Gransnet forums

Pets

Intelligent pets

(80 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sat 24-Oct-20 09:38:20

Just sat slobbing in front of the tv as wet and very windy. Watching about pets intelligence.

My question: what is the most intelligent thing your pet has ever done?

My answer: DH and dog got separated on walk. Duncan the Cairn found someone he had previously met and kept on and on nudging the chaps legs. Eventually the chap cottoned on and off they went together to find DH which they eventually did. Meanwhile the chap had phoned for an ambulance as he knew of DHs heart problem But that is another story??. Just to say a lesson was learned!

Mildmanneredgran Sat 24-Oct-20 16:50:57

My Siamese cats learned how to open the undercounter fridge door by hooking their claws and paws under the door and got out the chicken carcass one day whilst I was at work. What a mess. Then they forgot themselves, and tried to open it whilst I was standing in front of it. They banged it against my legs, and then glared at me because I was in the way.

Gagagran Sat 24-Oct-20 16:50:58

walls of the houses gardens

B9exchange Sat 24-Oct-20 17:05:37

Our current two Siamese sleep in the utility room, and if they think we haven't got up soon enough, they worked out how to open the cupboard over the sink and would bat everything out onto the floor knowing the banging and smashing would get us up. We had to tie the cupboard handles together, so they then managed to turn on the taps by squeezing behind them, and threatening to flood the place!

Lexisgranny Sat 24-Oct-20 17:07:35

Years ago when my children were young they used to go to my parents house after school until I finished work. My parents were avid watchers of Countdown, the dog used to snooze through it, but as soon as it ended he would be waiting for them with his paws on the windowsill.

SueDonim Sat 24-Oct-20 17:56:40

These are lovely and funny stories! smile

Our two Russian Blue rescue cats are both as thick as bricks. grin RB’s are supposed to be a ‘natural’ breed of cat, in that they exist in nature, they haven’t been bred that way. I cannot possibly imagine how our two could have survived on the Russian Steppes, as they are completely helpless. Otoh, they have Dh trained to cater to their every whim, so maybe they’re not as dumb as they seem.

My mum tells the story of the dog her family had when she was young. He used to get on the bus with her father to go to work, then get off when he did. He would say goodbye to the dog, the dog would go to a nearby butcher and get a titbit of some sort then catch the next bus home and be back before my mum went to school!

Dinahmo Sat 24-Oct-20 18:02:34

I had a tortoiseshell cat called Dinah. She was the runt of the litter I think and was rather small. She occasionally got cystitis and used to let me know by jumping into the bath and peeing down the plug hole so that I would see the blood. That's what i call clever.

kircubbin2000 Sat 24-Oct-20 18:04:02

My grandad used go breed greyhounds for racing. His favourite, Maisie, would go down and get on the bus that took them to the track. Luckily the driver knew her.

Septimia Sat 24-Oct-20 19:27:18

We lived in a quiet residential area. If we went out on foot through the area, the cat would follow us - it was disconcerting the first few times. Eventually we'd look round and he would have disappeared. However, on our way home we would find him waiting just at the point where we'd lost him and he'd follow us the rest of the way home.

Fennel Sat 24-Oct-20 22:10:41

My old auntie lived in the Kielder forest and had a black labrador. Can't remember his name. ?Rex?
One day she told him she was going to get the bus to visit her friend, a few miles away.
When she got off the bus, there was Rex grin
Maybe apocryphal.
Our border collie used to talk to me - like Sadie -
www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6TUSfU7nlc&pbjreload=101

Scentia Sat 24-Oct-20 22:21:50

When I was a little girl our Heinz 57 dog used to walk down to the newsagent every morning, collect the paper and bring it home.

PageTurner Sat 24-Oct-20 23:18:23

About 20 years ago we had a male cat named Rusty.
For the longest time we couldn't figure out why we never had notification that we had a new message on the telephone. The phone had a built in answering feature to leave a message. When there was an unheard message the button would be flashing red.
One day I was home but outside and when I came in I saw Rusty pushing the flashing red light to listen to the message.

