Gransnet forums

Relationships

Letting off steam...

(52 Posts)
Tegan Tue 21-Jan-14 14:11:25

Feeling a tad annoyed. Last week the S.O. said we should go out for the day on Monday. I said the event he'd chosen wasn't worth going to [it was actually cancelled yesterday anyway] but there was somewhere we could go to on Tuesday. He said he was seeing his son that day so I said that was fine; I'd only suggested it because I felt he'd wanted a day out. I then said at the weekend that I'd got my grandson on Tuesday afternoon and he said 'but that means we can't go out' and I said 'but you've got your son anyway?' [he'd cancelled it but hadn't told me he had]. I then said 'don't you dare pull that face on me [he denied that he had, but he had] because I have never once complained if any sudden family problem he had had stopped us doing anything; imo our families come first'. I thought I'd got the message across, but then, yesterday he told me to tell my daughter that 'in future she is to give us more notice of any childcaer she needed' shock. I pointed out that I hadn't been asked but that I had offered in case her husband got stuck in traffic on his way back from work [he'd booked time off to look after the children but we're surrounded by roadworks in every direction here at the moment]. If I'd passed his 'message' on to my daughter that would have been the nail in the coffin of their relationship, which is somewhat rocky at times. I now sense an atmosphere still. Now I've retired he seems to be wanting more of my time and our weekends together are spreading into the week. I have a house to maintain and I'm only just getting on top of all of the jobs that mounted up when I was working [he can't do do it yourself']. It's not the first time he's made me feel awkward in my own home. When I first knew him he came round one Friday night [for the weekend]and I went to a friends for a cup of tea. I stayed later than planned and he was sulking when I got home; I said he was making me feel uncomfortable in my own house. He's really lovely in other ways, but I feel my house is getting to be a battleground. It's our family home. Sorry about that; it was let rip on here or do it for real [he's just turned up to walk the dog].

KatyK Sun 04-May-14 14:09:43

.Thats very bad jane. I think they assume our lives are over. Oh well it may happen to them one day.