Gransnet forums

Pets

My dog's health is declining. I need to make a decision.

(26 Posts)
Glinda Mon 26-Oct-20 05:03:13

I have an almost 10yr old female border collie who was diagnosed diabetic around 3 months ago. She seemed to be coping well until around 3wks ago when she became very slow and our walks had to become shorter. Her insulin was increased but now she can barely manage getting around the house.
Her legs have gone from under her on several occasions too. She is still eating but I can't feed her between injections so must be weak.
I hate seeing her like this. At the moment she is asleep at the side of my bed after struggling upstairs last night and sleeping on the landing.
I am going to ring the vet this morning and explain that her quality of life has gone. She seems to perk up on the rare occasion but is no longer the dog she was.
I have told myself that it would be cruel to hold on to her just because she has been by my side for 10yrs through thick and thin, including my son's death 4yrs ago.
I have a cat and a 15yr old son at home so I have company and I know deep down she is only going to worsen but why do I feel so guilty if she is to be put to sleep?

rosie1959 Mon 26-Oct-20 05:45:45

I do feel for you I would go back to your vet to get their advice perhaps something else is going on
I used to mind my DD and son in laws Border collie and I fell in love with him he did go off his legs in his final days and we sadly had to let him go he was 18 years

Spice101 Mon 26-Oct-20 06:13:32

Such a hard decision to make but personally I would rather make the decision to let my pet go a day too soon than an hour too late. It is IMO the utmost sacrifice to let them go.
Life should be about quality not quantity.

TrendyNannie6 Mon 26-Oct-20 06:28:28

My heart breaks for her and of course you too, I think there is always going to be a what if situation, but the facts are there to see, and it doesn’t look good, I’ve been in your position many many times and when I see any of my pets struggling and have limited quality of life, I take the kindest decision and let them go, thinking of you both

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 26-Oct-20 06:37:38

I’ve had to make ‘That’ decision with pet cats in the past. A dreadful decision, but I think you just know.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 26-Oct-20 06:44:48

It is the worst of times. Everyone who has made the decision to euthanise their pet will totally empathise with you.

Humbertbear Mon 26-Oct-20 07:35:39

You are faced with making a very sad decision but my sister put off making the same decision till it was much too late. Her dog wasn’t in pain but i know that if I had been in his condition I would have begged to be put to sleep. You will ne sad and you will mourn him. He is a part of your family. On the brighter side, my sister is now besotted with the new puppy she got from Battersea.

PurpleStar Mon 26-Oct-20 08:45:03

I can really empathise with you Glinda.My daughter left home leaving her beloved dog with me.She had gone blind and suddenly lost alot of weight.Turns out she had diabetes.I had to inject her twice a day and blood tests every 10 days.She then developed glaucoma and had to have an eye removed.It felt barbaric at the time but she was always such a waggy tailed happy dog and she managed to get about really well.Our vet is wonderful.and tells it like it is.She was 11 and I managed her conditions well for 18 months(I must add that my daughter contributed hugely to the vet fees,she just couldnt have a pet in her accommodation at the time) I guess my point being that you know when the dog is happy and not suffering,there comes a point where they are not happy and not eating regularly,which affects the insulin and the cycle goes on.Our beloved one lost her appetite,lost her waggy tail and then developed a sudden sore on her side that grew huge within hours(some sort of abcess) I knew it was time to let her go.I pre arranged everything with the vet via email as I was a blubbering mess.I also decided to cook 3 big fat sausages(something she had bot been allowed) and while we were in the vets room I offered them to her,one last yummy meal,she was delighted with them.Luckily they did not make her sick(a risk worth taking I felt) and she slipped away peacefully.It is such a horrible choice to make but you know when that time has come.I have another little poorly dog and fear I will have to make that choice again soon.Trust your instincts as they are usually right.Sending you strength and courage to do what you feel is kindest for the beloved dog...they are such wonderful companions and break our hearts when they have to leave us flowers

sodapop Mon 26-Oct-20 08:47:47

That is such a hard decision Glinda I would go back to your vet and see if there is any further treatment which would help. If not then it would seem your lovely dog needs you to do this one last thing for her.
We are in a similar position with a 14 year old dog, he is currently having palliative care but still goes for a short walk and enjoys cuddles and treats.

"Remember, between hello and goodbye there was love, so much love" that quote helps me so hope its meaningful for you.

PurpleStar Mon 26-Oct-20 08:49:48

I'm sorry I hadn't read your full post,I got interrupted.Im so sorry you lost your son,I cannot imagine how you feel,losing the dog I guess will bring up alot of extra sadness.My sister lost her dog soon after our father died but we did take comfort and hoped maybe they were somehow together,that made us smile through the tears.Wishing you all the best to get through this x

grandtanteJE65 Mon 26-Oct-20 11:19:54

Poor you, I know, as do all pet lovers, exactly what you are feeling.

I think we feel guilty when we make the decision to have a beloved pet put to sleep, because we feel we made the decision, rather than the pet being ready to go.

From your description, your dog is ready. You said she struggled upstairs to be near you during the night. My last cat but one struggled to come to me the night that made me realise it was time for that dreaded trip to the vet.

My aunt said once, that it is the last thing we can do for a loved pet and our duty to them.

