Gransnet forums

Pets

Cat been swimming. Cover your water butts, please!

(29 Posts)
grandtanteJE65 Tue 01-Sep-20 13:47:22

I honestly don't know where the cat was swimming, but he had obviously fallen into something that wasn't all that easy to get out of.

He didn't come in for breakfast at seven and turned up soaking wet at midday.

He's fine, but was tired for two days.

But please, if you have water butts or garden ponds, do please check that the butts are covered and that ponds have a plank that cats, dogs, foxes, etc, can walk up.

CHILDREN can drown in the same amount of water as an animal.

Spice101 Tue 01-Sep-20 13:56:51

Glad your cat is OK grandtante.

An opinion that I'm sure will incur the wrath of some, but I really do believe cats like any other animal should be confined to their own property. I cannot understand why people allow their cats to roam at their will and often to their detriment. Surely if you have a loved pet you want to keep it safe.

Ellianne Tue 01-Sep-20 13:59:46

Our cat fell in our swimming pool a few times. He used to love drinking the chlorine.

Charleygirl5 Tue 01-Sep-20 14:09:01

Spice101 how may I ask do I do that? My cat who is 16 years olf age can jump over a 6 foot fence. She thinks and acts like a 4 year old. Do I tie her to a chair?

J52 Tue 01-Sep-20 14:44:12

Cats will be cats and are inquisitive by nature. Glad there were no lasting effects.

A neighbour’s beautiful, exotic cat spent yesterday afternoon asleep on a chair in our sunroom. Something he’d never done before, it was lovely to have such a polite visitor.

MayBee70 Tue 01-Sep-20 15:23:50

Whenever we go away we fill plastic dustbins full of water so someone can use it to water the pots, but I make a point of having tops to them. Not water but even worse: many years ago a neighbours cat died when it fell into a tub of something awful (I think it was creosote) and that always stuck in my mind.

Sparklefizz Tue 01-Sep-20 17:07:24

Some breeds of cats positively like water. The Turkish Van pedigree cats will swim in the sea off Turkey. I had a beautiful cat who was half Turkish Van and she liked nothing better than sitting in a puddle.

Callistemon Tue 01-Sep-20 17:24:10

I UK law, animals, including dogs, must be kept under control. The exception is cats which have the right to roam.

Unfortunately imo.

MellowYellow Tue 01-Sep-20 18:16:26

Years ago our beautiful Burmese cat returned home saturated in what smelt like car engine oil. He had obviously fallen into a vat of it. He was depressed for ages afterwards! (We lived in the middle of nowhere so it was very strange.)

PinkCakes Tue 01-Sep-20 21:13:43

Oh, the poor thing. I hope he's ok now.

A neighbour of mine left the grandchildren's paddling pool out (full) and a squirrel drowned in it.

PinkCakes Tue 01-Sep-20 21:16:03

Spice101 I disagree. I believe that all animals should be free to feel fresh air, and to live in an environment suited to their needs - birds in the sky/trees, cattle in fields, etc.

biba70 Tue 01-Sep-20 21:23:19

my friend got 2 kittens 2 years ago, and one of them went missing (about 1 year old) - they share a garden with the owner of the house and ... I'll spare you the details. The pool now has a cover.

Starblaze Tue 01-Sep-20 21:26:23

If it makes anyone feel better, my cats only poo on my lawn, which is unfair as so does everyone else's...

One did come back with a raw sausage once which probably ruined someone's dinner.

People feeding other peoples cats annoys me because I have a cat with allergies and it costs me a fortune but he gets depressed if he isn't allowed out and over grooms.

One of my adopted kittens loves water and I have already rescued her from the bath and the toilet and I have to check the washing machine very thoroughly as she is fascinated by it. She likes to sleep on wet towels too. I didn't even think about that as a danger but I'm hoping they will stay as housecats really..

DillytheGardener Tue 01-Sep-20 21:27:39

I’m less in favour of cats running wild, given they kill wild birds. My dogs are kept in my yard and on leash until we get to an open part of the park where they are within eyesight. My neighbours cats I’m constantly having to shoo out of my garden as they leave revolting deposits behind.

