Gransnet forums

Relationships

Having a favourite child/ grandchild.

(60 Posts)
Gagagran Mon 23-Nov-15 15:06:01

Exactly jings! Of course we adore them all but there is one who has a little special place in your heart. It's not something for publication though. (Even though I do think they know)

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 23-Nov-15 14:45:48

Nothing amiss in my family! hmm

And of course you love them all. And you would never, ever, let on about having a favourite - even to yourself very often.

ginny Mon 23-Nov-15 14:45:47

I too totally disagree.

I love each of my 3DDs just as much as each other. I have things that I particularly like in each of them but my love for ll them is unconditional.

Also love DGS and I'm pretty sure when our new DGC comes along in February I will him / her just as much.

How horrible for any son or daughter to feel that a sibling is favoured and I do believe they would know.

HildaW Mon 23-Nov-15 14:28:59

thatbags...well said.

I heartily disagree. I have always been of the opinion that having favourites is a sign of something amiss in a family.....I know this from experience, my father did favourites and it was always the one of us who showed the most compliance.

If you truly love your children the concept of favourites is inconsistent. Love is just love....it does not vary. (Did not a famous playwright say something similar but much better)

I can however, understand not liking a child for a time...it might only be for a brief period, after they have shown a sign of their character you do not like, but deep down you still love them.

Gagagran Mon 23-Nov-15 14:15:52

I think it's true and I think the DC and DGC have it sussed from an early age. There's no fooling them - they know which one is the favourite even though you are extra careful to try and treat them all exactly the same.

My Mum didn't even try! My big brother was always her shining prince.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 23-Nov-15 13:52:49

At first I was going to post this:

I disagree, and I am not pretending. All of mine have got their special good points.

But then I thought about it! shock

I'm not saying anymore. (Norty Granny!)

Greyduster Mon 23-Nov-15 13:36:16

I suppose it's never a problem I will have because I only have one one grandchild and there will, it seems, be no more. He is the absolute light of our lives!

thatbags Mon 23-Nov-15 13:34:32

If you firmly believe it and think anyone who disagrees is just pretending, why have you started a thread about it? Seems a bit pointless hmm

glassortwo Mon 23-Nov-15 13:28:38

I dont think that I have a favourite out of the 7 DGC, but they all have their moment when they are in the front of your thoughts.

Daddima Mon 23-Nov-15 13:25:30

Now, I know many people will pretend to disagree, but I firmly believe that every parent has a favourite child, and every grandparent has a favourite grandchild.

This is not to say that you love any of them any less, but there might just be one that has a special place in your heart ( for whatever reason)