Gransnet forums

Pets

What's healthiest cat food

(33 Posts)
Tabby555 Mon 26-Apr-21 12:07:17

I'm looking for any advice on the healthiest cat foods to feed my senior cat.As I worry he may not be getting all the nourishment he needs and I think he gets fed up with the cat food I give him.Just wondering if anyone has any helpful suggestions.

FannyCornforth Wed 28-Apr-21 15:30:13

Gosh Sue, my Maine Coon isn't like that at all, thank goodness!
They do seem to have a wide range of temperaments

Artaylar Wed 28-Apr-21 15:56:46

Purina dried cat food. She's been on this since a babe - Purina do different products for different ages - and at 15 this year, she still has a shiny coat and good teeth.

Very occasionally give her the odd treat such as chicken or salmon.

SueDonim Wed 28-Apr-21 16:58:03

This pair live in a very rural area, Fanny so they can roam far and wide. They hunt as a pair, the girl is the brains while the boy provides the brawn, then they bring home their loot between them. The boy lives out for much of the summer while the girl prefers to sleep at home. They’re happy to have their meals and a cosy bed provided in the winter though! grin

grandtanteJE65 Thu 29-Apr-21 15:28:48

From the health point of view I suspect they are much of a muchness.

That said, however, yes, cats do get fed up if expected to eat the same brand all the time, so trying somethiing else might be appreciated.

Do buy a single pouch or tin, as there are absolutely no guarentees that your dear puss will eat it.

Mine has been known to turn up his nose at perfectly good cat food and recommend me to give it to the passing poor!

If he is refusing dried food, it might be because he old teeth are not quite up to it any more.

My soon to be 14 cat is not madly interested in dried food these days, but as he still crunches pork crackling that my elderly teeth can't cope with. I gather his teeth are still fine!

Vange1 Fri 30-Apr-21 11:01:02

We give our cats Butchers Classic. It comes in tins, which puts a lot of people off, but we have stuck to it over the years, & we believe it to be the best. It is gluten free.

AlisonKF Fri 30-Apr-21 13:52:46

My old Siamese female has had most of her teeth removed, and though game to try dry food, most of it comes back up . My solution at last is CARNY by a German firm called Animonda available through online supplier, Zooplus, or direct by googling. Sold in small tins, it smells like proper meat because it is very high in protein, unlike cheap supermarket brands. It is a sort of chewy, chunky, pate which seems to satisfy her need to get stuck into into something more solid than a tiny sachet full mostly of jelly and tiny shreds of meat or fish. Not cheap, but I am full of guilt for all the rubbish foods I fed cats in the past when there was no internet to look things up on. She gets through a whole tin a day and a bit more, sometimes.

Tabby555 Sat 01-May-21 16:22:32

Thank you to all for advice on cat food, very helpful