Gransnet forums

Relationships

Have no idea what more we can do

(88 Posts)
NellyBu Wed 03-Jun-15 15:42:03

I am new and didn't know where to turn.

I have three sons, the oldest son is married and he lives quiet far away. We usually see him a few times a year, sometimes his wife will come and see us as well. This particular daughter in law is shy but overall I believe we get on ok.

My second son lives about an hour away. We have always been quite close and he is always calling and coming to visit. We don't often have to arrange to see him as he often makes the plans himself. He is not married but he has been with his current girlfriend over a year now. She is lovely and I get on very well with her. She will also often contact us herself and seems to genuinely enjoy spending time with us. She has very good family values.

My youngest son lives the closest to us, he is married and his wife recently had a baby. My first and only grandchild. I have always been pretty close to my youngest child. I don't hear from him as often as I do my second and we often have to make the initiative to invite him over but overall it's rare we would go more than a month without some kind of contact with him.

The problem is my youngest sons wife. On the surface I would say we get on well. She is a very nice and polite girl. She is shy (not as shy as my other daughter in law) and often keeps herself to herself. I have tried to get to know her, to find some common ground but it is hard. My oldest sons wife is very into fashion and beauty so we can bond over that. My second sons girlfriend is very easy to talk to, and she is quiet happy to sit there with us over a bottle of wine and some food for hours. My youngest sons wife however I struggle.

She is very resistant to talk about herself. I have had mixed results talking about her family or her work. She is polite and will listen if I talk about myself. We don't really share any common interests. In fact whenever I do try to talk to her it always feels like she is waiting for a polite moment to leave the conversation.

She is not as bad with other members of our family but overall you can tell that she doesn't enjoy getting together with us and after an hour or so she is ready to leave. My son says that she finds social situations difficult and doesn't enjoy them. I find this odd, how can you not like spending time with people? My son says her family rarely have huge get togethers. He says she finds the number of get togethers we have overwhelming.

I know however her problems with me run deeper than just being shy and socially awkward. I first noticed a change in her when they were planning their wedding. I tried to help them out as much as I could, from my perspective it looked like they were struggling. Her parents didn't seem to be helping at all, so I took it upon myself to help them out. Eventually it got harder to get an answer from her, when I questioned my son he said she felt that I was taking over. He said that she feels like this is my wedding and that she isn't even sure if she wants to show up. I was shocked and upset. I was only trying to help and if she didn't like something then why didn't she just say?

On the day of the wedding my son was very nervous that she wouldn't turn up. She was still angry at my involvement and by this point, apparently, so was her family. In the end she did turn up and it was a wonderful day. She seemed to enjoy herself, and although she seemed to be actively avoiding me I assumed that she would now appreciate my help. I was wrong because after the wedding I started seeing less of her. I asked my son about this and apparently she was still angry about the wedding and she blames me for ruining her day. She feels like she got the wedding I always dreamed of. They got married in 2010 and as far as I am aware she is still pissed off about the wedding.

A few years ago my son and daughter in law were having a few financial problems and they had to move out of their home. They had nowhere else to go so they decided to move in with us. I saw this as my chance to finally get to know her. I wanted her to feel comfortable and welcomed into our home. I told them that all we expected was rent. We would take care of all the household shopping, cooking, cleaning, and laundry. As long as they tidied up after themselves and paid their rent on time they didn't have to worry about anything else. This didn't go down well with her, apparently, she insisted that she at least did their laundry.

It seemed silly to me, if I was already regularly doing my own laundry that she would then do her own but to keep the peace I agreed. The laundry soon became a bit of a battle, as I predicted we often wanted the washing machine at the same time. She would often throw my clothes on the side and then put her own washing in. I also like to hang my clothes outside. We don't have much room to hang washing inside, plus I feel they dry better outside. My daughter in law seemed to take offence to this and insisted on only drying her washing inside no matter what the weather.

A few times I would move her washing outside and she would then angrily move it back inside. After a while she stopped taking her washing upstairs if it was dry, she would leave it laying around for a couple of days. If I attempted to take it upstairs for them this was met with the same anger as when I moved their washing outside. In the end I gave up and just let her do what she wanted. I was fed up trying to fight her.

She also slowly became withdrawn from us. When they first moved in my daughter in law made an effort to spend time with us but very quickly she became withdrawn. Towards the end I never knew if she was in. It was almost like she would sneak in and out of the house. If she was in then she would go straight to the bedroom and close the door. I have no idea what she did in there because you would never hear a sound unless my son was home.

