Gransnet forums

Pets

Dog Lovers! Which is your fav breed ?

(217 Posts)
HeavenLeigh Sat 18-Mar-23 13:51:58

Ours will always be the beautiful German Shepard. Loyal. Loving. Protective, big bundle of fun! We have had many over the last 60 odd years. Always well trained! I do love the mini schnauzers although never owned one.

Georgesgran Sat 18-Mar-23 19:05:09

DH and I owned, worked and sometimes bred Spaniels - mostly Springers for most of our married life.
However, in 2015, at Crufts, I met my first Glen of Amaal terrier and I’ve been besotted since. Sadly, they are very rare and I feel too old to take on another dog on my own.

Georgesgran Sat 18-Mar-23 19:08:46

My beloved Ollie, who collapsed and died at age 11. It was very unexpected and he died whilst out on a walk, Poor DH had to carry him home.

Ali23 Sat 18-Mar-23 19:15:15

foxie48

I also think you fall in love with breed that you have. This is our third border terrier with his favourite toy. No-one has told him that he's quite a little dog and when he barks he sounds quite fierce. He's certainly no lap dog as he's only cuddly with me but I adore him.

Border terriers for me too! They are such great company and so intelligent . Ours used to sleep with her head on her favourite toy too.
Too old to play now. She likes to be covered in a blanket for sleep now.

Ali23 Sat 18-Mar-23 19:18:27

Here she is! She loved the snow!

Fleurpepper Sat 18-Mar-23 19:18:52

One of the huge advantages of rescues, is that they live much longer than bred dogs. Our first collie cross rescue we had for 17 years, and he was 2 to 3 when we found him. All others lived to be 17, and daughter's rescue dachshund, not a cross, to 16.

Joseanne Sat 18-Mar-23 19:47:36

Fleurpepper

One of the huge advantages of rescues, is that they live much longer than bred dogs. Our first collie cross rescue we had for 17 years, and he was 2 to 3 when we found him. All others lived to be 17, and daughter's rescue dachshund, not a cross, to 16.

Why come on here twice and make a pitch for longevity in rescue dogs over others when some people's dogs have recently passed away or are experiencing ill health? The thread is an invitation to discuss favourite breeds and their wonderful inherent characteristics, it's not a competition to discuss who lives the longest. Or am I being oversensitive?

Callistemon21 Sat 18-Mar-23 20:09:41

No.
I think our last dog would have had another 3 or 4 years (or more) but had an unfortunate accident when he was 12.
It was years ago but I could still weep when I think about him.

The only thing that consoles me was that he never became ill.

valdali Sat 18-Mar-23 20:12:23

Cocker spaniels ( not golden cockers though as I wouldn't want to risk the heartbreak of "cocker rage"). And black or chocolate labradors.German shepherds. Irish wolfhounds. Parson Russell terriers. Irish setters. Bassetts, Vislas. Cockerpoos. (sorry but how can I choose one?)
Most rescue dogs these days are "bred dogs" as fleurpepper calls them. Doesn't follow that people who pay for a pedigree puppy are less likely to give them up than someone with a mongrel puppy...

Redrobin51 Sat 18-Mar-23 20:19:20

I've always had Heinz 57 breeds, the last two have been rescues and I just love them. Must admit I have very fond spots for Collies, Labrador Retrievers and Schnauzers but I am a sucker for all dogs.

Deedaa Sat 18-Mar-23 20:22:37

We have had three wonderful Border Collies and they really are the best. I have always had a soft spot for Dachshunds though.

Redhead56 Sat 18-Mar-23 20:30:53

We usually had two mixed breed dogs but once we had a cavalier King Charles he was cute. My very favourite was a rescue tricolour Jack Russell he had attitude and loads of personality but was not trusted off the lead. I adored him and still miss him after nearly three years now we just have our girl a staff mix she’s lovely.

lixy Sat 18-Mar-23 20:38:35

Jack Russells are top dogs here, though can't have one any more due to allergies in the family.
If I could choose any dog it would be the huge golden retriever my uncle owned when I was quite small. He was a dark gold and very soft even though he was supposed to be a guard dog!

Grannybags Sat 18-Mar-23 20:57:07

Favourite breed for me has to be Airedale.

Mind you I love any terrier with a beard and eyebrows!

LucyLocket55 Sat 18-Mar-23 21:07:45

Flat coated Retrievers - happy, loyal, amiable and the most lovely dogs. Love them

GrannyRose15 Sat 18-Mar-23 21:15:17

LucyLocket55

Flat coated Retrievers - happy, loyal, amiable and the most lovely dogs. Love them

How lovely to hear that someone else loves my favourite dog.
Have had two of them. Would love another but one would be too big for our tiny, downsized house now so we have a fun loving, affectionate working cocker instead.

rascal Sat 18-Mar-23 21:28:57

Border Terriers are the best! Wonderful nature! Very loyal! Very friendly! grin

sodapop Sat 18-Mar-23 21:30:49

Just love Jack Russells with attitude and character Redhead56 they are so bossy.

Nightsky2 Sat 18-Mar-23 21:54:29

foxie48

I also think you fall in love with breed that you have. This is our third border terrier with his favourite toy. No-one has told him that he's quite a little dog and when he barks he sounds quite fierce. He's certainly no lap dog as he's only cuddly with me but I adore him.

The Border Terriers are the best. They are the most loyal intelligent little (big) dogs. We lost ours just before Christmas, he would have been 17 next month. It was a life well lived and I miss him every day. He was my little shadow.

WW2 ❤️

Goodbyetoallthat Sun 19-Mar-23 00:37:21

I love all the pictures. Our Bernese mountain dog has us all (including AC when they are home) exceptionally well trained smile.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 19-Mar-23 01:39:10

Here is Duncan, dozing in the sun. He had a better day I think.

Maya1 Sun 19-Mar-23 06:12:35

So sorry to hear your news wwm2, you must be feeling so sad. I know how your are feeling, our border collie has been poorly for sometime and 10 days ago l finally had to say goodbye to Finn.
So l would choose Border Collies, he was my best buddy who never failed to give me his unconditional love. I miss him so much.

BlueBalou Sun 19-Mar-23 06:26:22

All our dogs have been rescues, never considered a purebred or anything else.

NanaDana Sun 19-Mar-23 06:30:49

We had Labradors for years. Our last one was a "failed" guide dog, but only because she was far too friendly, wanted to be everyone's best pal, and as such was too easily distracted. She crossed the rainbow bridge some 10 years ago now at the ripe old age of 14, and we miss her so much, as with all our previous pooches. We then had no dog for 5 years, but finally relented and now have two Cavapoos.. Molly, age 4, and Murphy, age 15 months. Wouldn't be without them. Such affectionate, playful little pooches. As for "favourite", too hard to call, as we're just totally "dog daft" anyway.

loopyloo Sun 19-Mar-23 07:09:21

Can't quite believe it but have my first dog. Had cats before.
He's a rescue from Rspca in Ringwood. Jack Russell terrier Cross.
Probably 12.
JRs my favourite breed but they are noisy whereas my new friend hardly ever barks.
Know very little about his previous life. But yesterday he was very happy to get in the car and be taken to a pub for lunch.
Not safe to be left alone as he will eat almost anything

NanaDana Sun 19-Mar-23 07:15:08

No, you're not being oversensitive, Joseanne. The topic is quite clearly breed-related. One comment about the advantages of "hybrid vigour" is fine, but then to repeat it seems superfluous, and rather preachy, IMHO.