Gransnet forums

Pets

Dog Lovers! Which is your fav breed ?

(217 Posts)
HeavenLeigh Sat 18-Mar-23 13:51:58

Ours will always be the beautiful German Shepard. Loyal. Loving. Protective, big bundle of fun! We have had many over the last 60 odd years. Always well trained! I do love the mini schnauzers although never owned one.

Mosie Sat 25-Mar-23 23:30:05

Border collies for me. Intelligent witty, loving,playful. Bags of energy when young.

Mirren Tue 22-Aug-23 21:23:53

I'm with Sodapop on the JRT.
We've had a series for the last 35 + years . Sally , Sam ,Holly . Little Teddy who turned out to have a heart defect and died after 2 weeks. We now have Angus ,Bridie and Katie.
Jacks get a lot of bad press about being snappy and aggressive and not gòod with children. We have had 4 children, all their friends, now grandchildren and our dogs have been loving and patient playmates and friends to them all . We never let the children overdo anything with the dogs and they all learned to respect the dogs boundaries and understand what the dog was telling them.
Jacks are lively , extremely energetic and barky but huge fun.
We love these characterful little terriers so much.

Anniel Fri 25-Aug-23 00:15:15

Small Rescue Dogs

KG1241 Tue 05-Sep-23 16:13:48

Chocolate Labrador, mine is fast asleep next to me. Her favourite trick is pinching socks and tea towels! Daft as a brush but gorgeous x

AbsoluteGlow Thu 07-Sep-23 10:45:04

(Tibetan spaniel)
they are devoted with their loved ones they want love that's why you should not leave them, they are very charming and social.

Esmay Thu 07-Sep-23 11:37:51

Don't ask me to choose !
They are all lovely to me .

I was brought up with Sheep dogs , Boxers and Jack Russells .
I've had all sorts even a Great Dane .
I love Cocker Spaniels and Golden Retrievers .

I watched an episode of Hercule Poirot and now I'm keen on Wire Haired Terriers .

My friend has just got a Dachshund puppy and suddenly , I want one !
I'm even worse with horses .

Patsy70 Thu 07-Sep-23 12:06:25

We’ve only had rescues. Penny was a border collie cross and adorable, so very gentle and obedient. Dylan is a French breed, Bassett Fauve de Bretagne, who we rescued in Spain. He has not been easy to train, but after 5 years is such a lovely boy, sociable, affectionate and can be noisy! We love them all, no favourite breeds.

Georgesgran Thu 07-Sep-23 13:56:46

Always had working springer spaniels, but I’m slightly obsessed with the Glen of Imaal Terrier and Dandy Dinmonts.

ceejayjay Thu 23-Nov-23 07:08:37

Rescue is my favourite breed. So rewarding giving an animal a second chance at life <3

GranThomas Tue 19-Dec-23 07:32:56

Golden retrievers are my favorite. They’re adorable, and they keep you fit by working out with them every day. I only wish they were more compact, so I could take them along to errands.

Cossy Tue 19-Dec-23 09:47:09

Cocker spaniels, and I thought I’d never say this, but my daughter having three mini daschunds, they are really funny little dogs!

Dinahmo Thu 21-Dec-23 21:57:14

Georgesgran

Always had working springer spaniels, but I’m slightly obsessed with the Glen of Imaal Terrier and Dandy Dinmonts.

These 2 terrier breeds are on the list of endangered dogs I think because they're not popular breeds at the moment. French bulldogs appear to be favourite now, so much so that they are increasingly badly bred and their poor faces are getting flatter, causing more problems.

I've had terriers and sheepdog crosses plus one large teckel (large wire haired dachsund in French) which we rescued when he was about 10.

My parents had a Westie and a Scottie at the same time. I always wanted to go that bit larger and have a Newfoundland and a Pyrenean Mountain Dog. I do have a bit of Pyrenean in that my Ruby is a Pyrenean sheepdog.

Frenchgalinspain Tue 02-Jan-24 21:41:27

French Bulldogs ..

This is Edmund, my twin daughter Nathalia´s 2 year old French Bull ..

My other twin daughter Noelle has a beautiful Dalmation, Pierre.

Frenchgalinspain Wed 10-Jan-24 16:32:55

Dinahmo

Georgesgran

These 2 terrier breeds are on the list of endangered dogs I think because they're not popular breeds at the moment. French bulldogs appear to be favourite now, so much so that they are increasingly badly bred and their poor faces are getting flatter, causing more problems.

I've had terriers and sheepdog crosses plus one large teckel (large wire haired dachsund in French) which we rescued when he was about 10.

My parents had a Westie and a Scottie at the same time. I always wanted to go that bit larger and have a Newfoundland and a Pyrenean Mountain Dog. I do have a bit of Pyrenean in that my Ruby is a Pyrenean sheepdog.

It is very unfortunate that there are so many poorly bred dogs and cats too and it is a true tragedy.

As you can see one of my twin daughters has a French Bulldog, and he is adorable and also a true "Gentleman" & neat too ..

Poodlemom Thu 18-Jan-24 16:53:29

My username says it all. This is my gorgeous, loyal, loving boy. Hate that he's 12 in February. He's my everything - never want to say goodbuye to him.

rubysong Thu 18-Jan-24 19:20:26

English bull terrier for us. We have had two in our lives and they are kind and loving. We think they are beautiful.