She also rarely ate anything. Before she lived with us, she didn't have a huge appetite but she would at least finish a meal. Slowly over time she would eat less and less around us. If I made a comment then she would claim that she wasn't hungry. I started giving her less and less food but still she refused to finish a meal. She started to loose weight which worried me because she was very thin to begin with. I started buying food which I know she likes but she didn't touch it. I raised my concerns to my son, he told me that it made her uncomfortable when we spoke about her appetite and eating habits, he said we should just leave her alone.

They lived with us for just over a year and then suddenly my son announced that they were moving out and they were going to live with my daughter in laws parents. This wasn't a huge shock to me, by this point we were barely speaking. I was however extremely upset, I felt like I failed. All I wanted was for her to like us and for her to feel like she was part of the family. After they moved out I asked my son why they left. I knew the answer before he told me but I wanted confirmation. He said that my daughter in law thought we were interfering and that her every move was being watched. She felt that she never had any privacy and that we were constantly judging her. They are still living with get parents and they seem to be getting on well, they do their own shopping, cooking, cleaning, and laundry. They also seem to have exclusive use of two rooms. We still don't see her often and if she does come over they never stay for long.

She must have fell pregnant roughly four months after they moved in with her parents. When they told us she was pregnant I was over the moon, I never thought I would ever have grandchildren. Out of my three sons my youngest was always the most likely to have children but my daughter in law always stated that she didn't want them. I am not sure what changed, they haven't really stated whether the baby was planned or not, but I was ecstatic.

My daughter in law struggled during the first trimester and also at the very end but overall she had a very straightforward pregnancy. She ended up giving birth 8 days before her due date to my beautiful grandson. I thought that her pregnancy and having a baby may finally give us something in common. I hoped that finally she would feel comfortable being with us and we could put the past behind us.

I saw even less of my daughter in law whilst she was pregnant. I went to a lot of trouble of buying food and drink which suited her current food tolerances and cravings but a lot of it got chucked away. I tried to talk to her about how she is feeling, what things she had/ what she still needed, her maternity leave plans, childcare plans, and how people around her are treating her. She was polite, answered all my questions but basically nothing changed. She still doesn't want to spend longer than is polite speaking to me. I asked my son and daughter in law if there was anything we could do or buy to help them out, and the answers was no. They had everything under control, they didn't need help from anyone. I was extra careful after the wedding not to interfere or give any advice but she still didn't seem happy!

My grandson is here now and my son had 4 weeks off work when he was first born. During this time my son sent us lots of pictures and we saw my grandson 5 times, the last time my son bought the baby on his own. He stated that his wife needed some time to herself. My son is back at work now and I have no idea really when we will next see the baby. We have a few family things planned in the summer which my son says they are coming to but in the mean time it's gone very quiet. My son hasn't sent any pictures and I doubt my daughter in law will bring the baby round herself.

Before the baby my son visited us at least every couple of months, either with or without his wife. I did hope that now the baby is here that we would see them more often but I don't think that will be the case. I don't think my daughter in law is purposely stopping me from seeing my son or grandson but I don't think she is planning on making any effort to see me herself. This is upsetting for not only myself but also my husband. We just don't know what more we can do.

AshTree Sat 06-Jun-15 12:39:24

I was so very moved by your post, Greyduster. I can so understand how you felt at the funeral, but you could not have done more to be the MiL your DiL wanted. She kept an emotional distance between you and you respected that. You should have no regrets. flowers

KatyK Sat 06-Jun-15 12:59:01

How sad Greyduster. When I met my DH in the 1960s, I was painfully shy. My dreadful upbringing had left me with no confidence. When DH introduced me to his parents (I was 18) I had had very little experience of meeting people outside my own family and had never been taught any 'social skills'. Although my father-in-law was kind, my mother-in-law saw my shyness as 'not trying and rude'. My DH had been going out with a girl prior to meeting me who was by all accounts 'bubbly and outgoing' which I have never been. My mil thought the world of this girl apparently. DH and myself had a small wedding in a Register Office and his mother persuaded his close relatives not to attend. His sister and her husband took no notice and attended. My father-in-law wanted to attend but didn't want to upset his wife. We were given no gifts by any members of his family as mil had told them how dreadful I was. I felt sorry for my DG. There was a bit of a truce for a while but unfortunately she died in her early 50s when we had only been married a couple of years. We are all different and I don't believe most people do things just to be difficult.

