Gransnet forums

Relationships

Grandaughter

(34 Posts)
diamondsgirl Mon 05-Dec-16 09:43:48

I am very lucky and have 7 grandchildren. The eldest grandaughter (26) seems to have a problem with me, and it is getting worse since my DH died.
My DD was a single mum and my DH and I were very involved in babysitting, financial support etc., while DGD was growing up, and she came to look upon my DH as a father figure.
Roll forward a few years and DD marries a very nice man, and they have a son..but no jealousy or resentment from DGD..a little bit antagonistic toward her step-father but no more. DD then (to our shame) had an affair, which threw the whole family into chaos. The man she was with was simply awful (not enough space here to go into further details, but believe the complete family felt the same way).
My DGD was devastated and at one point asked if she could come and live with me and DH. This didn't materialise but it gives you a picture of our former relationship.
Roll forward five years and DD and her ex husband reunited and remarried, which at first made DGD very, very angry but now she seems to have accepted it and is accepting of the renewed marriage.
DGD had her first and very serious boyfriend for 2 years or so, then he dumped her and she was shattered and her personality changed to a very aggressive and angry young lady.
At this point my DH was diagnosed with cancer and sadly died after two years...my DGD was in the room when he died and was distraught at losing him.
DH died about 3.5 years ago, but since then, DGD will not come to my house for family gatherings, does not answer texts or messages from me to the point I feel like a stalker.
I rarely if ever hear from her, and whilst I completely understand her grief, she does not make any allowance for the fact that I am still living in the house where DH died, and it has been tough, but I had to do it, whereas DGD has made it clear that she really does not care for me and any attempt by me to get her to open up and talk about it, is met with hostility and then tears. I feel helpless.
We had such an amazing relationship and all I see now is a very angry young woman, and I miss her company and love.
I have vowed to myself not to contact her again, but feel awful about that.
What to do? I no longer know.
Sorry this is so long but it could be three times as long!! smile

TriciaF Wed 07-Dec-16 15:07:03

A very sad situation,*diamondsgirl*, no wonder you're so upset.
Is your DGD close to any other member of the family? Who is she living with now? Maybe you could contact that person and ask them to join with you in trying to repair the relationship.
I agree with the point of being patient, and giving it time.

Flossieturner Wed 07-Dec-16 15:15:15

I wonder how many mid-20 people have a close relationship with their grandparent.

My eldest 3 greandchildren are approaching this age. We were very close when they were young but now I see them only when I visit DD or DS. We don't contact in between times. I think this is a natural progression of how families work.

Maybe, because you had such a close relationship when she was younger, you have too high expectations now. Try not to be hurt, giver her space and leave the door open without in anyway judging her.

Yorkshiregel Wed 07-Dec-16 15:47:49

I think your GD should realise that you too are grieving, not just her. She is an adult not a child and she cannot put all the weight on to your shoulders. You already have to deal with DH's death and how you are going to cope without him. I guess with time she will come round. Just let her know that you will be happy when she does visit again. It sounds as though she is reeling from one relationship that was off and is now on, followed by a permanent loss of Grandfather and she is struggling with it. Maybe she does not dare to get close to anyone at the moment because of the fear of losing them too....especially if they are old. Too much pain involved.

luluaugust Wed 07-Dec-16 15:51:51

Flossieturner I agree with you about the older grandchildren not having so much contact, I think this is inevitable, I only saw my dear granny on family visits in my late teens. It is hard especially when you have had the care of them as babies and toddlers.

diamondsgirl if you are able to ask DD if there is a problem I would might help to set your mind at rest.

Sparkyju Wed 07-Dec-16 17:18:15

Carol1ne63 I am sorry to hear of your situation but please please keep those lines of communication open. My first husband made me alienate all my family and friends. Any form of perceived criticism from anyone ended in him rowing with me. Maybe your DD is between a rock and a hard place herself. When I finally had had enough I had nowhere to turn. I know it's hard and thankless but please try to be there for her. It may not be all her fault.
flowers

gettingonabit Wed 07-Dec-16 17:57:36

Your dgd has had a difficult time, but so have you. You are speculating-nothing more-on what could have caused her behaviour towards you. Maybe it's depression. Maybe not. Maybe she's traumatised by her life experience. Maybe not. You have no way of knowing, and with respect, you are overthinking it, imho.

She's a grown woman capable of making decisions, and rationalising her behaviour. If she has depression, she is capable of getting herself to a GP for treatment. If she has other issues which need resolving, it is up to her to resolve them. And I think you may just be coming across as needy, which she may find off-putting.

It sounds to me as though she may well just have a busy life full of work and friends. Unfortunately this may mean that you've fallen off the radar, which may be a temporary thing, or it may equally mean a gradual and natural pulling away.

Whatever the reasons, you are not responsible for her well-being, and I think perhaps you need to stop investing in her quite as much as you appear to be doing, and look after yourself.

hulahoop Wed 07-Dec-16 20:38:35

When my mum died my son was 6yrs old 11 months later my step-dad died they were very close . My son became very off hand and nasty to me hardly spoke and was very cheeky he was ok at school and with my oh and freinds it came to head one evening when I got upset and to my shame cross with him but it was best thing that happened
He got upset and it turned out he was worried that I was going to die and leave him like they had grief affects people in many ways hope it all turns ok for you all .

br0adwater Thu 08-Dec-16 08:39:35

Diamond flowers

I don't agree that you're overthinking this but I suspect you have been unable to talk through this complex situation and so it's going round and round in your head.
I do agree with a Christmas card message of "always here for you"
Yes, she's a 26 year old adult but she's also a grieving child inside and that is what you're responding too, quite naturally. Comments that you're just bothered for yourself are shallow. Ignore them.
My perception is that yes DGD can't face coming to your house because it's where her darling granddad died, but also I suspect she is deeply distressed that you do seem to be able to stay there. She may wrongly be subconsciously thinking you aren't missing DH (enough) and her circular private thoughts are negative about you.
Finally, and this is very difficult, she might be pushing you away as a misguided form of self protection. She can't face being close to another person who's going to leave her/die like everyone else she's loved.
Knowing how deeply you love her, I understand why you want to help her, indeed may feel you have an ongoing responsibility to help her.
Sadly, I think there's little you can do beyond the "I'm here" message until she gets help from someone outside the situation.