Gransnet forums

Relationships

Widowhood.

(508 Posts)
Falconbird Sat 27-Dec-14 11:58:57

This is my third Christmas without my husband and I was really thrown by the fact that I missed him much more than in previous years. I think the initial shock of his sudden passing is wearing off. I have three sons and three lovely grandchildren - but without "my bloke" it seemed very very empty and lonely this year.

sad

durhamjen Thu 18-Jun-15 22:22:59

My grandson's and youngest granddaughter's cat was run over a few weeks ago.
My grandson says every day that Misty will be happy with grandad, won't she? Hope that grandad likes cats now; he never did before!

bikergran Fri 19-Jun-15 12:56:52

ohh lol durhamjen if only we had minds like children...smile

durhamjen Fri 19-Jun-15 21:17:43

But then I would not be sitting here with tears rolling down my face having listened to Willie Nelson singing You were always on my mind.

nannieroz111 Fri 19-Jun-15 21:31:27

If only there was a switch we widows could flick when it all gets just a bit too much sad

BlueSky Sat 20-Jun-15 00:03:40

We are aware that in marriage one or the other will sadly die first. We know this from day one but rarely dwell on it. When it happens it's a big shock whether you have been together for 5 or 50 years. Children and grandchildren help but they are not your partner, eventually you learn to live with it, but it is hard, so very hard...

Falconbird Sat 20-Jun-15 07:18:42

Ah durhamjen - the song that always makes me cry is "Now I'm a believer" and "The way we were." flowers for all widows.

bikergran Sat 20-Jun-15 10:42:33

Bluesky that is so very true, my dh was 20 yrs older than me, so yes it was inevitable that he would most likely go first, you would think I had enough yrs to prepare for it wouldn't you! but like you say you try not to dwell on it, even when he had his heart attacks and by pass surgery I never dwelt on it a I was always positive. But! when it did happen and it was not sudden as he had deteriated over the yrs, but when it did, it happen ,it was like someone had ripped you open and tore this big chunk of your heart away, like that jigsaw piece that you have lost forever, you keep searching for it over and over again but you can never find it.

Bluesky can I ask how long it is for you?

Durhamjen I cannot listen to much music yet, I did make myself go line dancing again the other night, but none of the music they play reminds me of anything so I am "safe" there. smile