Gransnet forums

Pets

Being cross with your dog

(103 Posts)
MawtheMerrier Fri 17-Feb-23 15:26:38

Don’t laugh.
But it’s like telling a child off isn’t it?
I was tidying up in the garden when I looked in through the patio doors to see Rosie calmly gnawing her way through the corner of (fortunately the outer box) my SIL’s birthday present for March.
Big shout of BAD DOG plus a lot of stamping and a bit more “bad dogging” from me.
Don’t let anybody tell you dogs can’t look guilty. She knew it all right. I shut her out of the sitting room for a bit while I recomposed myself with a cuppa and she has just slunk in ears and tail down. Huh!
She’ll be fine the moment I give her a smile and a pat - but why am I the one left feeling sad
You know the old thing about “This is going to hurt me more than it hurts you?”
Well, that.

LilyB14 Fri 17-Feb-23 15:33:15

Sounds just like me! I then feel guilty and give mine a treat🤪

Fleurpepper Fri 17-Feb-23 15:56:56

Oh dear - butter wouldn't melt, hey ;)

But your 'bad dogging' really made me laugh ah!

Bea65 Fri 17-Feb-23 15:58:59

Aww Maw what a lovely dog and love her dog bed ..i need one of those smile

Smileless2012 Fri 17-Feb-23 15:59:29

It's when I end up apologising for to one of ours I've told off, that I realise who really has the upper paw hand.

Ali23 Fri 17-Feb-23 16:01:12

Oh yes! Mine has me wrapped around her little paws 🐾

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 17-Feb-23 16:04:06

Impossible Maw. She’s so beautiful. You’re making it up. It’s exactly the same here! You can’t be cross with them for long can you? They know just how to make you feel a complete heel.

Aveline Fri 17-Feb-23 16:05:08

When DSs dog came to stay with us while she was away I noticed that if I was ever cross with one of my children that poor dog would cower apologetically. She always thought she was in trouble. She never was. A lovely sweet natured corgi.

Callistemon21 Fri 17-Feb-23 16:11:40

Don’t let anybody tell you dogs can’t look guilty.

😁 I won't!

They know when they've been naughty.
Then they come and put a paw on your knee to say sorry

PinkCosmos Fri 17-Feb-23 16:17:32

Bea65

Aww Maw what a lovely dog and love her dog bed ..i need one of those smile

You can buy giant dog beds for adults now. They look very comfy

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-10803483/Introducing-Plufl-worlds-human-sized-dog-bed-designed-relieve-stress.html

Redhead56 Fri 17-Feb-23 16:38:56

Our dog has a habit of running across your feet she has knocked me over once. She most certainly gets told she is a naughty girl and ends up tail between her legs sulking in her bed!

Joseanne Fri 17-Feb-23 16:48:46

Aw!
she has just slunk in ears and tail down.
Ours slunks in with an embarrassed grin - no kidding!

Joseanne Fri 17-Feb-23 16:49:27

*slinks not slunks

MawtheMerrier Fri 17-Feb-23 18:35:20

Fleurpepper

Oh dear - butter wouldn't melt, hey ;)

But your 'bad dogging' really made me laugh ah!

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣but you know what I mean! blushblush

Fleurpepper Fri 17-Feb-23 18:45:21

LOL yes, but funny.

Our Princesse will be arriving on Sunday - let's hope she recovers quickly from all the trauma. She has never barked.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 17-Feb-23 19:05:52

Doesn’t she have to spend time in quarantine?

Norah Fri 17-Feb-23 19:10:41

We live cross with dogs, soon enough - cross with our own attitudes. grin Sweet, wild, too much energy, loving - says it all, really.

Fleurpepper Fri 17-Feb-23 19:15:07

Germanshepherdsmum

Doesn’t she have to spend time in quarantine?

No, she has had all her jabs and passport, and has had pre flight pet check. She is travelling with the person who found her, and with her own dog she knows well. The amazing Lady at the kennel has got her used to her cage for the last 3 weeks, so she does not stress.

I would never put a dog through quarantine.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 17-Feb-23 20:37:17

Why not adopt one of the vast numbers of dogs in kennels here? I would never subject a dog to such a journey. Just why?

Fleurpepper Fri 17-Feb-23 20:39:53

There are very good reasons why we are doing so. Not the subject of this thread, but I did explain in another thread.

Fleurpepper Fri 17-Feb-23 20:41:34

For info ''Princesse (Yata) was in a street group that were all shot- she managed to escape. When my friend found her, she was being stoned by children. She is like a very small Alsatian, with long legs and long 'hands' like a pianist, and sad eyes. I hope she will learn to 'smile' with us. She has never barked- I wonder if she will one day?

Callistemon21 Fri 17-Feb-23 20:57:25

😥

valdali Fri 17-Feb-23 20:59:21

I must have a very brazen dog - if I catch him doing something wrong & get cross,his tail goes 10 to the dozen & he laps it up. If I shout at him for getting in the pond,he leaps about like a porpoise & splashes twice as hard.He does occassionally look - not quite guilty but slightly worried - when he's chewed something really spectacular, but in general he seems to find making me cross a huge joke. He is still very young, & getting better all the time but I think he's always going to have a bit of attitude. Totally good-natured at the same time.

Iam64 Fri 17-Feb-23 21:04:09

My good little spaniel had a donut bed like Rosie’s till the bad Labrador puppy exploded it. He wasn’t left, all it took was me to leave him in the kitchen while I was in another room and he’d rip a dog bed to shreds. Nope he never looked guilty. I bought canvas indestructible beds and they’re still ok.

He doesn’t like being spoken to crossly but guilt doesn’t appear to be on his repertoire of feelings. He seems to believe he’s important

MawtheMerrier Fri 17-Feb-23 21:07:24

Will you post a pic of her when she arrives please Fleurpepper ?