sun 02-Aug-20 06:26:28

I know you are concerned and want to resolve any problems but I would like to suggest that the next time you would like to have kittens you seek them from a charity, such as the RSPCA or Cats' Protection, rather than just buy them. The charity will neuter them and then you can give them a safe and loving home.

By the way, kittens benefit from little times of loving attention when they are stroked gently and you tell them how utterly beautiful and special they are in a quiet voice and they like to play games with ping pong balls and chasing something on a string, depending on how old they are.

Willow500 Sun 02-Aug-20 06:50:04

I'm not sure what you mean by they're not listening? When you say kennel do you mean a cage? Do you keep them in there all the time as that will cause distress and boredom as kittens need a lot of stimulation for short periods of time.

I think the chewing might actually be sucking on the other's leg for comfort - kittens suckle from their mothers for nourishment but also like a baby with a dummy when they're settling down to sleep and this sometimes goes on when they are older. The fact that the other one wasn't hurt would suggest that might be the case here. A cat we had would suck and kneed on his blanket for ages until he finally went to sleep.

Try watching Galaxy Jackson's My Cat from Hell or read his books on cat behaviour to get some tips on how to keep your kittens entertained. Kittens who are loved and treated well grow into wonderful cat companions - even siblings from the same litter.

PinkCakes Sun 02-Aug-20 09:14:38

You borrowed a kennel because the cats weren't listening??! Madness.

The kittens have probably been taken fro their mother too soon - the correct age is 12 weeks, not younger like dogs.

Young kittens will chew each other/you/toys and blankets because they should be suckling from their mother.

It sounds as though you got these without knowing enough about how to care for them properly. NO animal should be kept in a kennel/cage. Kittens, like human babies, thrive when they are fed the correct diet, talked to in a calm and soothing voice, have toys to stimulate their senses.

Read up (Google it) about keeping kittens.

jaylucy Sun 02-Aug-20 09:27:56

Kennel for kittens? Sorry, but cats are not like dogs that can be caged.
Multiple cats if they settle down together to sleep will act differently.
One is happy to dose off while the other is most likely grooming her, not chewing! That is quite normal and something their mother would have done.
I think that if you either try googling How to care for kittens or ask for advice from the Cats Protection - I think that they do have advice on their website.
Get rid of the kennel and either buy them a large cat bed, or use an old blanket or old towels for them to sleep on as well as a few toys for them to play with and they will be happy.

biba70 Sun 02-Aug-20 09:36:36

What type of kittens. Pure breeds or 'moggies'. Where did you get them from? A shop, a breeder, a neighbour...?Like others here, I am concerned by your post- kittens do not 'listen' and are totally unsuited to 'kennels/cages'.

Please explain what you mean by 'not listening' / to what?

As others say, probably were taken away from mother far too young. How old were they, and are they now?

But long term- 2 females from the same litter often don't get on as they become mature. We had this when we adopted 2 females froma a rescue. Fortunately we had a big house with a big garden and they lived to a good age- but they never go on.

MerylStreep Sun 02-Aug-20 09:41:34

Ruff74
Your obviously not a cat person. That kitten is suckling
Many yrs ago I rescued a 4 week old kitten. She suckled all her life, 18 yrs.
As for the kennel, words fail me. You'll also find that cats don't listen to a word that adults say, unless it involves food.

EllanVannin Sun 02-Aug-20 09:48:32

I despair sad

Elegran Sun 02-Aug-20 09:51:12

Did you expect the kittens to listen carefully to your instructions, know what on earth you were talking about and obediently do as they were told? How do you think they might have learnt to do that?

I assume you have never had a baby of your own to look after. If you had, you would know that a baby of ANY kind doesn't listen! Didn't your grandma tell you that?

These are not stuffed soft toys that you can play with when you feel like it, then put them back in the toybox and find them hours later still lying exactly where you put them.

They are living creatures, still very young and needing lots of cuddles and stroking to make up for being taken away from their mother. You are their mother now, and you will have to gently teach them all the things they need to know to live with you. You don't teach them just with words, and it doesn't happen overnight. Find out how to do it and then have the patience to keep at it .

Where did they come from? If it was just someone whose female cat had not been neutered and was allowed to produce kittens randomly without her owner knowing how to look after them, then they may not have had a very good start to their little lives.

You are responsible for them now. Time to learn how to do it properly, and be the best owner ever to the poor wee things. If you can't do that, take them NOW to a cat rescue home and let someone else adopt them and do it.

LadyGracie Sun 02-Aug-20 09:55:19

They need to be running around a safe room playing, having somewhere comfortable to snuggle up together when tired.

