Gransnet forums

Pets

My dog has dementia. Any advice please.

(31 Posts)
kathsue Wed 21-Apr-21 16:31:12

MY 13 year old border x lakeland terrierhas been a "grumpy old lady" for a while, whining a lot and barking at nothing. About three weeks ago she just stopped sleeping at night. She paces the house from about 10pm till 3 or 4am. She goes and barks at the front door, then at the back door, then at the side door, scratches at any door that is closed in the house including cupboard doors. she'll settle down for about 15 mins then she'll jump up and be off on her rounds again.

I took her to the vet who did blood tests etc and gave her some anti-anxiety tablets which helped at first but I had to keep increasing the dose to have any effect. From the tests they found she has high blood pressure and possible kidney problems. So she's now on special food for kidney function, tranquilisers and Canergy tabs for dementia. Only on 2nd day of these now so don't know yet how effective they'll be.

The lack of sleep is really getting to me. I have MS and not getting a good night's sleep causes me lots of problems. I feel like a zombie and very unsteady on my feet.

Talking to the vet yesterday she very kindly and gently pointed out that dementia is incurable and any treatment is only temporary. This might be the beginning of the end for my pet. This really upset me hearing out loud the thoughts I'd already been thinking.

Sorry for such a long post. I just needed to vent and I'm so tired I can't think straight.
Has anyone else been through anything like this?

Smileless2012 Wed 21-Apr-21 16:38:03

Hi katsue I've never experienced a pet developing dementia but over many years, as all animal lovers have to do, had to make that awful decision to have a much loved pet put to sleep
because it would be unkind to allow it carry on.

I'm so sorry but wonder if this wouldn't be the kindest thing for your much loved dog.

With such little time being settled and most of the time wondering around barking at nothing, scratching at doors etc it does sound as if she's stressed.

Your vet will of course make the appropriate recommendation so perhaps you should discus euthanasia with him/her.

Loislovesstewie Wed 21-Apr-21 16:38:20

My cat was probably suffering from dementia when she died at the grand old age of 22. Nothing like this of course, no obvious noise from her, but she seemed to get forgetful. I'm sorry, I didn't want to read and run, but you might have to think about when enough is enough for your canine companion. I know it is awful for you but be guided by your vet and remember that you are definitely doing the best for her. flowers

Septimia Wed 21-Apr-21 16:41:19

We had a cat that had a stroke in the middle of the night - on my birthday! The only thing that settled him was for me to cuddle him, which I did until the morning and we could take him to the vet.

Another cat developed a tumour behind his eye. The vet gave him an injection - a temporary treatment. For about 6 weeks he was like a kitten, no arthritis, happy and content. Eventually it caught up with him, and when he started to go downhill we knew it was time he went back to the vet to be put to sleep.

I suggest that you see how the treatment goes for a few days. If it helps, try to spend a few quality weeks with your much-loved dog knowing that it's an opportunity to make happy memories.

I do hope the treatment helps and allows you some sleep!

Dinahmo Wed 21-Apr-21 16:45:20

My first thought was she's doing this at night so perhaps try leaving a light on where she sleeps. i had a terrier who went blind and a friend suggested leaving a light on which helped her to settle. I have another dog who is blind and I leave the hall light on, with the doors open because I think that they do sense light and dark.

I'm not suggesting that your dog is blind but do try it. Otherwise, I agree with Smileless2012 and you should consider euthanasia. It is hard but may be the best thing for her.

blondenana Wed 21-Apr-21 17:08:26

I lost my little dog to dementia almost 2 years ago,she was put on medication,which helped and out walking she walked very close to walls,as she had a cataract and another was developing
I took her for a check-up and more medication, but the vet said her organs were failing and she had gone blind
The vet said she needs to be put to sleep,i was shocked and burst into tears
I wanted to take her home and he said ok, but you might need to bring her back tomorrow,
I had her on my bed next to me, and heard her crying at around 4am, she was in the bathroom trying to get behind a radiator,or seemed to be,she was pressing her head against the wall,
I know now i should never have brought her back home
I took her the next morning as soon as they opened,
Please don't let your dog suffer longer than she should
I feel guilty for insisting on bringing her home
It was the shock and i should have let her go before

Nanna58 Wed 21-Apr-21 17:19:01

blondenana , I did exactly the same when my dog had dementia, I left it a few months longer than I should have done to take the hard road and felt very guilty. So sorry for you Kathsue ?

