Gransnet forums

Pets

My dog's health is declining. I need to make a decision.

(27 Posts)
Glinda Mon 26-Oct-20 05:03:13

I have an almost 10yr old female border collie who was diagnosed diabetic around 3 months ago. She seemed to be coping well until around 3wks ago when she became very slow and our walks had to become shorter. Her insulin was increased but now she can barely manage getting around the house.
Her legs have gone from under her on several occasions too. She is still eating but I can't feed her between injections so must be weak.
I hate seeing her like this. At the moment she is asleep at the side of my bed after struggling upstairs last night and sleeping on the landing.
I am going to ring the vet this morning and explain that her quality of life has gone. She seems to perk up on the rare occasion but is no longer the dog she was.
I have told myself that it would be cruel to hold on to her just because she has been by my side for 10yrs through thick and thin, including my son's death 4yrs ago.
I have a cat and a 15yr old son at home so I have company and I know deep down she is only going to worsen but why do I feel so guilty if she is to be put to sleep?

Fuchsiarose Mon 26-Oct-20 22:34:56

I know where your coming from. My adored 14 year old dog started to walk into things, could not hear unless it was very loud, became diabetic, and his muscles were weak. I tried everything, injections, etc. And hoped he would be better everyday. I was fooling myself, I went on holiday, other family member took him to the vets. Vet wanted to end things there and then. I said no, travelled back to him. Vet came in the morning. I sat up with him all night, massaging his back and legs gently. He looked at me in the morning and winked. I had taught him to wink, which caused me to get into trouble in the past. He died peacefully, with me holding his head, for obvious reasons. The vet said she had never seen a more chilled dog in such circumstances. He was buried in the garden. I have never missed a pet like I miss him. Pets let us know when they are ready. Bless your dear pet and you.