Gransnet forums

Pets

Grieving for our beautiful dog

(72 Posts)
lippyqueen Mon 26-Sep-22 10:57:23

Hello everyone, my DH and I lost our dog on 16th July. He was a good age for a big dog aged nearly 13 and he was a rescue dog German Shepherd cross Rottweiler. The most beautiful dog who was the centre of our lives. We are absolutely devastated and trying very hard to come to terms with the emptiness in the house etc. We had him “put to sleep” as he had some illness that came on very suddenly. The vet advised us of our options with regard to extensive tests etc to find out but at the end of the day we did not want to put him through that as even if we found out he had cancer or some other disease it may not have been treatable.. He came everywhere with us and was the most well behaved dog we ever had.
We bumped into a very insensitive neighbour at the weekend who has just returned from holiday and said “oh I expected to see you with a new puppy”. It really upset me that we could just replace Rosco just like that. She is a dog owner too! We cannot even think of another dog yet now, if ever. I thought some of you might be able to relate to these feelings and offer advice to help. Will we ever get used to the emptiness?

Georgesgran Sat 26-Nov-22 14:44:00

As someone who has been through this so many times, my motto is ‘that a day too soon is better than an hour too late’.
You must do what’s right for your pet and not for yourself.

DeeDe Sat 26-Nov-22 15:08:09

Thank you Both for your replies
I know your right I can’t write anymore just now, and sorry if I’ve gate crashed OP post
But yes I have to do what’s kindest for Barney
Hugs x

sazz1 Sat 26-Nov-22 22:05:44

My last dog was a rescue and the love of my life. I had him for 15 years and he was around 2yrs old when we had him. He had a lot of problems with being dog aggressive and unsafe with children, very frightened of the sweeping brush or mop and used to run shaking when I washed the floor. Wouldn't eat unless you stood next to him and had a heart problem. But we managed going out with a muzzle, heart medication, and didn't have any children at home. He took a month before he would sit next to us then he used to cuddle up to me on the sofa. Took me 2 years to get another dog - we have 2 now. I love them very much but not as much as him.
Take your time if you want another dog. It really is like loosing a family member. Hugs xxx

absent Sun 27-Nov-22 05:11:53

Our pets, whether dogs, cats, hamsters or even goldfish, are part of our family. We love them and they share our lives while we share theirs. Our children and grandchildren share their lives too. I cried when I was a child as my father reverently buried Silverlight my not gold goldfish in a Maltesers box in our garden. My father had tears in eyes too – for me, I suspect now, rather than for a fish. I have wept as I have said goodbye to beloved dogs and cats at the vets – and afterwards. I was about to say to "too many dogs and cats" but they were never too many and brought such joy to my life. Twice now I have said that the last time I said goodbye, I would have no more cats – and here I am with the most talkative – and extraordinarily well-behaved – feral cat in the world. One day, one of us will have to say goodbye to the other. I am not sure who will have the most to say.

Mom3 Sat 18-Mar-23 00:27:41

I don't know if anyone will see this as it's an older thread. I had posted here after we had our wonderful Lab put down. My heart aches now writing this. I still think of him as just being in the other room. We got him as an 8-week-old puppy and my husband took him to obedience training so he has felt the loss maybe even more than I have. I am starting to feel the need to get another dog. DH wants another Lab puppy. He just turned 80 and uses a cane because of a back problem so I worry about him falling. Any opinions on this?
When our previous dog died, I really didn't think I could love another dog as much, but I did. I still mourn the loss of my childhood dog plus a guinea pig.

SunshineSally Sat 18-Mar-23 00:42:40

Why not consider an older dog? Does it have to be a puppy?

SunshineSally Sat 18-Mar-23 00:46:06

Puppies are lovely - but they are hard work. If it were me I’d be looking at an older dog, one that would fit in with my lifestyle more than a puppy would. Just my thoughts, others may think differently. Good luck x

absent Sat 18-Mar-23 05:06:06

Our beloved pets are part of our family but their lives are much shorter than ours. I have wept over the many dogs and cats who have shared my life and still remember each one with love. I have always been there, stroking and loving, when euthanasia was the kindest – indeed, single – choice. One day, I hope my family will do the same thing for me.

FannyCornforth Sat 18-Mar-23 05:17:26

Mom3

I don't know if anyone will see this as it's an older thread. I had posted here after we had our wonderful Lab put down. My heart aches now writing this. I still think of him as just being in the other room. We got him as an 8-week-old puppy and my husband took him to obedience training so he has felt the loss maybe even more than I have. I am starting to feel the need to get another dog. DH wants another Lab puppy. He just turned 80 and uses a cane because of a back problem so I worry about him falling. Any opinions on this?
When our previous dog died, I really didn't think I could love another dog as much, but I did. I still mourn the loss of my childhood dog plus a guinea pig.