They need plenty of human contact and 24 hour access to fresh water and a litter tray.

Callistemon Sun 02-Aug-20 10:01:28

Having their own nice bed each would be a good idea although they might like to share one bed for comfort.
Kennel confused

PinkCakes dog cages seem very popular and, used as a refuge for the dog rather than somewhere to be locked in, can be a good idea. I admit I was surprised when I first encountered them at someone's house, but the dog went into his cage when the visiting children got a bit boisterous.
I can't imagine any cat wanting one though.

You're obviously not a cat person, OP.
It's a good idea to thoroughly investigate how to care for any animal before getting one.
Cats (and dogs) are not just for lockdown, they are for life.

Callistemon Sun 02-Aug-20 10:03:28

Your Grandma should have told you that cats never listen, ruff.
In fact, they always know best.

How old are you btw?

Sparklefizz Sun 02-Aug-20 10:06:49

As a great cat-lover I am finding this upsetting to read, and don't see how these innocent little kittens are going to have a good life with the OP.

In my view you should rehome them ruff74 to a home where they can have proper love and attention that they deserve and not be stuffed into a kennel. sad

GirlyGran Sun 02-Aug-20 10:17:16

I have had cats all my life. FORGET THE KENNEL. A cardborrd box with a comfy blanket will do. They need you to talk to them soothe and pet them. They also require a bit of fun play. A little ball to chase some feathers tied onto the end of a string which you dangle in front of them you really don't need to spend a lot but must invest your time in these little kittens. Also like others say the kittens are suckling so don't worry. Step up and be responsible they are baby animals.

TrendyNannie6 Sun 02-Aug-20 10:31:35

I’m very concerned by your post, you obviously know zilch about cats, what do you mean the kittens are not listening! And you borrowed a kennel! I doubt very much the kitten was chewing on the other one, suckling more like, How old are they! Sounds like they should still be with their mother, I’ve had cats for over 60 years, and finding your post upsetting, why didn’t you read up properly on how to take care of kittens before you got them, sounds like they have been sold on or given away far too young,

paddyanne Sun 02-Aug-20 10:58:50

I got two girls from the same litter ,they slept together for a few months then preferred seperate beds,they get along fine.They need a lot of fun and playing with even now that they're nearly two.Isn't that the whole point of kittens? They bring a lot of fun and are great entertainment.Cats dont "listen" they are the boss.Give them lots of love and freedom and you'll get years of pleasure from their company.Meantime get advice on the care they need .

grandtanteJE65 Sun 02-Aug-20 11:05:25

If the kitten was chewing on the other's leg, you would see bite marks, and the chewed kitten would be very unlikely to put up with being bitten!

If you don't have the time to play with them, don't keep them, but find a new home for them.

PinkCakes Sun 02-Aug-20 12:28:37

Callistemon I really don't like dog cages - I know you say that they are to give a dog a place of refuge, but some ignorant owners use a cage to keep a dog in so that it won't climb onto the settee/make a mess anywhere/chew the furniture etc. I used to occasionally help my friend with her dog-walking and pet-sitting business, and the number of dogs that were kept in a cage whilst the owner was out at work all day used to upset me so much.

The OP sounds young/inexperienced/thick (delete where appropriate)

BlueBelle Sun 02-Aug-20 12:40:37

Oh dear please find a proper home for these babies you can’t keep kittens in a kennel they shouldn’t be away from their mum if they are trying to suckle still
Are you a child/ young person? I think you need to come back to tell more about this situation unless you are just trying to get us all worked up
This is no way to treat young kittens you don’t sound as if you’ve got a clue, unless of course you’re just trying to get an oh my word reaction from this group to sparkle up your day

Bathsheba Sun 02-Aug-20 12:49:11

Are you an adult? Have you ever been responsible for another living being before? Because it sounds to me as though you don’t have the faintest idea how to go about it. Please find a safe and loving home for these poor little kittens. Soon! sad

MerylStreep Sun 02-Aug-20 12:53:02

I now think this is another of those lets wind up the oldies threads.

Bathsheba Sun 02-Aug-20 13:41:10

You beat me to it MerylStreep - I was just about to suggest the poster gets back to their XBox ?.

Callistemon Sun 02-Aug-20 15:15:33

MerylStreep

I now think this is another of those lets wind up the oldies threads.

Oh yes, but I thought I'd play along with it grin

Callistemon Sun 02-Aug-20 15:16:34

Bathsheba

You beat me to it MerylStreep - I was just about to suggest the poster gets back to their XBox ?.

Put him back in the cats' kennel.

Or the dog house.