Gransnet forums

Pets

I had a friend with a Jewish Jack Russell ?

(75 Posts)
phoenix Thu 15-Oct-20 18:15:05

Evening all, and good wishes.

Of course, I can't be sure that the dog was actually Jewish, but he did refuse any pork products, including sausages and bacon!

I have also had a cat with a cheese additicion, Mr P and I had to refer to it as "solid dairy product" because if we said the word "cheese" even in conversation, Maurice would then stand in front of the fridge and do his hard stare until he was given some! He'd have your fingers for a bit of Stilton, which was a particular favourite.

Any other weird let likes/dislikes?

GrannyGravy13 Thu 15-Oct-20 20:31:42

Our last cat would jump in the bath with dear daughter and try and eat the bubbles.

If DH had a bad day at work (i.e. I had annoyed him) he would have a brandy and coke, the same cat would wait for him to put it on the coffee table and immediately stand on back legs so he could lap the drink!!

(We have had weird pets)

grannysyb Thu 15-Oct-20 20:35:52

I had a little cat once who loved peas. DDs dog adores carrots,you can't call them that, they are " orange sticks", he sits staring at the fridge until he gets one!

lemongrove Thu 15-Oct-20 20:42:08

I think most cats enjoy a bit of cheese, we had two cats who enjoyed warm cake, straight from the oven ( probably had a buttery taste) and all our cats enjoyed a raw egg if dropped on the floor?
Labradors eat anything at all... even unmentionable things.

phoenix Thu 15-Oct-20 20:47:06

Maurice (cat) once are the left over bits ( just sort of crumbs, really) from a joint of beef, including the string shock

I thought that when it "emerged" I might have a cat yoyo!

Spangler Thu 15-Oct-20 20:49:35

Urmstongran Thu 15-Oct-20 18:31:14
One evening one of the dogs picked up a cigarette butt and trotted into the house with it dangling from her lips. We all burst out laughing as she looked so funny! Made me think of that comedian (can’t remember his name, can anyone help?) who always had an unlit fag between his lips.
Freddie Frinton.
I thought that a Jewish Jack Russell had been to the docking station where he had changed sides. Previously a Cavalier, now a Roundhead.

Davidhs Thu 15-Oct-20 20:57:56

Any dog that refuses sausages is over fed.
My terrier will eat anything except lettuce

Georgesgran Thu 15-Oct-20 21:03:26

I think your comedian could be Little Bobby Thompson with the unlit Woodbine?
We had a huge Maine Coon cat who adored Kit-Kats. As soon as you ran a fingernail between the bars, he heard the silver paper break and appeared out of nowhere.

Spangler Thu 15-Oct-20 21:03:29

Davidhs Thu 15-Oct-20 20:57:56
Any dog that refuses sausages is over fed.
Even a hotdog? I jest. Our old cocker spaniel had a salt intolerance, she wouldn't touch sausages, or any processed food such as bacon.

Katek Thu 15-Oct-20 21:07:12

One of my cats would kill for either ginger yoghurt or salted caramel ice cream! Very odd moggy........confused

NfkDumpling Thu 15-Oct-20 22:41:47

My DD1's spaniel loved lettuce and we had a cat which would do anything for cheese and onion crisps and liked to smell my whisky which I drank neat in those days. Given half a chance he would stick his head in the glass and not come out. I did wonder if a cat could get drunk on fumes. We did have a pony who got drunk on windfall apples someone threw into his paddock. He wouldn't eat an apple after that which was lucky as I didn't want another vet's bill.

HAZBEEN Fri 16-Oct-20 12:16:51

My DDs cat loves garlic sauce like you get with pizza takeaway!
I had one cat who loved pineapple yoghurt, he wouldnt have any other flavour!

Witzend Fri 16-Oct-20 12:21:28

Our last dog (RIP) adored raw carrot, and the hard stalks of e.g. white cabbage or cauliflower.
She would never eat dog biscuits. I soon stopped buying the likes of Bonios - she’d just bury them in the garden, or (once) in a dd’s bed!
I dare say that’s one reason why her teeth were still in very good shape when she died at 14 1/2.

sodapop Fri 16-Oct-20 12:32:56

Raw carrots are good for dogs if you can get your dog to eat them. Ours will eat cow poo, horse poo but not carrots !!!

We have a hazel tree in the garden Kalu and all our dogs shell and eat the nuts.

MamaCaz Fri 16-Oct-20 12:58:49

OH had a dog that would try to eat food on television - there was an advert for peas where it would actually try to pick the peas from the screen with its teeth!
Sounds unbelievable, I know, but it's absolutely true - I once saw it with my own eyes.

Purplepixie Fri 16-Oct-20 13:01:32

My cat, which sadly died last year, used to love tomato soup, curry sauce and gravy. She hated fish, pork and ham. Her favourite tinned meat was tuna or beef and loved Dreamies. I miss her so much.

MiniMoon Fri 16-Oct-20 13:35:46

Our last dog, a Parson Russell terrier loved yogurt, any variety. She would stand and wait until you finished the pot and then lick it clean. She was in seventh heaven if you left her some in the bottom.

MiniMoon Fri 16-Oct-20 13:40:03

Just to add. We had a toy poodle when the children were small. He wouldn't eat any sort of dog food either wet or dried.
He enjoyed Whiskas cat food with Pedigree small bite mixer. He liked peas and cheese too.
Funny little dog.

phoenix Fri 16-Oct-20 13:44:10

Puplepixie they do leave a huge gap, don't they? Are you ever tempted to get another?

sparklingsilver28 Fri 16-Oct-20 13:45:51

My next-door neighbour had a cat and a golden labrador. On a sunny afternoon, so funny to see labrador on her back snoozing in the sun while the cat busy grooming her.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 17-Oct-20 11:16:05

Well, I once had a cat who refused to eat shrimps or other fish that weren't kosher and who kept the Sabbath sleeping on my bed.

She was otherwise a very active cat.

I also had a cat who refused to eat beef.

I hope no-one is offended, I have nothing but respect for all faiths.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 17-Oct-20 11:20:38

I think cats probably can get high on fumes. I had a rescue cat who sniffed glue until we got wise to it and kept her away from anything we were glueing.

She also sniffed our adult son's tea-shirts if he had been visiting friends who smoked pot.

And we caught her and her brother trying to get to the dregs of a beer.

Puzzler61 Sat 17-Oct-20 11:21:02

Our cat likes ice cream and DH puts a bit on the end of one finger and she licks it off. ? ?

Bathsheba Sat 17-Oct-20 11:29:29

We had a border collie who loved orange peel. So when any of us wanted an orange we just dropped the peel onto the floor as we peeled it. He would sit there drooling for the next piece to fall grin. He also loved a bit of celery, but he never actually ate it - he just liked the crunchy sound/sensation of chewing it up, and would then spit it out and wait eagerly for another piece grin

Alishka Wed 04-Nov-20 19:21:40

Oh grandtanteJE65 I love the sound of your glue and pot sniffing,beer swigging moggiegrin
And all the foibles of all the other pets, too. Making me broody..

FannyCornforth Wed 04-Nov-20 19:43:22

I've seen this thread bobbing about for a while.
I honestly thought that it was about canine circumsition blush