Gransnet forums

Product tests and surveys

Please note: This topic is for your comments and feedback on Product Tests and Surveys being run by Gransnet. It is not the place to post (or ask for) comments on other products or to post your own surveys. If you do this, your comments may be deleted. If you'd like to run your own product test or survey, please email [email protected]. If you are an entrepreneur or start-up and would like to ask for some feedback, please visit our media requests topic here

Do you have a favourite grandchild? Take a survey on favouritism - £100 voucher to be won NOW CLOSED

(116 Posts)
JustineBGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 09-Mar-17 11:25:29

We at GNHQ would like to find out a bit more about what GNers think about favouritism, and whether members have any favourites among their own grandchildren. Obviously this will be a sensitive issue for some - please rest assured that your answers will be anonymised and we won't trace individual answers back to individual GNers. All GNers who complete this survey will be entered into a prize draw to win a £100 voucher from a store of their choice.

This survey is open to all UK GNers who are grandparents.

Click here to complete the survey.

Thanks and good luck!

GNHQ

kittylester Sun 12-Mar-17 09:03:57

I agree Nfk. grin

elfies Tue 14-Mar-17 17:34:25

My mum could never love people equally and always ran folks down to each other,when she decided to favour one person in particular ....even grandchildren .
There was nothing harder than having to explain to our daughter than Gran wasn't being nasty she just took it in turns to think different people were the best.

Regalo Tue 14-Mar-17 18:04:54

Very interesting thread. I absolutely adore my six grandchildren but am particularly close to my only grandaughter. This doesn't make her my favourite but it is lovely to have such a close relationship with a three year old. Perhaps it is because she is the only girl...I don't know. But all six are all treated equally...particularly giving them the time for play and talk and love.

Treebee Tue 14-Mar-17 19:17:06

I don't have a favourite and even if I did I wouldn't admit it, even to myself. Each person is individual and precious in their own way.
My mother told my sister and I that my sister was her favourite when I was about 12. She then added that I was Dad's favourite, thinking, I suppose, that this would make it alright.
I've never got over it.

BlueBelle Fri 17-Mar-17 07:15:50

I have seven grandkids I treat them all the same but two live near me the others are overseas and I don't see very much of them so it's nothing to do with favouritism but the geography and emotional closeness that makes it different ..... but they all get exactly the same spent on them for birthdays, christmas, and when they are with me however the other five all have other granny and grandads, the ones that live near me have no one but me and their mum ... the two that live in NZ have their other Nanny and grandad around the corner from them so I m guessing that Nanny and grandad are their favourites simply by closeness

Favouritism is often perceived

brileo Fri 17-Mar-17 09:27:36

Sorry NfkDumpling, mine are the most superior - sorry - 1st Grandchild is favourite young man, GD is favourite girl, and youngest is favourite baby boy - even though he is now 9.
Love them all to bits

NfkDumpling Fri 17-Mar-17 12:45:22

You're entitled to your opinion brileo, (but I know different!). [smug]

brileo Fri 17-Mar-17 18:01:25

LOL

Maggiemaybe Sat 18-Mar-17 09:30:47

I honestly can't imagine how anyone can look at a grandchild and love him or her less than another. I fell in love at first sight with each of mine, and just couldn't love them more.

quizqueen Sat 18-Mar-17 10:06:01

I was disappointed that there was nowhere at the end of the survey to post a comment. I have a 5 year old granddaughter whose behaviour can be quite challenging and also a 6 month old baby granddaughter who is delightful in every way. Human nature as it is, how is not possible to prefer the baby at the moment. However, when she is the same age as the elder one is now she may indeed display the same behaviour and the elder may have completely changed and be delightful!! Having a favourite at any particular time is one thing, showing it is another. I would always treat them equally.

grandMattie Sat 18-Mar-17 10:08:45

elfies, my parents were exactly the same. Their GS from D sister 2 was more than perfect. [in fact he was and still is a little sh*t] And they always ran my children and me down in front of us!!! Didn't do much to my already fragile self-esteem. What was interesting, is that my aunts did the same with my mother and Mother used to complain bitterlyI do have a favourite DGS, but his DM was terribly ill when he was born and he stayedHe comes almost every weekend to stay with us and his DF. He counts as an "almost" DC.
the DGDs were born far away, their DF doesn't much like me and my DD has rather strained relations with me. We see very little of the DGDs [three times a year at best], even Skyping has to be planned like a military operation. I try to keep in touch by writing and sending little parcels.
How can the relationship be the same between GCs?

Silverlining47 Sat 18-Mar-17 10:15:20

I have 2 GC who are brother and sister. Both are adorable and equally adored. But the little boy has always been very cuddly and affectionate which is lovely. And the little GD (the firstborn) has always been very independant. Both get equal love and attention but one of them gives and therefore receives more cuddles! They are still young so this might change by the time they are teenagers!

