Gransnet forums

Pets

extreme dog breeding on Panorama right now.

(37 Posts)
Fleurpepper Mon 23-Jan-23 20:06:40

Panorama on BBC 1 right now.

Beyond cruel and sick.

Fleurpepper Mon 23-Jan-23 20:09:13

Somehow wrong title. Reported to Moderators to be changed. Apologies.

Should be

Extreme and cruel dog breeding-

Fleurpepper Mon 23-Jan-23 20:31:40

Thanks for changing title.

Did you watch it. really disgusting and seriously worrying.

sodapop Mon 23-Jan-23 20:50:29

I read about it happening in Scotland. A violent criminal is breeding them for the criminal fraternity, he was boasting about the hairless French bulldog he bred. This was apart from the bully breeds. How many other irresponsible and dangerous people are doing this.

Fleurpepper Mon 23-Jan-23 20:52:28

Shame you didn't watch the programme. Perhaps you can watch it on repeat.

Grandyma Mon 23-Jan-23 20:55:34

Very disturbing. That poor mother😢

Hetty58 Mon 23-Jan-23 21:00:21

What I saw on the news was enough for me. That poor little American bulldog type soul - with cropped ears and deformed legs - so bloody cruel. I'd happily crop the breeder's ears so they could see how they liked it.

tickingbird Mon 23-Jan-23 21:12:36

Absolutely despicable. The scum that do this have no morals and no thought for the pain and suffering inflicted on these dogs and the repercussions when the dog finally attacks a child. Our laws are pathetic.

ExperiencedNotOld Mon 23-Jan-23 22:02:33

Hetty58

What I saw on the news was enough for me. That poor little American bulldog type soul - with cropped ears and deformed legs - so bloody cruel. I'd happily crop the breeder's ears so they could see how they liked it.

That’s exactly how I reacted. I felt such pity for the poor dog, not only in how it was deformed but how it will probably have a life of misery, particularly being unloved.

Fleurpepper Mon 23-Jan-23 22:15:39

To be honest, as a dog lover- I think it should be put to sleep.

valdali Mon 23-Jan-23 22:28:34

Tightening up the loopholes that allow these breeders to use dogs at stud on an industrial scale without being registered is long overdue. The ear-cropping is horrendous it may have been included in the legislation 2006 about tail docking, but I was in small animal practice in the 80s & we never saw dogs with cropped ears - it went out of fashion in the early years of the 20th century.I did wonder who performs the C-sections these breeds - particularly if bred to be extra muscular- nearly routinely need.Natural delivery in bulldogs has always been uncommon.I really hope it's not the people who are cropping the ears.

MayBee70 Tue 24-Jan-23 01:21:53

I tend to get into arguments on Facebook with American ‘dog lovers’ that have dogs with cropped ears. They just find it acceptable. Look at Scooby Doo…

nanna8 Tue 24-Jan-23 03:55:52

Foul. Mind you, sheep get their tails cut off which I reckon is just as bad. A lot of those lambs faint, Ive seen them. Cruel.

Fleurpepper Tue 24-Jan-23 11:54:18

Available on u-tube now

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DH8HfmgjQf8

warning, not for the fainthearted

Fleurpepper Tue 24-Jan-23 11:59:50

nanna8

Foul. Mind you, sheep get their tails cut off which I reckon is just as bad. A lot of those lambs faint, Ive seen them. Cruel.

Please nanna, this is not comparable. And there are very strong health reasons for this. Most have tails docked in less cruel ways now anyhow.

Could we please stick to the OP's subject.

ExperiencedNotOld Tue 24-Jan-23 12:00:36

Sheep don’t get their tail cut off. A band is used to constrict the flow of blood and it falls off - something the local red kite, a carrion eater, know well.
Please see this link from the RSPCA.
www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwelfare/farm/sheep/keyissues

Doodledog Tue 24-Jan-23 12:34:42

I couldn't watch the programme, and won't pick it up on iPlayer, as I'd find it too upsetting.

My daughter has a Frenchie, who is very much loved, and a fun-loving happy little clown. I would be very sad if anything happened to him, but I don't think the breed should be allowed to continue as is.

Oscar (the dog) has had a number of operations already, and none of them are uncommon in Frenchies, which have breathing difficulties and other problems. Fortunately, my daughter can afford the very high insurance that paid for the ops, but not everyone can, and the dogs suffer. Even she says that she wouldn't have another one, much as she loves Oscar.

The trouble is that banning breeds never works. By definition the people breeding fighting dogs (which Frenchies are definitely not) are criminally inclined and not dog lovers. They don't care about the dogs' suffering and aren't afraid of the law. The same probably applies to people who buy them. ]

I was going to say that the Kennel Club, Crufts and similar organisations need to get on board, and amend their breed standards so that the dogs are bred differently, but then thought that the criminal fraternity are unlikely to show the dogs, and will have their own family trees that will be about fighting ability rather than appearance.

Fleurpepper Tue 24-Jan-23 12:50:50

Yes, fashion dogs are a real issue too. But not at all what this thread is about, and not at all the subject of Panorama yesterday. A friend's daugter also got a Frenchie for his cute factor. Nothing but health issues and that had to put him to sleep aged 4.

Again, thread is very specific, about extreme dog breeding for sheer brute strength and extreme brute looks, for all the wrong people.

In so many countries, all dogs have to be chipped, registered with national register with vet report, a fee paid to keep such a register to be paid every year, and those breeds banned. If reported, caught and destroyed.

Oldbat1 Tue 24-Jan-23 12:52:06

Those involved shouldn’t be call human. Disgraceful.

Fleurpepper Tue 24-Jan-23 12:58:04

Doodledog ''The trouble is that banning breeds never works. ''

why does it work in many countries? Why is it not possible in the UK?

Iam64 Tue 24-Jan-23 13:03:29

Ear clipping is illegal in England. Tails can only be docked by a vet if the dog is going to be worked. Working Spaniels the obvious example because they work through brush and those long fluffy tails pick up thorns etc thst can lead to infection

I’m live and let live but - I’d ban xl bully dogs. A trainer friend did 3 individual sessions with one at its home and her enclosed field recently. She advised the owners the dog was unsafe and unsuitable for their home with young children. She refused to continue working with it because of her risk assessment on her own safety .

Shinamae Tue 24-Jan-23 13:06:05

I couldn’t watch it,the same as I’ve never been able to watch the film War horse would find both just too upsetting …😓

ExDancer Tue 24-Jan-23 13:09:41

As a sheep farmer I can explain why sheep have their tails docked - its to prevent 'fly strike'.
Sheep fleeces can often get covered in faeces and long tails make this worse. If you take the trouble to Google 'fly strike' you will see sickening pictures of sheep being, almost literarily, eaten alive by the blow fly maggots that are laid in that faeces. If left untreated they die. (the sheep, not the maggots).
It will turn your stomach.
Why otherwise would you go to the trouble of docking lambs tails? Its not something you do for fun, its a welfare issue.

Smileless2012 Tue 24-Jan-23 13:10:06

I couldn't watch it.

ExDancer Tue 24-Jan-23 13:10:45

Sorry, that's off topic.