Gransnet forums

Pets

Too old for a puppy?

(62 Posts)
Hels001 Wed 13-Oct-21 21:09:53

Hi all
I'm in a quandary wonder if I could have your wise thoughts and words of wisdom. I already have a much loved pooch. He's such a good boy and I wouldn't have been without him during these past few years. He was originally 1 of 2 but my older dog had to be put to sleep. I work part-time and am 57 so will still do so for a while. I've the opportunity to have a puppy from my dogs sister. I've always said I would love another however my daughter thinks I'm too old now and should I become ill in the future there would be no one to look after them. I understand this and just recently I've had a close friend diagnosed stage 4 cancer and an older brother whose going through severe illness. Im now beginning to doubt myself. I've spent several sleepless nights going through different scenarios what if this happens what if that were to happen any wise words please?

ayse Wed 13-Oct-21 21:18:45

Maybe you could have the puppy and find a dog share person or two. There are websites that match people who want to dog share. My daughter has two dog babysitters who look after her dog a couple of days a week, especially whilst she is at work.

You’re certainly not old at 57. Just think that in 10 years time you’ll only be 67 and still (hopefully) fit and healthy. We generally live longer these days. You can grow older gracefully (or disgracefully) together.

B9exchange Wed 13-Oct-21 21:19:07

Goodness me, 57 is no age at all! Anything can happen to anyone at any age, but you can't let that stop you. However you say you work part time, who would look after the puppy while you were at work? If you can sort that one, then go for it, you could have another 30 active years ahead of you at least! There are organisations that will take a dog if their owner is unable to look after it, you could investigate those and reassure your daughter. If mine had suggested I was getting past it at 57 she would have got very short shrift! grin

Scones Wed 13-Oct-21 21:25:20

57 is young! You know exactly what looking after dogs entails and if you feel able I would go for it. None of us know what's around the corner but if you are in good health and capable then you have to live as though you're not going to die for a good while...or just sit waiting to die.

I see that most of the dogs for adoption on our local board are from younger people whose housing/work situation has changed rather than from older people who have become incapable or died.

I'm bound to say it....could you not get a rescue dog rather than a puppy? There seem so many needing homes.

Scones Wed 13-Oct-21 21:31:14

Sorry, I meant to say that I'm so sorry to hear your friend and brother are so poorly. Your dear dog must be such a comfort to you at the moment. They are always there for us when we need them aren't they.

SueDonim Wed 13-Oct-21 21:33:15

You’re not old at 57! Do you have any particular reason for thinking you may succumb to poor health within the lifespan of a new dog? If not, then get another dog, if it’s what you want. I understand that there are ways of ensuring a pet left behind can be cared for - if that would give you peace of mind, it’s something worth considering.

Kali2 Wed 13-Oct-21 21:43:52

Not too ld- but everyone of any age, who takes on a pet should have a plan in place, just in case- and with the approval of course of the possible takers over. Or join a charity where you pay a small sum regularly to ensure your pet would be looked after and re-homed - should anything happen, short-term, long-term ... or forever. Anything can happen!

Have fun, enjoy.

Zoejory Wed 13-Oct-21 21:47:35

You're not too old.

Get the puppy! smile

Josianne Wed 13-Oct-21 21:50:29

Think of it as an investment in your health. A puppy keeps you fit, happy and contented. I've not stopped smiling these last few weeks with mine!

Hels001 Wed 13-Oct-21 21:50:29

Thank you so much for your advice. I'm fortunate to work close enough to be able to nip home during breaks im not out of the house long. I think I'm probably reacting to what's been happening to friends and family. Goodness my boy has been my saviour these past couple of years such good company I sometimes wonder if I'd have had a reason to get up if not for him. I think I will go ahead. Your right I need to stop dwelling on what ifs and tell my daughter I'm not past it yet. Thank you.

Josianne Wed 13-Oct-21 21:52:34

Like this

Granmarderby10 Wed 13-Oct-21 22:11:05

Hels001 so….you are too young to retire yet…at the grand old age of 57 and you( only ) work part time but your daughter thinks you are too old now !! Have I read right? grin

Does your daughter think perhaps that you will burden her with dog sitting duties? Just a? thought.
In my opinion your daughter should: (a) realise that people can get ill at any time and any age, (b) remember that they often as not recover again and (c) try to cultivate some empathy, as you are clearly feeling vulnerable because of your friends late stage cancer diagnosis and your older brothers’ serious illness.
If you believe your are up for a puppy and all that the first year will entail and that you, your other dog and finances will cope then you should go for it. ?

