Gransnet forums

Relationships

Live webchat with sex & relationships expert Suzi Godson - today 10.30-11.30am

(103 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 19-Jan-12 16:57:29

We are delighted that Suzi Godson will be joining us for a live webchat to answer your questions about sex.

How is it affected by the menopause? How can you keep things fresh in long-term relationships? Does (or indeed should) sexual frequency tail off as we get older? What kind of things can we do to keep our sexual relationships going? How do ageing, stress and changing body image affect our sex lives?

Suzi has the answer to all these and more so add your questions for her here.

About Suzi: sex and relationships expert for The Times, her Saturday Sex Counsel columns have recently been published as a book and she is also the author of the The Body Bible, and the award-winning The Sex Book which has now been translated into fifteen languages. For the last year she has been editing www.moresexdaily.com, a free resource which aims to help couples sustain sex in long-term relationships.

MaggieP Thu 19-Jan-12 17:42:06

That will be a good web chat. I read Suzi's articles in The Times, always good value!

petallus Thu 19-Jan-12 18:30:30

She might have a few questions she wants to ask us grin

Annobel Thu 19-Jan-12 19:05:54

Just what I was thinking, petallus. Judging by certain threads on these forums, there seems to be a wealth of experience and expertise. Do you think we could form a co-operative of 'Agony Grans'?

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 19-Jan-12 21:21:06

Annobel - loving that idea. The wisdom of grans!

em Thu 19-Jan-12 21:23:05

Don't you think we already have that Annobel (though not in the form of a co-op.)

Carol Thu 19-Jan-12 21:35:13

Yes, Agony Grans talk quite a bit of sense, don't we?

petallus Thu 19-Jan-12 23:05:44

Yes, Agony Grans: like it smile

Anne58 Fri 20-Jan-12 20:01:20

This is one that I really have some questions for, but will be working on that day (as indeed I am working 9-5 every week day!)

ladybird9 Sat 21-Jan-12 10:13:43

Hopefully I will remember to log on to join in.
Any conversation on most topics is of interest as the world is changing so.
see you then ..................

Maniac Sat 21-Jan-12 15:32:33

Funny how things go in cycles.In 2004 there was a spate of media articles/TV programmes on Sex over 60.Saga mag had a 3page spread,Esther Rantzen did a TV series,Katherine Whitehorn on Woman's Hour and Age Concern published 'Intimate Relations' a guide to sex in later life.
How do I know this? -because I researched the subject in preparation for co-leading a workshop option at a large gathering of older women.We amassed books and info plus vibrators,lubricants etc and approx 24 women(aged 60-90) in small gps of 3/4 and the main group shared and discussed animatedly for nearly 2 hours. It was voted a success and repeated the next year at another location with different leaders.
There is an even greater wealth of advice and info available now and I'm sure many GN members could contribute.

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Sun 22-Jan-12 10:26:27

phoenix, don't forget you can always post questions in advance...

JessM Sun 22-Jan-12 10:42:41

You going to put up a profile maniac I am intrigued to know the arena in which the event was conducted.

Carol Sun 22-Jan-12 11:02:11

Sounds fascinating maniac. I'd be interested to know more about the workshops - where did you get all your partipants from?

Maniac Sun 22-Jan-12 15:15:30

The event was at the Annual gathering of 'Growing Old Disgracefully' network.The participants were all members.We have a website -but maybe that is 'advertising'.
I still have the book list ,notes etc.from that workshop.
In 2010 I was asked to participate in a research project for a woman lecturer at Manchester Uni who was preparing a PhD
on 'sexuality and ageing'.I must contact her and ask if it has been completed.

Carol Sun 22-Jan-12 16:09:37

I've looked at the G.O.D. website before - they have a branch in Manchester, but I prefer Gransnet in my sitting room. It would be interesting to know the outcome of the research - was it published and is it on the Internet? Perhaps she hasn't completed her PhD yet - they do seem to linger on.

fatfairy Mon 23-Jan-12 12:53:33

Just looked at the Growing Old Disgracefully site - which I'd never heard of before, although g.o.d has long been an ambition of mine. (I've tried being good, and it's no fun at all). So thank you to Maniac for mentioning it. Trouble is, there doesn't seem to be a group anywhere near me ...

jeni Mon 23-Jan-12 13:42:26

Same here!

Maniac Tue 24-Jan-12 10:33:01

Sorry about that jeni and fatfairy.We used to have a gp in the Bristol area in fact we organised the annual gathering (in Bath) in 2004.We do have a 'Cybergoddies' gp who communicate online.Sadly since I joined in 1997 several local members have died,moved or have health/mobility problems.
We still keep in touch, meet occasionally and keep in touch by phone/email

jil Wed 25-Jan-12 11:00:47

Hello Suzi.

Can you please explain tantric sex to me. I have thought this sounded interesting ever since Sting (sigh) first mentioned it some years ago, but have been unable to get my head round it.

Can you please explain it in very simple terms so that my husband can understand.

I believe you can do it for hours. All day even. smile

Thank you.

jil ♥

jil Wed 25-Jan-12 11:01:25

I have posted that question at the request of OldGreyMare.

smile

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 25-Jan-12 11:11:24

Hello all

Just to let you know that the webchat has changed time slightly - will now run 10.30-11.30am.

Do add your questions in advance and/or join us at the new time - we are really looking forward to it

jil Wed 25-Jan-12 11:31:32

bump smile

jeni Wed 25-Jan-12 11:43:39

jili just googled it. Sounds fun but my arthritis and the lack of a partner (which seems to be neccessary) will preclude me from partaking!grin

Jacey Wed 25-Jan-12 20:51:48

thanks Maniac ...have been on the web site ...unfortunately there is nothing in my area either. ..but will go back to the site to check out the 'cyber' links.