Craftycat Sat 18-Mar-17 10:24:48

I admit I find the boys easy & the girls difficult. All 4 of the boy GC are lovely & loving & easy to handle. One of the girls is a total nightmare & the other is showing traits of going the same way- not siblings either.The difficult one demands attention at all times (not just with me but parents too)& is manipulative & disobedient.If she is not the centre of attention she is very hard work. I love her to bits but I don't LIKE her that much if that makes sense. She has been difficult from about 6months old when the tantrums started. Her brothers are so laid back they are vertical!
Her younger cousin was a lovely baby & toddler but since starting school has begun to develop the same 'look at me & only me' attitude. She also has 2 brothers who are both a bit more volatile than their cousins.
I suspect as I only had boys I find girls difficult- I do love them all - really but I find the girls much harder to handle.

LadyGaGa Sat 18-Mar-17 10:38:56

I have one DGD who I love dearly, and will most definitely not have favourites if I am lucky enough to have any more. I also have 5 step grandchildren, and while I love them all I do sneakily have a fave. I don't think this would happen with my own though, which is interesting. But of course I will never confess!

Caro1954 Sat 18-Mar-17 11:17:09

I have one of each so I have a favourite GD and a favourite GS! They are completely different and very alike so no point trying to compare. Anyway I'm smug in the knowledge that they are the best GC ever!! Funnily enough my MiL though exactly the same about hers and so do some of you! ?

goose1964 Sat 18-Mar-17 15:13:28

I can't say I have a favourite grandchild, but like my own children there are occasions when I's rather be with one rather than the others ans it depends on what I'm doing at the time

ValC Sat 18-Mar-17 16:33:17

I wouldn't admit to having favourites, but If I was really pushed I would say my eldest granddaughter (I have 4). Because she was the first, and I looked after her 3 days a week when her mum went back to work, everything was being done for the first time and as such seemed that much more special. When the second one came along it was never the same really, although we did exactly the same things we did before it wasn't on a 1-1 basis any more, and of course that little bit harder. When eventually I was minding 3 of them we didn't seem to have the time to do all the things we did before because it took so long to even get ready to get out of the house. My 4th granddaughter was adopted, and although I have known her from a baby I only spent odd times with her because she lived too far away. Recently however we have been on lots of lovely holidays together . and I take them to Wales for a week every year which they really enjoy. All are treated in exactly the same way, never giving more to one than the other and we all have great memories of the things we have done.

harrigran Sat 18-Mar-17 17:17:53

No favourite, they are both beautiful and have very different temperaments. My heart and arms are big enough to hold both of them.

Blinko Sat 18-Mar-17 17:46:53

I have three favourite grandchildren. All very different but equally charming in their own ways. I feel very lucky. But I guess I may not be the only one smile

Shinyredcar Sat 18-Mar-17 19:20:22

I am a step-grandmother, like many others. I have no contact with one of the families, (their choice.) One of my late DH's DDs has two GC and they are lovely — thoroughly grown up, and we get on well. I confess that when my only DD had my only GC, that relationship surprised me by being so much more intense.

My closest friend has five GC, four adopted from one family, and one the (surprise) child of the DS. She tries to treat them the same but says she can't help the relationship being different. The children themselves treat her in a different way. She tries not to let the adopted children feel that the new arrival is somehow more special.

The survey could have included questions about this, because it does seem to affect the relationship, however hard we try not to let it.

creativeness Sat 18-Mar-17 19:55:47

I have four various ages from 20's down& all lovely & wonderful with their own qualities ?

cavaliermum Sat 18-Mar-17 23:02:50

Of course we all have favourites
My favourite daughter has given me my favourite grandson....

SusieB50 Tue 21-Mar-17 11:20:46

Each one of my four are special and are favourites when I am with them . I try to have a time when I can be with each one separately to give them my full attention ,I do notice the 6 year old twins particularly enjoy this .

nettyandmasey Fri 24-Mar-17 14:27:46

Mine are all my favourite, for their own individual personalities.
My first a grandson who is four, when you discover the completely different love you have with a grandchild.He was born with a cleft lip so had surgery at four months old. He is a real nanny's boy. My first granddaughter ,born to my other daughter who was born at 32 weeks,at 2lb 11 1/2 oz.for her fight and determination. finally my second granddaughter who took a while to like other people apart from mummy and daddy.Bizarely started to love when she was ill when you think she would prefermummy. now the three of them squish me in a nanny sandwich.

annamaria02 Tue 28-Mar-17 06:48:15

I only have one grandson and he is20 weeks. So I am a new grandma. I do not know if I would have a favourite but if I do I will not let it be known to anyone..even my husband