Gransnet forums

Pets

Goodbye little Nell.

(36 Posts)
Sago Sun 06-Feb-22 09:27:12

We said goodbye to our little witchy Patterdale terrier yesterday.
She was nearly 16!

My youngest son was 11 when we got her, it seems such a long time ago!
We have lived in 5 houses since she came to us had two grandchildren, set up two businesses and lived through a pandemic!

We took her to our lovely vet after a meal of tuna and rice, she even got to lick the tin!
As the vet did what she had to do we fed Nell little bits of cheese and cuddled her.

It really was quick and painless.
We always said we would not let her suffer and although we’re very sad, I’m so glad we made the decision.

I remembered a thread recently about staying with your pet until the end, I would never have considered not doing but will stress to anyone dreading it, it’s really not so bad.

LaCrepescule Sun 06-Feb-22 17:05:08

Here is my baby boy the evening before I put him to sleep just over 3 weeks ago. He was about 14 (rescue dog) and I loved him to the moon and back. Feel for you OP, your dog was a great age and obviously greatly loved.

Callistemon21 Sun 06-Feb-22 17:32:01

They will always hold a special place in your heart.

HowVeryDareYou Sun 06-Feb-22 18:47:11

Sago So sorry for your loss. She was obviously very loved

sodapop Sun 06-Feb-22 20:30:56

So sorry Sago our pets have such a special place in our hearts don't they. You did the last loving thing you could for Nell, I know exactly how sad you must feel

Iam64 Sun 06-Feb-22 20:38:15

So sorry Sago, 16 is a grand age and her leaving of this world sounds as good as can be.
We said goodbye to our 12 year old labradoodle 18 months ago. All dogs are special but some bring so much joy and love they’re doubly missed . Look after yourself x

Deedaa Sun 06-Feb-22 20:40:15

We took my daughter's collie out for a last walk before the vet came. She couldn't walk very well but she enjoyed it. After the vet had gone she was laid out in front of the fire and the cat walked over and smacked her! A case of "I'm in charge now!"

Squiffy Sun 06-Feb-22 22:58:16

?

Charleygirl5 Sun 06-Feb-22 23:29:28

Sago so sorry but you did the best for her up to the very end. She will never be forgotten, she is in your hearts forever.

Curlywhirly Sun 06-Feb-22 23:37:06

Aw Sago such a lovely photo. You were with her to the end and she was very loved - what more could a dog ask for. Pets become a large part of the family, and I know you will miss her very much. ???

PurpleStar Mon 07-Feb-22 09:52:19

Sago,our pets are family aren't they.Sorry you had to let Nell go.When you know you've done everything you could for them,it's the kindest thing to do.Ive had to have 4 beloved pets PTS in the previous 4 years,all were great ages,2 cats had cancerous tumours,surgery etc.1 dog was blind,one eye removed and diabetic.I fed her sausages minutes before she went,she had been on a strict diet and hadn't been allowed them.My last little dog was a complex rescue,who trusted no one but me.She hated the vets (she had an autoimmune illness which brought her out in terrible sores) but she would look me directly in the eyes and comply with whatever had to be done.The day she was PTS,we were almost nose to nose with full eye contact as she went.That was the hardest goodbye ever for me,but I know by me being there,it helped her.I feel for all the pet owners who weren't allowed to be with their pets during Covid lockdowns.
Sending a hug to you Sago flowers