Gransnet forums

Pets

I've brought you a present -said by the cat

(105 Posts)
grandtanteJE65 Mon 19-Jul-21 10:56:29

Usually when cats proudly bring you a present, it is a bird or a mouse, as I am sure you will all agree.

Mine has done this too in the past, but this summer he has proudly presented me with A CAT!

A young, healthy, adult tom cat, who acknowledges our cat as the elder cat in authority here and treats him with great respect, but quite plainly regards me as Mummy!

The new cat is a stray and no-one has come forward to claim him, nor is he chipped or tattooed.

The old cat looks fondly and proudly on when the youngster cuddles me or marches into the house looking for me. He evinces no jealousy at all, but does insist that he still has precedence and reserves the right to turf the other out if he gets tired of him.

"Out" being a foot or so from the back door for ten minutes - nothing to worry about at all.

Anyone else been given a cat by the resident cat?

We rather suspect our old cat knows he won't be here much longer and has provided us providently with his successor!

SueDonim Wed 21-Jul-21 17:40:18

A trash panda with a kitten! ❤️

Infinity2 Wed 21-Jul-21 16:44:10

Bijou - thank God your cat got you up.

Aveline - those photos are great !

Bijou Wed 21-Jul-21 16:32:17

Many years ago I was given a four week old kitten but my bitch was having a false pregnancy and had come into milk so adopted him as if he was a puppy. They slept together and went for walks together. However the cat was a hunter and would go over to the copse and bring back rabbits and pheasants of which he would eat the best parts. Sometimes he would be missing for days so I took the dog to the copse and she would find him asleep under a tree with his belly so full he could hardly move.
We used to go caravanning most weekends and the animals came with us. If we stopped in a lay-by for a break we could let them both out to relieve themselves
When the dog died he walked round the garden looking very dejected.
One night there was a knocking on the front door. It was Timmy. I couldn’t understand because he had a cat flap. I got back to bed but he kept jumping on me. So I got up and went into the kitchen where I found smoke coming from where the electric wire came into the bungalow. We had overhead cables being in the country.
I think cats are more intelligent than dogs.

Aveline Wed 21-Jul-21 16:21:17

Some pics that might entertain you catgrans!

Infinity2 Wed 21-Jul-21 16:15:58

I’ve never heard of a British Shorthair cat. I know they’re pedigree. Are they the same as a British Blue Harmonypuss ?

I love Siamese cats. Forty years ago there was one at the end of our road, it was a Chocolate Point. When he died his owner got another one but it was stolen. How wicked some people are.

Harmonypuss Wed 21-Jul-21 16:02:42

@Infinity2 .... that's such a gorgeous kitten, much like the beauties I used to breed.

I've got a 7yr old cocker spaniel right now and he's not enamoured with cats so I'm bidding my time until he passes and then I'll have a houseful of British Shorthairs once again, and no, they won't be bringing any gifts as they'll be restricted to the house and an outdoor pen ?❤

Nicegranny Wed 21-Jul-21 16:01:58

Aveline
(The name of my children’s tooth fairy)

You sound as daft as me always on the lookout for a cat to say hello to. I won’t have a dog or cat now because I like to travel as much as I can but I miss having them terribly.
When I go on my daily stroll I always have a pack of tiny dog treats in my pocket. I usually meet a few regulars to pet and fuss and they know that I carry treats. One little Jack Russell literally launches himself at me and it makes me feel happy.
People must think
“there’s that crazy dog lady” ??

Infinity2 Wed 21-Jul-21 15:10:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CBBL Wed 21-Jul-21 15:05:59

My cats are indoor only - so our only presents are the occasional fly, or bits of paper from the recycling bin!
I'd love another cat, but we would need another room first, to put the next litter tray!

Janet8 Wed 21-Jul-21 14:59:52

My sons cat brought him a lovely stray friend too, an entire Tom tabby with a lovely temperament. Sadly it brought with it an abundance of fleas. He ended up with both cats and a carpet full of the little beggars. Cost him a fortune to deflea cats and house and then the stray decided he had had enough and was off on his way again. At least he had been rid of all fleas and worms.

