Gransnet forums

Pets

I've brought you a present -said by the cat

(105 Posts)
grandtanteJE65 Mon 19-Jul-21 10:56:29

Usually when cats proudly bring you a present, it is a bird or a mouse, as I am sure you will all agree.

Mine has done this too in the past, but this summer he has proudly presented me with A CAT!

A young, healthy, adult tom cat, who acknowledges our cat as the elder cat in authority here and treats him with great respect, but quite plainly regards me as Mummy!

The new cat is a stray and no-one has come forward to claim him, nor is he chipped or tattooed.

The old cat looks fondly and proudly on when the youngster cuddles me or marches into the house looking for me. He evinces no jealousy at all, but does insist that he still has precedence and reserves the right to turf the other out if he gets tired of him.

"Out" being a foot or so from the back door for ten minutes - nothing to worry about at all.

Anyone else been given a cat by the resident cat?

We rather suspect our old cat knows he won't be here much longer and has provided us providently with his successor!

Aveline Wed 21-Jul-21 16:21:17

Some pics that might entertain you catgrans!

Bijou Wed 21-Jul-21 16:32:17

Many years ago I was given a four week old kitten but my bitch was having a false pregnancy and had come into milk so adopted him as if he was a puppy. They slept together and went for walks together. However the cat was a hunter and would go over to the copse and bring back rabbits and pheasants of which he would eat the best parts. Sometimes he would be missing for days so I took the dog to the copse and she would find him asleep under a tree with his belly so full he could hardly move.
We used to go caravanning most weekends and the animals came with us. If we stopped in a lay-by for a break we could let them both out to relieve themselves
When the dog died he walked round the garden looking very dejected.
One night there was a knocking on the front door. It was Timmy. I couldn’t understand because he had a cat flap. I got back to bed but he kept jumping on me. So I got up and went into the kitchen where I found smoke coming from where the electric wire came into the bungalow. We had overhead cables being in the country.
I think cats are more intelligent than dogs.

Infinity2 Wed 21-Jul-21 16:44:10

Bijou - thank God your cat got you up.

Aveline - those photos are great !

SueDonim Wed 21-Jul-21 17:40:18

A trash panda with a kitten! ❤️

kevincharley Wed 21-Jul-21 18:46:06

Oh, I wish! My 13 year old burmese refuses to grow old gracefully and is still fighting off newcomers. Only difference is he's getting injured more often - had to have his eyelid stitched back together a little while back.

storynanny Wed 21-Jul-21 18:59:34

You must all read one of my favourite children’s books
Six dinner Sid!

Aveline Wed 21-Jul-21 19:09:39

It's a popular one with the grandchildren storynanny. I have you read 'Hairy Mclary from Donaldson's Dairy'?

Blondiescot Wed 21-Jul-21 19:12:12

Storynanny and Aveline - I love both of those and still read them to my grandson! The Mog books by Judith Kerr are another favourite of mine.

Aveline Wed 21-Jul-21 19:23:10

DD's kitten Holly looking sadly out at two other cats in the trampoline...

Infinity2 Wed 21-Jul-21 20:22:48

Aveline - what a beautiful photograph. ❤️

Kiwigramz Wed 21-Jul-21 21:16:38

A lovely trend. I needed cheering up. This is heartwarming. Thank you

Aveline Wed 21-Jul-21 21:49:15

Infinity2 as I've posted before our dear cat Baz died suddenly and without warning recently. However, Holly, the kitten in the picture I posted is my grandkitten and DD also has another Ragdoll called Snowball. Unfortunately they don't get on well at all. Snowball won't speak to anyone in the house since Holly arrived but gives me and DH a tremendous welcome when we go round. It's very funny. DD and family just have to put up with the now very huffy Snowball teaching them a lesson for getting another cat.

Infinity2 Wed 21-Jul-21 22:39:25

What a gorgeous looking cat Holly is !
I’ve just looked up Ragdolls on the net and they are amazing. I’ve never seen one before.
How lucky the cats are to have such a lovely family to look after them.
And I’m sure your sweetie Baz knows how much he was loved. They break our hearts when they pass on to a better place, but it’s a small price to pay for the joy they bring.
Probably you’ll think I’m crazy but I used to pray for my pets when it was bedtime, and I still pray every night for all creatures great and small.

storynanny Wed 21-Jul-21 22:52:17

Yes I love Mog and Hairy Maclary too
Six dinner sid was always a favourite in my infant classroom

Mistyfluff8 Thu 22-Jul-21 03:44:30

Our ginger cat made friends with another younger ginger cat from across the street .My cat being older this one respected him .Sadly our cat died but we still have lodger ginger cat he didn’t like his home as they had 2young children and a kitten that terrorised him .

Forestflame Thu 22-Jul-21 17:59:28

Sharing a picture of my puss cat who is nearly 16 now. She was a rescue ? and I have had her since she was 9 weeks old.

Infinity2 Thu 22-Jul-21 18:07:01

Forestflame - she is beautiful. What a lovely face !

Bluebellwould Thu 22-Jul-21 18:41:44

My two burmese girls who like to leave toys in my bed during the night so I wake up with them sticking to various body parts. Fortunately that are house cats and can’t get at any rodents, moles or frogs.

Ethelwashere1 Thu 22-Jul-21 20:10:42

What a lovely sad story for the OP
Hope the older cat lives a long time with his new pal. Ive just taken in a very thin flea ridden female who has given me the gift of 3 gorgeous kittens. I could eat them. They will have to go but im vetting prospective owners carefully. I now have 6 cats but can really afford them. The babies vet bills are x3. However i will do my best with love for my babies

Ethelwashere1 Thu 22-Jul-21 20:12:03

I meant I cant afford them but im going to ask prospective owners for a small donationcto get mamma cat spayed

SueDonim Fri 23-Jul-21 01:03:13

Has anyone else seen this article about cats? They’re so norty! ?

www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/jul/22/hidden-world-cats-what-feline-friends-doing-when-were-not-looking?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Susysue Fri 23-Jul-21 01:23:37

Ethelwashere1

What a lovely sad story for the OP
Hope the older cat lives a long time with his new pal. Ive just taken in a very thin flea ridden female who has given me the gift of 3 gorgeous kittens. I could eat them. They will have to go but im vetting prospective owners carefully. I now have 6 cats but can really afford them. The babies vet bills are x3. However i will do my best with love for my babies

Well done ethelwasherel for having a big heart and taking in this wee soul and her kitties. Hope you find good homes for the kitties and mama cat can be spayed and looked after by you. You have a good heart ❤

Forestflame Sat 24-Jul-21 23:00:54

Infinity2. Thank you☺️

MissAdventure Sat 24-Jul-21 23:10:57

I feel really sad.
I so much want a cat. sad
I live by a road, though, and I'd worry about it getting run over.
I sometimes wish someone would dump a kitten on my doorstep, so I "had" to take it in.

SueDonim Sun 25-Jul-21 11:32:16

Can you not have a house cat, MissAdventure? Our last three have been housecats and very happy with it!