KatyK Sat 06-Jun-15 12:59:56

I felt sorry for my DH not my DG blush

Marelli Sat 06-Jun-15 13:10:08

So many sensitive and sensible posts here. Hilda and Greyduster, I've taken note of your posts in particular.
It's taking me a long, long time to turn off the 'inner mum' (what a brilliant description of that emotion). DS's relationship with his fiancée has completely broken down. He's lived with her for two years, and has been so upset by the break-up. I've found that it's also affected me deeply, not only because I was/am fond of her but also because I fear for him and how he will live his life now that they're not together. She's had mental health issues for a very long time, and I think he thought he could change things for her, really. However, this wasn't to be sad.
What I have recognised though, is that he really does not want to be bothered by my asking (even in a bright voice - he can see through that no problem!) if he's ok.
There really does come a time when they don't really need us (or even want us - and I don't mean that in a sad, pathetic way)! They just want to get on with things, sort out things for themselves and if, now and again, they do remember that we're still in this land of the living, then they MAY just remember to get in touch! smile

KatyK Sat 06-Jun-15 13:33:04

Your last paragraph is spot on Marelli. Hard to accept but that's how it is.

thatbags Sat 06-Jun-15 14:44:49

I have always felt that my job as a parent was to assist my children, inch by inch, in their quest (i.e.growing up) towards full independence. Full independence means I'm redundant when it comes to parenting and the adult-child relationship. A number of people have said that they find this hard to accept. I haven't found that because it's what I expected, no, wanted, all along. The proverbial apron strings don't get cut, they just fray over the years and gradually part. The adult to adult family relationship that remains is completely different from the parent-child one but just as special.

Mishap Sat 06-Jun-15 15:20:44

Indeed it is special and I enjoy my grown-up DDs and seeing what they are making of their lives.

The desire to help and support them that goes with parenthood has not left me, but it is on their terms and when they ask for it. And in return there are times when they help and support me.

Motherhood is so all-consuming for so long that it is tempting to feel that when this stops you have no purpose or role. We have to adapt and build new lives based on a very different relationship with our children (and their partners). If we feel that a gap has appeared in our lives (which of course it has) it is up to us to fill it, not our children.

Developing new roles and interests is healthy both for us and for our children, who are freed of any concern that they might be responsible for our happiness.

Marelli Sat 06-Jun-15 16:02:22

Eldest DD's 22-year marriage broke up last year. She dealt with all the ongoing issues herself, with an occasional natter on the phone to me. I think she used these calls merely as a sounding board, though. I didn't worry about her as such, because I know she's level-headed and she'd recognised that the marriage was failing beyond repair.
DS however, had personal issues a few years ago. He overcame them with my help, both emotionally and financially. Because of this I'd found it hard to look on him as being totally independent, because he was dependent on me. Now, though, I've seen the importance of stepping back. To not step back would be giving him the message that I feel he can't cope, and that would be counterproductive.

harrigran Sat 06-Jun-15 16:39:22

thatbags, your post could have been written by me. I brought my children up to be independent at an early age, they had to travel to the next city from 11 years of age to attend school. At 13 DD travelled from her aunt's home in Germany back to UK and several times stayed in London on her own to take exams at the Royal college of music. Both DD and DS left home to go to university and never returned to the family home, when they graduated they went straight into jobs and got on with their own lives.
I don't ring them on a regular basis and don't expect them to include me in their social lives, all I have said to them is that I am only a phone call away if they have a problem and I will help if I am able.

Bellanonna Sat 06-Jun-15 16:45:50

KatyK that beginning sounds so sad. Hope things have improved a lot since then.

KatyK Sat 06-Jun-15 18:19:04

Bella - Thank you. I hope it didn't sound like whingeing! I was just trying to point out that people perhaps react in different ways due to the circumstances of their life. Well, we are still together 46 years on smile

Greyduster Sat 06-Jun-15 18:21:24

The lady my son is now married to is very different to his first wife, and we have come to know each other very well, while at the same time not "getting in each other's hair". They live an hours drive away and we see more of DS than we do of my DiL, but only in the football season! Sometimes she will come down with him but if she doesn't, she knows we won't take it amiss. She also comes from a close family. We don't usually go to them unless we are invited, but on a few occasions when we have been nearby and have asked if we could pop in and see them, she has always been most welcoming. Like Harrigran my children have always been independent. My son boarded from the age of 11 and travelled back and forth by train and plane during the holidays to get to wherever home was. It would never have occurred to me that he couldn't manage these things - we just let him get on with it. We did, of course, help him through his bereavement which wasn't easy for any of us, but when his life was getting back on track, we were happy to take a back seat.