Gransnet forums

Pets

Any donkey lovers on here?

(21 Posts)
Grannynannywanny Wed 26-May-21 22:34:09

Here’s a heartwarming clip...

m.facebook.com/TheIrishPost/videos/donkey-gets-emotional-when-reuniting-with-owner/326489405660255/

Gannygangan Wed 26-May-21 22:36:24

That's so lovely!

I have a soft spot for donkeys. Adopted a couple from the Sidmouth Donkey Sanctuary.

Thanks for posting smile

LadyStardust Wed 26-May-21 22:39:06

Oh I adore donkeys. They are such placid, loving creatures. My dream is to own enough land to start a donkey sanctuary! That video brought tears to my eyes!

EllanVannin Wed 26-May-21 22:43:40

Isn't that just lovely ? I like donkeys too. Imagine a greeting like that, aww.

Gwyneth Wed 26-May-21 22:46:42

I love donkeys and get terribly upset when I hear about the mistreatment of any animal. The video was just so moving. Thank you for posting it grannynanny.

Shinamae Wed 26-May-21 22:52:58

Breaks my heart to see those adverts on the TV about how the donkeys are just used as beast of burden in other countries. I have supported the donkey sanctuary for years....

Lauren59 Wed 26-May-21 22:53:17

I love it! ? I love all animals and can’t understand anyone mistreating them.

Dinahmo Wed 26-May-21 22:54:21

That's lovely. Thank you.

Grannynannywanny Wed 26-May-21 22:56:13

I’ve loved donkeys since I was a small child on holiday at my grandparents farm in rural Ireland. Their resident donkey was there to work but as far as I was concerned he was my holiday pet and I adored him. He lived till I was a teenager and I was so upset to arrive one year and find out he’d died.

FindingNemo15 Thu 27-May-21 09:17:15

Thank you for putting video on GN - lovely. I actually eat, sleep, walk, talk donkeys and probably drive everyone mad.

LadyStarDust maybe we could start a sanctuary together?

Cannot tolerate any animal cruelty.

Aveline Thu 27-May-21 09:24:30

Donkeys are such characters. You only have to see one to smile.

B9exchange Thu 27-May-21 09:24:53

Lovely clip. I have a different experience, at the animal sanctuary we went to in Buenos Aires, where the big cats are brought up with dogs and treat humans the same way as the dogs, I was able to stroke and feed a really old lioness and a tigon, also an elephant, but when it came to the donkey I was encouraged to get close to him and the next thing I new was a really large bite out of my arm (yes, I had washed after touching the other animals!). I just think equines don't like me very much, a New Forest pony broke my hand with a kick 20 years ago!

But how wonderful to see the relationship the girl had with her donkey friend!

Kali2 Thu 27-May-21 09:57:55

Just wonderful (I cried- so there )

henetha Thu 27-May-21 10:00:04

There is something very appealing about donkeys. When I win the lottery I shall buy land and adopt some.

Gwyneth Thu 27-May-21 22:28:22

That’s exactly what I’d like to do henetha just got to win the lottery first!

aggie Thu 27-May-21 22:33:53

We had a donkey when I was a child , such a cantankerous and vicious animal ! It ran at us with teeth bared , Dad said it was smiling at us … yea right .. he got butted and had to jump the gate! It wasn’t there the next morning

Venus Thu 27-May-21 22:41:49

I've left a legacy to the Donkey Sanctuary when I die. Lovely animals.

MayBee70 Thu 27-May-21 23:26:01

Does anyone know the story behind it because I’ve seen the video but don’t know why they’d been separated? My favourite Ladybird book from childhood was Ned the Lonely Donkey.

ElaineI Fri 28-May-21 18:33:59

Oh my word smile

Ashcombe Fri 28-May-21 18:57:38

My DH had a donkey for a while, offered as company for his one remaining horse after the other one had died. They were good together but the donkey was more intelligent and could be mischievous. Nevertheless, he was great fun with his braying when I first opened the volet each morning or when we returned from shopping or a walk.

Redhead56 Fri 28-May-21 19:09:21

I have always given to animal charity SPANA . I would love to own land and keep them.