Esspee Wed 21-Apr-21 17:19:26

I have asked my partner to assist me (as much as he can legally) should I develop dementia. It is disgraceful that we can show compassion to our pets but not fellow humans.

I am so sorry kathsue that your old girl is suffering. You know in your heart that it would be a kindness to assist her to pass peacefully.

Redhead56 Wed 21-Apr-21 17:22:25

We had our lovely little Jack Russell for nearly 16 years. He was hard work initially very stubborn not house trained when we got him. I worked hard training him and adored him over the years he gave us great pleasure.
He started doing weird things walking backwards was one of them and being aggressive. Not sleeping barking all the time and messing in the house. I admit we put up with it for ages but had to seek advice from the vet. We were both very upset talking to the vet about it he took it into his own hands. He said he could see the stress we were under and did not want us to take our dog home. He reckoned our dog was suffering severe dementia and it had clearly been going on along time.
We agreed it had been tearing us apart we decided to say goodbye sooner rather than later. We realised we had not done our dog any favour being in denial of his behaviour.
We miss him dearly but it was the right thing to do as we gave him a good life.

kathsue Wed 21-Apr-21 18:35:34

Thank you all for your kind replies. I've just been to the vets to pick up more of her tablets.

I've tried leaving lights on and giving her lots of cuddles but it doesn't work for long. I've spent a good few hours on the sofa with her trying to soothe her to sleep. Once I found myself singing her a lullaby I was so desperate!

She does have other health problems i.e. arthritis following a cruciate ligament injury, cataracts and some benign skin growths.

I'm going to see how she gets on with these new tablets but if they don't help I know I'll have to consider euthanasia. In the meantime, as Septimia said, I am going to take her to some of her favourite places and hope she enjoys her last few weeks.

Redhead56 Wed 21-Apr-21 18:51:45

Such a difficult time for you ?

MayBee70 Wed 21-Apr-21 18:56:42

My first dog developed dementia and kept me awake at night. She would bark at cupboards or doors and didn’t know day from night (she had been blind from an early age). Even though I was a lot younger then with no health problems I can remember how exhausted I was. I took her to the vets one day and he gave her Valium. As I left he said to me, by the way, they’re for the dog, not you. Another dog had dementia and was also incontinent. Just prior to having her pts I watched her in the garden as she stumbled around bumping into things and I realised that her quality of life was not good. Both times I should have made the decision sooner. It’s awful to have to decide that for a condition that isn’t actually life threatening but you have to weigh up both your dogs quality of life with your own and not feel any guilt having given her a lovely life. I do know exactly what you’re going through, though. x

Witzend Wed 21-Apr-21 19:03:55

I’m so sorry to hear this, OP.
My son in law’s parents’ dog had dementia. He was very upset on returning home after working abroad, that the dog no longer remembered him at all.

I’ve also seen it in a dog at a Cinnamon Trust home. The dog was endlessly pacing back and forth, much the same as I’d often seen in my FiL with dementia.

As your vet said, it’s not going to get better and will very likely only get worse. Heartbreaking though I know it is, if you’re finding it hard to cope, maybe it’s time to think about saying goodbye to her.

geekesse Wed 21-Apr-21 19:27:54

Put the poor creature out of her misery. She is confused and frightened, and the kinds of therapy that humans can use to help ease the confusion of dementia don’t work for dogs. Keeping her alive just because you can’t bear to say goodbye isn’t kind.

