Gransnet forums

Pets

What personality type is your cat?

(68 Posts)
GagaJo Sat 25-Mar-23 19:21:53

The “feline five” personality traits, according to earlier researchers, are neuroticism (insecure, shy and anxious), dominance (bullying and aggressive to other cats), impulsiveness (erratic and reckless behaviour), agreeableness (gentle and friendly towards humans) and extroversion.

I have a neurotic and an agreeable with a touch of neurotic.

In the past, I've had mainly agreeable cats. Although I did have one conundrum. He was an agreeable (nicknamed Tim nice but dim) but was the most natural hunter I've ever seen, quite contradicting the extrovert personality type. He adored having his armpits tickled. Didn't need a cat box in the car, just sat peacefully on the passenger seat.

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/mar/25/cats-hunt-feline-personalities

SillyNanny321 Tue 28-Mar-23 13:32:03

My little Tuxie girl is certainly an agreeable! She follows me everywhere & calls if she thinks I am missing. I go to feed the garden birds & she is in the window watching me. I then get lots of fuss when I come in. Her Mum a pure black was just the same. Still miss her.

Merryweather Tue 28-Mar-23 14:28:55

I miss my Norwegian forest cat. I need to have another. For now my boys keep me warm and entertained

Grannysmith Tue 28-Mar-23 14:36:05

DH & I passionate about our two adopted ginger cats - definitely our fur babies. Bertie is playful (& a bit dim) & his sister Milly is the most beautiful feline I have ever seen. They are both such good company & put a smile on my face when feeling down. So good to read this thread.

Caramme Tue 28-Mar-23 14:38:51

HeavenLeigh

My two are beautiful affectionate pussycats very loving and playful our world they are 6 years old next month

Wow.! What beautiful cats.

SueDonim Tue 28-Mar-23 14:57:21

I do love an upside down cat. Jilly!

I also love a black cat. And a tabby one. And tortoiseshell. And ginger ones. And and and! 😻

I’m looking at cat adoption sites now. I blame GN.

HeavenLeigh Tue 28-Mar-23 15:10:07

Thank you Caramme

Fleurpepper Tue 28-Mar-23 15:19:45

Our 3 legged ragdoll, we found totally wild with a smashed up leg, 5 years ago thinks he is a dog now. He is so loving and playful, and sometimes loves me so much he goes wild on his back and bites my arm with glee.

Since I was a young child, I've had so many cats- each and everyone so physically different, and totally different individuals- loved them all so much. All strays and rescues.

Fleurpepper Tue 28-Mar-23 15:34:29

Mind you, we kept a few pet hens and a mini cockerel for many years. I would have never thought so- a chicken is a chicken, right? Wrong! They all had very very distinct personalities.

CountryMouse22 Tue 28-Mar-23 19:13:05

A mardy little blighter fixated on food. Favourites: toast, chips and cereal.

SunnySusie Tue 28-Mar-23 20:29:11

Figgy is definitely neurotic, a Tortie with Tortitude. Despite many attempts she totally refuses to sit on any laps unless you happen to be sitting outside and its cold. Hates being picked up, doesnt tolerate cuddles of any kind and expects her humans to toe the line. If she is in the mood she loves being stroked and purrs happily, but if not you get a warning nip or two. If she wants food she will come and find you, yowl and run back and forward to her dish. If you feed her and she doesnt like the food she will stalk off with an offended look and turn her back on you. We love her to bits, but we know our place!

Jennyluck Tue 28-Mar-23 22:27:08

We describe our cat Oscar as a psychopath/predator. He constantly hunts, bringing both dead and alive mice in the house. If the mice are alive I catch them and take them back outside.
He was never our cat, but decided he wanted to live with us.

Kartush Wed 29-Mar-23 06:39:28

when we did have a cat she would have fit into the hellspawn catagory. She lived most of her life on the roof, refusing to come down, my husband ended up actually making a platform on a long stick so he could feed her on the roof. We called her roof cat.
After many years she finally decided to come down and took up residence on his computer desk where she bit and clawed anyone who came within paw distance.(except my husband) about then we changed her name to computer cat

CBBL Wed 29-Mar-23 07:31:18

I have three cats, one Neurotic (Jack), one Agreeable (Bella) and one Impulsive (TJ).
All are rescues from the streets of Romania. All different and all very lovable!
I have had many cats over the years, and wouldn't be without one!

GagaJo Wed 29-Mar-23 08:11:02

Little miss agreeable slept with me last night and is having a cuddle now while I drink my tea. Such a sweetheart.

BladeAnnie Wed 29-Mar-23 08:18:05

He's nothing short of being a Lord!!

Sparklefizz Wed 29-Mar-23 09:43:43

These kitty photos are just adorable, and I look at this thread every morning. Please keep the photos coming.

LadyGracie Wed 29-Mar-23 09:50:27

A bitey one!