CanadianGran Sun 25-Oct-20 06:21:36

Our little australian shepherd Jersey knows the sounds of our visitors vehicles, especially our youngest son's. For a few years he had both an old jeep and a motorcycle. Whenever I was walking her and an older model jeep or that brand of motorcycle drove by, her ears went up and she got excited.

She goes mad barking at the vacuum cleaner, and knows our morning routine, waiting eagerly at the broom closet for it to come out of it's lair so she can destroy it.

We had a cat who would climb the fence and meow just below my son's bedroom window, and he swears she was calling his name.

Hildagard Sun 25-Oct-20 09:29:31

That could only be done by aJR

Hildagard Sun 25-Oct-20 09:30:06

My message should have been addressed to Hetty

TrendyNannie6 Sun 25-Oct-20 09:32:53

Our dog is very intelligent being a security dog trained to find people and keep his master safe

Iam64 Sun 25-Oct-20 09:35:32

I've never had a clever cat, only independent minded types.

My dogs have all been great members of the family. Willing to learn to do some things to please me. They all know exactly where we are on regular car journeys. Our lovely old rescue would sleep for the 200 mile journey to Nannie's house then wakeup and sit up as soon as we turned the roundabout before the left turn to her house

This is a lovely thread, a real reflection of the joy the animals we share our lives with bring.

whatkatydid Sun 25-Oct-20 09:40:39

Lovely stories! I have a rescue dog from Greece who is as smart as paint, but the loveliest thing he’s done is taught himself to smile when one of the family comes home. I guess he’s learned to copy us when we’re pleased to see each other, as he never does it any other time, but only when one of us comes through the door and he rushes to welcome them. It’s very sweet.

Moggycuddler Sun 25-Oct-20 09:52:35

One of my cats tries to answer the phone.

inishowen Sun 25-Oct-20 09:52:42

Our neighbour took her dog to the park and lost him. After searching for ages she went back to her car. To her surprise he was waiting there!

Bluecat Sun 25-Oct-20 09:53:08

I don't think that I have ever had an intelligent pet. They have all been lovable nitwits.

Annaram1 Sun 25-Oct-20 09:56:46

My husband and I always walked our two dogs up the lane to a field where we walked around and let the dogs play together. One morning I decided to wash my hair instead of going on the walk. My husband went off with the dogs while I washed my hair. A few minutes later I was towelling my hair and I heard barking outside. I opened the window to see my younger dog looking up and me and barking as if to say "Come out! You are missing a lovely walk!"

25Avalon Sun 25-Oct-20 09:57:26

We had a border collie that was uncannily clever. We always kept the car keys in a certain place. If the dog was shut up in another room, no matter how quiet you were, she always knew if you picked up those keys but only barked if you were actually going out. We tested it many times even to putting a coat on, but she never got it wrong.

baubles Sun 25-Oct-20 09:57:36

I had a cat who regularly knocked an egg off the holder then patted it along the worktop till it fell off and smashed on the floor giving him a tasty treat.
The same cat guddled fish out of a neighbour’s pond on more than one occasion, strangely enough he never seemed to hunt for mice.

nannypiano Sun 25-Oct-20 10:01:46

My late brother and his wife took their golden spaniel on holiday with them. They were in a camper with a tent top. After making it secure, or so they thought, they nipped to the local shop to get some milk. When they returned the little dog was sitting at the gate to the site, waiting for them to come back for her.

Annaram1 Sun 25-Oct-20 10:16:03

I forgot to mention that my border collie ignored most TV programs but loved "One man and his dog," the program about sheep herding by collies. She used to watch it intently. Once when the sheep ran to the left of the screen and disappeared she ran to the side of the TV and looked to see if they were coming out... maybe that wasn't so intelligent after all.