Spice101 Wed 02-Sep-20 00:29:10

PinkCakes

Spice101 I disagree. I believe that all animals should be free to feel fresh air, and to live in an environment suited to their needs - birds in the sky/trees, cattle in fields, etc.

Pinkcakes keeping an animal on one's own property does not necessarily prevent it from fresh air.
If we used your belief with regard to dogs we would have them roaming around and wandering onto properties at their leisure. Imagine the outrage.

There are very elaborate or very simple enclosures you can buy or build that will contain cats and these can be connected to your house so the cat can come and go at will but is still contained on your property. Cat is safe, native animals and birds are safe and neighbours are not bothered by cat fouling their gardens. And Charleygirl these would mean you don't need to tie your cat to a chair.

MellowYellow Wed 02-Sep-20 07:24:37

'Oh, the poor thing. I hope he's ok now.'
Thank you PinkCakes, he got over it but is now in pussycat Heaven having lived to a ripe old age once he got his dignity back. If you have a Burmese you'll know what I mean. grin

Summerlove Wed 02-Sep-20 12:02:30

If I have a water feature in my fenced in yard, is the suggestion then that if a cat (who should not be in my yard) drowns, it’s my fault for not ensuring cats/wildlife have a plank to walk out on?

That seems a little extreme to me.

If you choose to let your cat wander freely, surely you’re taking a risk that it won’t come home?

Callistemon Wed 02-Sep-20 13:07:03

I'd put one in for hedgehogs, Summerlove as they can drown in garden ponds.

But I take your point about cats.
They can use the plank, though, but I would hope they get a soaking and don't come back for more.

It's really annoying to prepare a garden bed, go to plant something and sink your hands into buried cat faeces.

Squiffy Wed 02-Sep-20 13:09:52

If I have a water feature in my fenced in yard, is the suggestion then that if a cat (who should not be in my yard) drowns, it’s my fault for not ensuring cats/wildlife have a plank to walk out on?

There should always be a means for any animal to get out of a 'water feature'. Even frogs can drown, as a local primary school discovered when the escape log was removed by someone who thought they were being helpful!

biba70 Wed 02-Sep-20 13:11:32

How very unpleasant Summerlove sad - so what about the wildlife? Perhaps I should post the photo of my friends drowned kitten and the photo of their young daughter when she found out.

TwiceAsNice Wed 02-Sep-20 14:55:25

I live in a flat and my cat is a house cat in the winter and doesn’t seem to mind. At the moment she is fast asleep on a blanket on the balcony chair and loves the fresh air in spring and summer. She has a litter tray and bothers nobody. I have opened the door for a bit in winter but she wanders out, shivers and wanders in again!

My daughters two cats go outside but are completely different. One stays close to home, the other goes walk about all over the place. They both come running when they hear their food bowl.

Summerlove Wed 02-Sep-20 14:58:07

It’s not meant to be unpleasant, more than someone choosing to let pets roam should take accountability for that.

Of course I feel for wild life, I do not in fact have a water feature.

Just that it’s not someone else’s responsibility to care for someone’s roaming pet.

If I had a cat (I’m allergic) it’s my responsibility to keep it safe. Same as a dog. It’s not my neighbours job.

Squiffy Wed 02-Sep-20 15:08:20

it’s my fault for not ensuring cats/wildlife have a plank to walk out on?

Your words Summerlove!! You mentioned wildlife.

Starblaze Wed 02-Sep-20 15:12:38

Summerlove, honestly I wouldn't think to do a lot of things that don't pose risk to myself but, I wouldn't mind doing it for anyone who pointed it out and asked me nicely. Like when someone knocks and asks me to check my shed for missing kitties.

I remember when I found out slug pellets are dangerous and kill birds and animals.. It just never occurred to me because why would people sell nature murder pellets to keep slugs off my begonias (I don't even know what a begonia is I just needed a quick flower name).

Saying that, there is a slug lover out there who thinks I'm evil for that too so....

I've forgotten what my point was now

GagaJo Wed 02-Sep-20 15:19:37

My cats are house cats but this summer have decided they will both make concerted bids for freedom. The female has jumped out of an upstairs window and the male has taken to sidling between legs at open doors and getting the toddler to let him out.

We can do our best to keep them in but accidents happen.