Hello Mom3
You’d get more replies if you started a new thread.
Most people will just read the opening post and comment on that.
My advice would be to get a rescue dog, one that doesn’t require much exercise.
My husband and I have both got health issues which mean that we can’t take our little dog for walks as often as we would like.
It really doesn’t bother her.
I definitely wouldn’t get a Labrador puppy, as it will need lots of exercise and training.
You need a dog which will slip easily into your lifestyle, if that makes sense.
I hope that I haven’t sounded too bossy!
Good luck with finding a new companion, I do know exactly how you feel. You have a dog shaped hole in your heart thanks

FannyCornforth Sat 18-Mar-23 05:19:19

I’ve just seen that SunshineSally and I are in agreement smile

nanna8 Sat 18-Mar-23 07:46:08

Our pets are very important to us and when they die it is heartbreaking. I still think of some of our past dogs and cats with sadness, especially the one who saved my daughter’s life. I only wish they lived a little bit longer. All ours have been ‘rescue’ animals but just by chance, really. I tend to fall in love with them when I look at them and I would bring them all home f I could! Marriage wouldn’t last ……

Whitewavemark2 Sat 18-Mar-23 07:55:17

They are with us for such a short time. My cairn is 13 years old and I must pay a visit to the vets next week to be told (I think) that he has heart failure. He has all the symptoms, so I am loving every single minute he is still with us and hopefully will still be for a while yet with the right medication.

This will be our last dog of a very long line of dogs as we are too old now to think of another.

Fleurpepper Sat 18-Mar-23 08:38:39

So sorry to hear Wwm2. Perhaps, after a while- you may consider adopting an older rescue or offer fostering for rescues.

Mom3 Sat 18-Mar-23 16:56:54

I appreciate all of your replies. Yes, I have thought that we should get a rescue. Our dog previous to the one we recently lost was a rescue.

dogsmother Sat 18-Mar-23 18:45:40

I’m feeling it too, lost my 15 year old Aussie terrier this week.
I have another 8: year old dog here however she was my heart dog. I’m saying no more. It hurts so much.
I probably agree with others though and suggest a rescue would be a great option.

Maya1 Sun 19-Mar-23 06:02:27

I think a rescue would be a wonderful option for you and your dh.
All of ours have been rescues and have been such joys.
So sorry dogsmother of the loss of your dog. We lost our Finn, a border collie 10 days ago. The hurt is terrible. We will not have another.

FannyCornforth Sun 19-Mar-23 06:07:08

Oh Maya sad
I’m so very, very sorry to hear about Finn. I know how much you adored him.
Sending you a massive hug thanks x

Jaberwok Sat 01-Apr-23 10:55:35

Oh I am sorry to hear this news. I've wept over so many dogs and cats during my 80 years so I really do feel for you. Our present little dog is at the moment causing us a deal of anxiety. She is a 7 year old Cocker Spaniel and on Thursday unfortunately during her morning walk, not only dislocated her elbow, (front left paw) but also broke a bone! Result. Amputation of her leg yesterday., Today, one very sad limping little dog, and two rather tearful owners. Vet post op appointment this afternoon, after that convalesance and hopefully all will be ok. Fingers crossed.

Juliet27 Sat 01-Apr-23 11:04:38

Oh Jaberwok, that’s such a shame. Awful thing to happen but at least we’ve seen on several of the vet programmes just how well dogs adapt on three legs. Hope she does soon.

MayBee70 Sat 01-Apr-23 11:12:52

Oh Jaberwok. I’m so sorry to hear this. Having said that, please don’t worry about your little dog being a tri paw. My friends rescue labrador is missing a front leg and I’ve never seen a dog move so fast. And I often see tri paw dogs on the beach and it’s only when you see them up close that you realise. Will she be having physio to help develop the muscles? They do recover and adapt surprisingly quickly. Do you know what caused the initial dislocation? Give her a hug from me and tell her she’s very brave x(oh and a hug for you, too x)

Jaberwok Sat 01-Apr-23 12:09:05

Oh thank you so much Juliet and MayBe. The vet seemed to think , and I agree, that she has compromised that joint at some stage as she has on three occasions, come running towards us with that paw hanging, but it almost immediately righted itself, if you see what I mean, so I always thought that she had probably just turned awkwardly as it didn't bother her,BUT, on reflection I think it was partially dislocating and going back in immediately. This time however it obviously completely dislocated breaking a bone at the same time. So I suppose, an accident waiting to happen!? I have felt that I should have kept a better eye, but spaniels are so lively and it's difficult to monitor them completely! Yes you're right, I'm sure she will manage ok on her three legs, but poor little maid,she does look sad! I've a friend with an arthritic Labrador who she takes for swimming therapy, so we may join them time come. On the bright side it might be quite fun!!