Gransnet forums

Product tests and surveys

Please note: This topic is for your comments and feedback on Product Tests and Surveys being run by Gransnet. It is not the place to post (or ask for) comments on other products or to post your own surveys. If you do this, your comments may be deleted. If you'd like to run your own product test or survey, please email [email protected]. If you are an entrepreneur or start-up and would like to ask for some feedback, please visit our media requests topic here

GNer aged 50 or over? Take our survey - £100 voucher to be won

(39 Posts)
EmmaGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 22-Aug-18 14:55:06

We'd like to find out more about marketing to the over 50s - and in particular, how you feel about and engage with advertising. We want to hear your concerns (if any) and any solutions around these, so we can take your concerns to the marketing community and call for improvements.

This survey is open to all UK Gransnet and Mumsnet users aged 50 or over.

Everyone who completes the survey will be entered into a prize to win a £100 voucher of their choice (from a list).

Click here to take the survey.

Thanks and good luck!

GNHQ & MNHQ

Terms and Conditions apply

chris8888 Fri 07-Sep-18 15:28:16

No junk mail adverts for a start, no chairs that help you stand up or stairlifts please. When we do need them we will no doubt be much older than over 50.

No silly assumptions that we are already retired, or have endless time on our hands.

jmk4646 Mon 10-Sep-18 11:34:48

send a clear message to say what you are advertising ,half the time I am left wondering what has just been adverltised

vivianallman Mon 10-Sep-18 23:07:12

the adverts I hate to see are the ones about funerals, they never seem to make sense.. why would you tell your daughter at her baby shower all about your funeral plans.. not the right time or place methinks... most adverts based on funerals and life cover seem to be the same... depressing for the family they are telling... not a fan

tiddles12 Tue 11-Sep-18 18:23:19

I hate the targeted marketing to the over 55s for disability scooters and hearing aids!

Caledonai14 Tue 11-Sep-18 18:53:43

I agree with all of the above and will attempt the survey, but suspect I will feel the same as many other commentators.

Caledonai14 Tue 11-Sep-18 19:12:32

Oh dear.

The opinions of the "person making the highest contribution in this house" are likely to be radically different from mine, especially on the spending of disposable income and on filling in surveys requiring this amount of personal information.

Not Gransnet's fault, but I couldn't do it. I found the comments section (above) very interesting, though and agree with most of what's there.

Horatia Thu 13-Sep-18 16:13:30

The patronising tone used in many adverts with lisping childlike voices are a big switch off along with bossy "buy this right now voices". I feel adverts mostly come over just too phoney. They should look for a straightforward honest approach and cut all those funeral adverts right down. Who really wants to watch them or even jump for joy at the chance of a lump sum payout once they are dead and gone.

kathyd Mon 17-Sep-18 13:52:23

I hate the noisy ones which shout and the ones with gyrating pop song singers. Also, the ones which put down another product such as the one which says they are better than another secondhand car company. Can't remember who they are.
I sometimes remember the visual or audio of the advert but invariably have no idea what it's for.
For example, I quite like the 'Right, said Fred' take off but when my friend asked me who it is for, I couldn't tell her!

Harris27 Tue 18-Sep-18 17:44:51

Treat us like individuals not imbeciles!!!

Corkie91 Wed 19-Sep-18 09:13:21

Most ads pass me by as they are so boring, whenever I can I fast forward through ads. The ones that catch my eye are amusing, or funny.

omega1 Wed 19-Sep-18 11:41:17

I get fed up with being told how I can look younger all the time. The anti-ageing creams, shampoos, how to dress younger, how to be active all the time doing anything and everything. I just want to be myself, look the age I am and do whatever I fancy doing whether its sitting reading a book or going for a walk round the park. I don't wan to be told what I should look like, what I should be doing. I just want to be myself.

abbey Wed 19-Sep-18 14:04:17

I agree with much of what has been said . However, one other thing that I have noticed in adverts recently is how ever so slightly off ( lewd, crude, the ugh! too much feeling they give). For example, the tena ads where she has a momentary picture of a bottom stuck in the air as she rides a bike, or the one who has an oops moment on a trampoline - and none of them genuinely are old enough to have the oops moment!

Then there is the Quick Quid ad where the boy comes out complaining the boiler has broken down and his mum says " OK you will have to smell today" - ugh! Haven't they heard of boiling a kettle and washing in the sink?

A lot of ads are no longer funny or the humour is cruel. Its almost as if those who do marketing have no sense of humour.

As for the equity release, life insurance and funeral plan ads, don't get me started.

I am tending to switch off with adverts these days. They just miss the mark with me. Even things I buy like cars.
I get myself a nice little car every three years or so ( OK I am extravagant but isn't that what the manufacturers want?) . I usually get a Mazda but its in spite of the advert rather than because of it.

I used to get the Renault Clio ( and I loved the papa and Nicole ads - I tolerated the 3 cm bigger suggestive ones but now????? . They wont sell me a Renault that way.

I would love a new kitchen but it wont be a Wren - not after the abiding image of the bloke with the longest of beards singing some soppy song about not wanting to let go of the cabinets to me - he can keep them.

Then there is the new Tesco advert with that horrible ( Northern - Gordie?? accent telling me how I would like taggie in my bellie! Oh, give me strength. Turns me off ( I don't like pasta anyway).

Same goes for many adverts.

I am finding it difficult to think of any I actually like anymore.

Nansypansy Mon 24-Sep-18 08:34:52

I can’t stand adverts. End of. I record itv programmes in preference to bbc ones so I can whizz through the adverts. There is nothing I would buy unless I wanted or needed something regardless of whether it was advertised. The ads on words with friends are mega annoying too, especially when you can’t ‘x’ them off.