TrendyNannie6 Wed 21-Apr-21 19:37:19

So sorry to hear that your dog has developed dementia, I think the time has come for her to be put to sleep, it’s the kindest thing you can do for her,

Witzend Wed 21-Apr-21 19:38:29

TBH, geekesse, they don’t necessarily work for humans, either, but we don’t have the option of releasing them from their unending anxiety and confusion.

MayBee70 Wed 21-Apr-21 19:41:09

I’ve just read the OP and realised the little dog has kidney failure too. This will only get worse and even with treatment her condition might deteriorate very quickly. I do think that, sadly, the time has come to say goodbye. No matter how many pets we have it ever gets any easier.....

Nonogran Wed 21-Apr-21 19:47:46

We had the vet come to the house to put our beloved dog to sleep. He was in his own bed & quietly drifted off. The last voice he heard was my partner's. Having the vet at the house was a great comfort to us & meant our dear dog was as relaxed as possible in his familiar environment. Why not think of doing the same when you think the end is nigh.
Sending a hug & kind thoughts as you get through this.

kathsue Wed 21-Apr-21 19:57:05

Just have to add that she's not confused all the time. She still enjoys her food, going out for walks and playing with her ball in the garden. She still has some quality of life. If she didn't I wouldn't hesitate to have her PTS.

kathsue Wed 21-Apr-21 19:59:02

Thank you for the hugs and flowers. I needed them.

Shelflife Wed 21-Apr-21 20:01:23

Kathsue, you are having a very sad and difficult time . We love our pets so much . However , sometimes we must do the kindest thing and say goodbye. My much loved elderly cat was put to sleep, it was heartbreaking.
My vet suggested putting him to sleep , I decided to take him home, that evening he was very lethargic and obviously feeling ill. The next morning I knew what to do , I took him straight to the vet and said goodbye. The process was very calm and peaceful. My vet said " remember unlike you he is unaware of what is happening" That was comforting. Afterwards I felt sad but relieved. I am thinking about you and I feel sure you will come to the correct decision.

sodapop Thu 22-Apr-21 09:06:59

So sorry to hear about your lovely dog kathsue I think you are doing the right thing by making her last days as happy as you can. You do have to consider your own health in all this, don't feel guilty about that.
Don't leave it too long to put her to sleep, we did this recently and realised we were keeping on for our sakes rather than the dog's. Be strong for her, bon courage.thanks

vampirequeen Thu 22-Apr-21 11:20:27

My neighbour has a dog that is going blind and deaf, and has dementia. At the moment she still has a good quality of life (although she always has to be on a lead because she gets lost very easily) and sometimes even reverts to being like a puppy, running around and having fun. But my neighbour knows it won't be long and is psyching herself up for the time when the little dog passes away naturally (which I hope it does) or has to be put to sleep.

aonk Thu 22-Apr-21 11:34:03

I’m not a dog owner but before the pandemic I did a lot of childcare for my DS at his house. They had a lovely dog who was becoming increasingly more frail. He seemed confused, became very immobile and lost control of his bowels and sometimes his bladder. With young children around there was of course a hygiene issue. I cleaned up after him willingly but it became more and more unpleasant. I said very little to my DS and DIL but was so relieved when they finally reached the difficult decision to say goodbye. I feel they left it too long and the dog was unhappy. Comfort yourself that you’re doing the best for your dog. It will be hard but you will recover from the loss.

Elle57 Thu 22-Apr-21 19:15:52

We have a Toy Poodle with dementia, she has been on Vivotonin for the past two years. Thoroughly recommend. It is obvious she is getting past the help of medication now (18 years old) but we are still getting a good night's sleep. I am not sure if they are suitable for dogs with kidney problems, but worth asking your vet if your current medication does not work. We have had to adapt our lives around our dog, during daytime hours we take her outside for toileting purposes every 30/40 minutes - unless she is fast asleep of course! Bowls of water, raised, in every room. Still goes for a walk every day. She is our old dog but with extra needs!
Good luck with the medication and don't give up yet.