(I'm crying for you, as I write, hope it helps you to be brave).

Hetty58 Mon 26-Oct-20 11:37:47

Glinda, you are doing the right thing, the last act of kindness to your lovely pet. So many people put off the decision, act too late - and prolong the suffering unnecessarily.

We always feel so sad and guilty about it, but relieved when it's all over for them. Sending hugs and best wishes. XX

Jane10 Mon 26-Oct-20 12:29:54

So sorry to hear this. The others are so right though. This would be a kindness. The poor old thing. Border Collies are the best . Such good dogs. You owe her this last kindness.
Be brave. We'll all be thinking of you.

B9exchange Mon 26-Oct-20 12:41:02

You instinctively know when it is time, such a dreadful decision, but the right one for her.

My father's last link with my mother was the dog she worshipped, even in the last stages of dementia. The dog fell into a deep pond several years later and was unable to get out, and drowned in front of him (he was well into his 80's and couldn't swim, no-one around, so nothing he could do; it sounded as though the dog had a heart attack in the cold water). It breaks my heart to think of his distress, even 20 years later.

Be reassured that you are doing the kindest thing, but it is desperately sad to lose one of your last links with your son. I am sure we are all rooting for you. flowers

Iam64 Mon 26-Oct-20 12:59:38

Glinda, I'm with those who say better a day too soon than a day too late. We had to make that last loving decision for our 12 year old doodle dog earlier this year. Buckets were wept. She'd been unwell for a week, but seemed to be improving. Then over Sunday evening, it became obvious we were in the end of life stage. Covid means only one person is allowed into the surgery for end of life care. Our vet did everything outside the surgery, our girl couldn't move by then, she was in the boot of my car, a safe familiar and comfortable place. The vet and nurse spent 40mins with us and she was helped to leave this world peacefully, with both of us with her.
rip beautiful girl
I hope you can manage this next phase with a compassionate vet. Sending love it's such a hard place to be x

Jane10 Mon 26-Oct-20 13:16:55

B9exchange- how unbearably sad. You poor old Dad and the poor dog too. thanks

PinkCakes Mon 26-Oct-20 14:43:29

It sounds as though she's coming to the end of her life. It's sad to have to say goodbye to a pet you've loved for years, but what matters is what is fair to that animal. If she struggles to get upstairs, can't walk far, has got Diabetes and has to have daily injections, it's not a happy, comfortable life she's got, is it?

All the best x

westendgirl Mon 26-Oct-20 14:53:45

Such a hard decision, but you will know that you made it with love.

Best wishes.

biba70 Mon 26-Oct-20 15:01:54

It is always so hard- but you will know when the time has come- listen to her with your <3.

Not sure about where you are- but would you be able to afford for the vet to come to you? This is what we have always done with all our cats and dogs- allow them to go to sleep in our arms, at home, without all the stree of going to the vet. Glad your son is there for you. x

Smileless2012 Mon 26-Oct-20 15:09:02

It's an awful decision to have to make Glinda as all pet lovers know and when you make it, you'll be making it for her and it will be the right thing to do. flowers

sharon103 Mon 26-Oct-20 15:30:28

I agree with you to a point biba70. I had to have one of our precious cats put to sleep 3 years ago.
Like you, I wanted him to be put to sleep at home. The appointment time was 7pm after surgery for the vet and nurse to come here.
It was the worse thing I ever did,for me at least. I was clock watching all day long. Looking at our Rio. It was like I was giving him a death sentence. I just went to pieces when I saw the vet and nurse pass my window at 7pm.
However, they were so good and Rio was gone in a second.
I could cry even now just thinking about it.
I have two twelve year old cats still and I'm almost sure when their time comes, I think I would get one of my adult children to make an appointment and not tell me the time until it was time to go. You can still hold them in your arms at the vets surgery.
Although we want to hang on to them, never let them go, it's far kinder to end a life than to let them suffer. We have to feel for them not for us.
We all know what you're going through.
Thinking of you. flowers

Oldbat1 Mon 26-Oct-20 16:07:21

I really feel so sorry for you - it is never easy even if it is the right decision. I’m sure your vet will give you their honest opinion and support. I’ve said goodbye numerous times to beloved dogs and each goodbye has been very calm and peaceful. Hugs to you and your dog.

Alexa Mon 26-Oct-20 16:08:47

Glinda, you will be doing her a favour. You have loved her and she has loved you and you won't let her down now.She will always be yours. I feel very sympathetic towards you.

Fennel Mon 26-Oct-20 17:33:32

I share your feelings, Glinda. I had to make that decision for our border collie and it was like passing the death sentence on someone you love. She was 15, developing dementia, lost her joie de vivre and most of her senses.
Our vet supported the decision and the actual process was very peaceful - a couple of injections.
This was 2 years ago and I still think of her every day. In fact I just spent about an hour this pm looking at photos of her.

Iam64 Mon 26-Oct-20 21:14:03

In England the Royal Vet College has instructed vets not to do home visits. Our lovely vet came to the house last time we had one of our dogs put to sleep, but this time, we had to take the dog to the surgery. As I mentioned in my earlier post, the vets did everything with our dog resting peacefully in the boot, where she has always travelled. We could both be with her throughout.
Covid affecting everything.