Gransnet forums

Relationships

What does your DH or partner do that irritates the hell out of you?

(138 Posts)
gillybob Thu 25-Feb-16 12:49:10

I just read an article about men who chew their food loudly and how it drives their wives mad. Well it would me too.

This made me think that perhaps it wasn't just me who had a DH that has a VERY irritation habit.

I mean it's not disgusting or anything, just damned irritating. So much so that I have been known to swear when he does it or even put a pillow over my head...

The crime..

To wash his face in the en-suite.

He makes so much noise and splashes water everywhere he sounds like a baby elephant having a bath! I can just about take it at 7.00 am but he often has to leave very early and at 4-5 am I feel like murdering him! angry

Envious Thu 25-Feb-16 15:40:51

My DH has a tendency to state the obvious. From what is the the fridge I could eat to the colour of the car in front of me when driving! confused

Lyndylou Thu 25-Feb-16 15:58:48

Mine takes an hour to empty and refill the dishwasher after tea. He takes out one clean plate, walks down the kitchen to put it away, then repeats until all clean stuff is in it's proper place. Then he starts taking one dirty object back to the dishwasher. As my chair in the living room is right next to all this action (strange layout my house!) it drives me crazy. I load up with as many clean things as I can, take them down, put them away and come back with as much dirty stuff as possible. Takes me 10 minutes, but he doesn't like me to do it, says it's his job! (I don't think he thinks I load it "properly" whatever that is). Good job I love him.

joannapiano Thu 25-Feb-16 16:23:58

DH tends to read product names out loud to me, as we browse the shelves at Tesco.
I reply testily "I CAN read."

TerriBull Thu 25-Feb-16 16:24:38

Talks to me about how his football team or say the Ryder Cup Golf/Masters whatever team are doing as "we are playing well" the implication that I give damn. As far as I'm concerned there is no "we" about it I don't care how they are doing, win or lose it's all the same to me, I tell him this all the time, I'm not interested in sport. How well or not a group of footballers or golfers are doing aint going to change my life. He still feels the need to up date me in spite of my withering looks hmm

That's all apart from that he's perfect grin

Jalima Thu 25-Feb-16 17:00:07

If he stands telling me something boring long and involved he jingles the coins in his pocket.
He also snorts and makes the baby elephant noises in the ensuite, throwing water everywhere.
And if he washes up he leaves a greasy full bowl of washing up water and never cleans round the sink.
I expect he dries his hands on the teatowel afterwards as well shock

aprilgrace Thu 25-Feb-16 17:06:48

Mine opens cupboards and drawers in our very small kitchen and never shuts them. I follow him round closing them when we're cooking to prevent bumped heads and bits spilt in drawers. But at least he cooks. Very well too, so I can't really complain.

Teetime Thu 25-Feb-16 17:26:26

Nothing at all DH is a paragon of virtue! Oh hang on a minute that's what irritates me. smile

Indinana Thu 25-Feb-16 17:29:27

He eats noisily. He never used to, so why now? Even if he's eating a bowl of custard he'll chomp his teeth together noisily and rapidly. I want to scream at him "custard doesn't need to be chewed!!!". And when he has a takeaway curry he microwaves it to within an inch of its life, so that when he sits down to eat it, it is far too hot. This doesn't deter him, however. Oh no, every forkful is brought to his mouth, blown on several times and then slowly sucked into his mouth shock. Whereupon it is chewed rapidly and noisily. It is even more noticeable when he's watching the footy with his headphones on because it's the only sound in the room!
I usually go in the other room. Can't stand it.

But he is a good old stick otherwise. He always cleans the oven. Not something to be sneezed at smile

pollyparrot Thu 25-Feb-16 17:30:46

Clicking things! For example a pen, or a half empty coke can, or anything really that he picks up and fiddles with. I've threatened to insert the pen where the sun don't shine if he continues, so he does stop. He does it without thinking though. I love him really.

Marelli Thu 25-Feb-16 17:41:02

Throat-clearing! 'Cough-cough-cough-cough' with 2 sniffs to follow. It's always the same and it does my head in!
He's very good with the vacuum cleaner though, and he does like to polish things. I don't like doing either of those things. grin

phoenix Thu 25-Feb-16 17:45:42

Mr P, an excellent chap in many ways, (he can cook, takes responsibility for cleaning the oven and brings me a cup of tea in bed 6 mornings out of 7) seems to be under the impression that the bedroom floor next to his side of the bed is a combination of wardrobe & laundry basket. (Our bedroom contains both of these items, plus chests of drawers).

I have given up trying to work out which of the items on the floor are to be washed, and which are to be worn again (with the exception of socks and pants) so when I'm about to do any washing I ask him to bring what he wants washed and bung it in front of the washing machine.

lizzypopbottle Thu 25-Feb-16 17:56:43

When my late husband complained that I was always humming, I didn't like the idea that I had an irritating habit so I told myself to stop it. If I caught myself humming, I'd say, "No! You're not doing that any more!" Pretty soon I'd stopped. When I told my hubby that he was always whistling, his response was, "I know but I can't stop!" That was more irritating than the whistling because what he really meant was that he wanted me to stop something irritating but he couldn't be bothered to stop doing some that irritated me.

Daddima Thu 25-Feb-16 17:59:54

I live with the snoring, as I believe he cannot help it.

I find it hard to live with his " dirt blindness", as he alleges he cannot see that the bathroom/ kitchen needs cleaned.

f77ms Thu 25-Feb-16 18:08:03

Some of these comments have really made me laugh and also reinforced the pure joy of being single !

Greyduster Thu 25-Feb-16 18:10:09

He drives me mad by suggesting we go for a walk and then spending the whole time with his headphones in listening to the radio, so I am left talking to myself! Bloody rude, but I wouldn't swap him!

f77ms Thu 25-Feb-16 18:10:38

Indinana , I can feel your pain !

SusanCh Thu 25-Feb-16 18:45:18

Mine asks stupid questions. We never agree on how high the heating should be. I tend to be cold, but I've given up complaining because it's not worth having to listen to him puffing and blowing because he's too warm. I'm quite happy to put an extra cardigan on, but what drives me mad is that every time I go upstairs and come back with a thick cardi on, he says "you're not cold, are you?" What a stupid question - I wouldn't have put another cardi on if I was warm enough, would I!

pollyparrot Thu 25-Feb-16 18:55:26

I have a lovely fleece throw that is actually an electric blanket. When I sit on the sofa in the evening I have this over me and I'm toasty warm.

Indinana Thu 25-Feb-16 19:26:12

SusanCh more irritating than the 'you're not cold are you?' comment (which my DH is also fond of saying) is the 'It's not cold!' comment. 'Oh isn't it? How odd. I could have sworn that I felt cold! Must be mistaken.' confused

grannylyn65 Thu 25-Feb-16 19:26:27

Comments making me smile
Have lived alone for nearly 24 years!!!

jogginggirl Thu 25-Feb-16 19:33:45

annsixty

?flowers?

annsixty Thu 25-Feb-16 19:45:38

Oh dear huge retraction here? I have re read my post and I am mortified. I didn't mean my H isn't very nice I meant his bad habit isn't very nice I feel awful now so need forgiving.?

Lona Thu 25-Feb-16 19:59:00

ann I didn't read it like that, so don't beat yourself up! ?

grannylyn65 Thu 25-Feb-16 20:06:15

ann ??

jogginggirl Thu 25-Feb-16 21:17:04

I didn't read it like that either annsixty - I was merely commenting on the difficulties of dementia ... flowers xxx