Rosina Wed 21-Jul-21 14:58:29

Our elderly cat regarded one of the two kittens we took in as his apprentice. He showed him around, and the two became firm friends. The other kitten was treated kindly, but clearly deemed not smart enough to take over. When our much loved and clever older cat died, his little friend did indeed assume many of the patrolling, human observation and bay window security duties, and sat in the same sunny spots.

TanaMa Wed 21-Jul-21 14:45:00

I had 8 rescue cats and all had their individual hunting areas. One went through the road drain to the wood opposite, one to the same wood but through the fields higher up the road, one went to a woodland pond high above the house, one to the stables and hay barn and so on. Late afternoon they would all respond to my whistle and come home for their dinner. Most lived until around 14/15 years with cancer the culprit. Of the 8 I still have two left. They were, and are, great hunters with rabbits (alive and returned to the woods) and one's speciality is moles - in double figures!
There used to be many feral cats in the woods and farmland around but with the help if Cats Protection, many (mostly toms) were trapped and neutered to live a happier life. One such boy came back a few weeks later and decided to stay and become a family pet! They all loved the family dogs and shared beds.

Purplecatlover1 Wed 21-Jul-21 14:38:19

I had a cat who brought all the neighbourhood cats home. They weren’t strays and it took me a year or so to realise she wanted another cat then I adopted one and no longer had all the neighbourhood cats being told to visit (and eat the food she didn’t like ? ) I don’t know if she didn’t like being an only cat or if it was because she was so old and knew I’d cope better with another one when the time came, she was 27 when she died.

Silvertwigs Wed 21-Jul-21 14:34:53

Awww bless you and your thoughts xx

Dianehillbilly1957 Wed 21-Jul-21 14:29:41

What a lovely cat you have to think of you and gift you a replacement for your heart ❤️ when needed. Bless!

coastalgran Wed 21-Jul-21 14:27:09

They do say that cats choose the person and place not the other way round. So I suppose you should be honoured that these two felines have decided between themselves that you need them both in your life. I have never been a cat person always having dogs and you definitely do the choosing for better or worse. I have always been lucky with my dogs. Good luck with your new feline companion.

SueDonim Wed 21-Jul-21 14:22:03

There was a post this week on my local FB page about a stray cat someone had found. Three people messaged to say it was their cat! ??

Scottiebear Wed 21-Jul-21 14:07:36

Aw bless. Thats very sweet.

Nannan2 Wed 21-Jul-21 13:41:38

Aww, i just love cats.??

GreyKnitter Wed 21-Jul-21 13:35:18

What a lovely story! And what a clever cat. Ours brought home a gift of different nature this morning - semi digested mouse! Luckily outside on the doorstep not inside. Enjoy your new family member!

kjmpde Wed 21-Jul-21 13:34:42

really envious. We used to have a cat that visited us but none actually brought home by our 2! the smallest cat was followed by a tom and she got annoyed as it stopped her hunting - she kept hitting him if he followed her up the tree but was ok down at ground level

Nannan2 Wed 21-Jul-21 13:28:43

My other DD was talking about her cat when she came to door to collect something- and she said he might not have long left maybe, but that he was getting old though (hers is about 16 in human years) i said don't let mine hear you, he's 14! (He had heard, and gave her 'The Stare' as he passed us)??

Infinity2 Wed 21-Jul-21 13:20:39

Camelotclub - you mean because the shrew nearly hit me on the head !

Nannan2 Wed 21-Jul-21 13:19:09

Oh yes this happens round my garden- all through covid (and before) 3 other cats 'visit' with mine- during lock downs they've all sat in garden apart from each other as though 'social distancing' and my cat tries to bring one of them in with him- i said "No" and he gives me 'The Stare" (other cat owners will know what i mean!) ? But i feel sorry for other (smaller) cat, so i started to put out a bit of the food my cat ignores.(good stuff too!) Last time he brought one in it never left so my DD adopted it but sadly after a few mths it got run over?

Camelotclub Wed 21-Jul-21 13:17:52

Infinity2
Your story made me cry!