Grandmafrench Wed 13-Oct-21 22:27:16

Points for:
You're a dog owner already so you know what you're doing
Your new puppy would have a friend and a mentor
You only work part time
You're able to go home and check on the dogs regularly
You've benefitted so much from having dogs
You're REALLY YOUNG !!!!!!

Points against:
You'd need to have some help on standby in the very early stages, until you were sure that the dog/s were happy and you were in a good routine.

It's a no brainer to me - be very happy taking on another pup!!

VANECAM Wed 13-Oct-21 22:43:26

Of course it’s a serious decision to make and you are right to highlight your age as a potential issue.

I assume that you are fit and take regular exercise. But it’s not your current exercise regime that’s counts because having a puppy means that your current regime will likely be multiplied by two or three.

That means energy and commitment.

I had no idea what I was letting myself in for when I got my pup but you obviously do since you already have a dog.

My dog is my life. Beautiful, loyal and fun. I wouldn’t be without him.

CafeAuLait Wed 13-Oct-21 22:46:06

57 is young. Unless you have real reason to worry about your health the next ten years, I wouldn't factor your age into the decision at this point. A dog lives about 14 years, depending on the breed, so even if it lives longer, you should outlive it.

None of us know what the future brings. Some people get puppies at the young age of 25 only to die before they are 30. Some people live past 100. I would base the decision based on your current health and expectations for your health in the future.

Callistemon Wed 13-Oct-21 22:50:44

Goodness me 57, is young!

However, should you decide to have another dog perhaps you could ask someone if they could be your backup in case you are ever ill and need help with the dog.
It would seem that your daughter wouldn't be keen so perhaps that is why she's trying to dissuade you.

It's your decision. The only thing that would make me hesitate (sorry) is if your dog would be happy to have another puppy in the house, especially if you are out at work.

Audi10 Wed 13-Oct-21 22:52:48

Goodness me 57 is not old, illness etc can happen at any age, you have another dog so you know already about all the things that come with dog ownership, you go for it, you go for it

Deedaa Wed 13-Oct-21 22:56:22

My best friend is nearly 76 and has a shetland sheepdog who is only a few years old. She is out everyday walking her and loves having her around. She has become friendly with her late husband's carer who also has a dog and they share dog walking and dog sitting. Her life would be very dull without the dog.

I just have two cats but a dog is definitely a nonstarter with them around.

DillytheGardener Wed 13-Oct-21 23:00:08

You’re the same age as me and I still feel very young, I also have one very young dog too (companion for an older one). Get the dog and enjoy your four legged friends! You’ll also find it gives your older dog a new lease of life!

misty34 Wed 13-Oct-21 23:06:47

i was 57 when I got my last puppy. He is 5 now. I had forgotten how much they take over your life in the early days i.e. Teething and chewing etc and all that energy! Flying around the house like a little tornado! But it passes. Really enjoy our walks and his mad antics. I don't know what breed you are thinking of but sounds like similar to the dog you have.
Go for it and have fun. You are experienced dog owner it will be fine

Shelflife Wed 13-Oct-21 23:22:53

Of course you are not too old!¡! You are a experienced dog owner and have spent much time planning the possibility of having a puppy. Your daughter may think you are old - you are not. Obviously a puppy is hard work and demanding but I feel you are prepared for that. The other option is an adult rescue dog. Either way the dog will have a loving home and a sensible owner. Go for it and enjoy.

Caleo Wed 13-Oct-21 23:29:19

You are not too old for a puppy.

St any age an accicent can happen and you need a plan for someone to adopt of foster your animals.

If you are permanently unable to care
for your dogs the RSPCA have a plan to rescue the animals and rehome them.

How old is your dog that you have now? He may be too old too old to have a puppy bothering him.

Have you grandkids? They may want to use your baby dog like a plaything.

heath480 Thu 14-Oct-21 01:20:30

I got a puppy when I was 66,it has been fabulous,walking him everyday.He is a rescue dog and my constant companion,we spend 24/7 together.So 57 is young,go for it.

Lauren59 Thu 14-Oct-21 01:54:50

I’m 62 and got my Golden Retriever when I was 59. I like to live my life as if I have plenty of tomorrows ahead of me! I was still working for two years after getting him and like you I was able to hurry home at lunch to let him out. He went to a dog minder (a local family takes in a few dogs as extra income) several days a week. It has worked out beautifully. I know you’ll enjoy your sweet puppy!

Txquiltz Thu 14-Oct-21 02:00:49

You are hardly ready for the grave! You are however ready for the joys and laughter you will enjoy with a puppy. He just might help you stay young. Your daughter will learn that 59 is not “old”.