Gransnet forums

Relationships

New year, new life ahead!

(37 Posts)
madaboutbooks59 Fri 06-Jan-17 22:36:10

I've just re-joined the site after a year or so. A few of you might vaguely remember my posts (I had a slightly different username at the time) about my husband meeting women via dating websites for married people looking for an affair, and other infidelity. Well, as I've learned, leopards most definitely do not change their spots and I'm divorcing him at long last. Better late than never! In December I started to notice the same patterns of behaviour as before and, to cut a long story short, he obviously realised he had come to the end of the line as he announced on Christmas Day that he didn't love me any more and that he could no longer 'live this life'. I didn't react, just went for a walk and when I got back he'd gone and I've learned he's now living with his 'new' woman (having known her for all of a month). Madly in love of course!
Although I know things will be difficult for a while yet, I do realise he's actually done me a massive favour and I'm really looking forward to my brand new life!

pensionpat Fri 06-Jan-17 22:41:11

New IMPROVED life Mad. Great attitude!

Cherrytree59 Fri 06-Jan-17 22:53:10

sunshine the future looks bright
Well done you!
Onwards and upwards

mumofmadboys Sat 07-Jan-17 07:18:40

That was harsh of him leaving on Christmas Day. All the best for the future. Do you have children? I hope you have supportive friends too.xx

nanaK54 Sat 07-Jan-17 07:56:49

Wishing you all the best for your 'brand new life' x

Ginny42 Sat 07-Jan-17 07:58:02

With new adventures, making new memories and new friends. That's the way to go.

The night my husband told me he didn't love me any more and was leaving with my friend I thought I would die, but I live to tell the tale and wish you all the luck in the world getting your life back. I was reduced to gibbering and panic – and the striking, crushing thing was that he didn't care; he had stopped caring what I felt about anything: that was the point. He went off next morning on business, as planned, and I made arrangements to move out.

For the first week I was weeping more or less without stopping. I did it while crossing the park and walking down the street. I wailed my way about town and sobbed in checkout queues. I lost all social embarrassment! But it passes and life gets better, truly it does. It's tough, but you are right, he's done you a massive favour.

The grass on the other side isn't always greener btw, but you won't care by then as you will be in a far better place! xx

Christinefrance Sat 07-Jan-17 08:38:21

A great positive attitude madaboutbooks, your life can only get better now without those stresses and worries. Of course there will be a few bumps along the way but you can enjoy a new life doing all the things you want to do. I had several years living alone and it changed things a lot for me, in a good way. Hope 2017 brings you peace and happiness. flowers

Jayanna9040 Sat 07-Jan-17 08:57:08

Having gone straight from home to marriage I was terrified of being alone. But you're right it is a whole new life and an exciting one too! Best of luck. With your positive attitude I'm sure it will be a great success?

Anya Sat 07-Jan-17 09:03:15

What a wonderful, brave attitude. I'm totally convinced that a women like you will indeed embrace your new life and new start and wish you a happy release.

sunshine

cornergran Sat 07-Jan-17 09:09:56

All the best for the future, a new beginning for a very brave woman.

Charleygirl Sat 07-Jan-17 09:23:05

I agree, all the very best for the future- he will regret his actions but it may take some time to discover that the grass is not greener on the other side. He may want to crawl back home but hopefully you will have a full life without him in it. He is a total s* choosing that day to walk out.

grannyqueenie Sat 07-Jan-17 09:31:48

Your ex will be the loser here, his new love likely won't last 5 min but you have a whole new life worth living stretching ahead of you. Wishing you all the best as you walk into your new life with head held high. Hope you've good friends and family around to support you in any of the not-so-good days you will inevitably have.

yggdrasil Sat 07-Jan-17 09:59:14

Get a solicitor, make sure you are ok financially. That will help a lot with your new life, I can assure you

Starlady Sat 07-Jan-17 10:53:17

Hi! I'm new here, so I don't know you. It sounds like you've been through a lot. Sorry your husband ruined Christmas but it looks like you have an exciting new year ahead! Congratulations!

Luckylegs9 Sat 07-Jan-17 11:44:09

See the solicitor, make if official, sort the finances out, move on and enjoy your life. You sure don't need him. Good luck.

Charleygirl Sat 07-Jan-17 13:07:14

Starlady welcome

silverlining48 Sat 07-Jan-17 18:39:26

Wishing you well, make sure you get some sound financial and legal advice. Good luck.

Luckygirl Sat 07-Jan-17 18:59:12

You will I hope find a new life that does not involve you being treated as less than you deserve. Well done for picking up the pieces and lots of good luck for the future.

Starlady Sun 08-Jan-17 10:22:36

Thanks for the welcome, Charleygirl! (Tried to bold the name according to directions but it didn't work for me.)

madaboutbooks59 Sun 08-Jan-17 22:45:31

Sorry, this is the first time I've logged in again since posting.

Thank you all SO much for the messages of support; I really appreciate them.

I'm very fortunate to have great friends far and wide, a lovely family and a supportive local community to help me through all this. I truly believe he was planning to divorce me (no idea on what grounds!) and of course he maintained that he didn't want to do all this on Xmas Day, but that I 'made him' (yeah, right!) but it seems I scuppered his plans and while he was apparently busy posting photos of his 'new love' on social media and letting anyone who'd listen know what he'd done, I was busy talking to my solicitor! Well, that seems to have panicked him as he has taken more than a week to respond to my solicitor's requests. My solicitor chased him again on Friday and had a reply via his solicitor's firm to say that he's made an appointment to see them in the middle of next week. Dragging his heels somewhat! Well, all I can say is, thanks for the delay, pal, because it has given me time to do even more sorting out and forward planning!

And of course I've had all manner of whingeing texts ranging from curt to polite to well, just plain pathetic really! I don't want ever to communicate with him again!

Another point in my favour is that I've good academic qualifications and am able to put them to good use through freelance work. Got my own separate bank account anyway and although I may have to count the pennies for quite a while to come, it is SO worth it!

Will try to log in once a week until things start settling down and then a bit more often.

In the meantime, best wishes to all!

Grannyben Sun 08-Jan-17 23:07:01

Sending good wishes to you too. I'm sure you are going to have many highs and lows but try and stay as strong as you feel now. Life can be good again and you deserve so much more than he gave

Starlady Mon 09-Jan-17 01:17:52

Best of luck! Stay strong! I agree with Grannyben that there will be "highs and lows" but, in the end, I'm sure you'll be so much happier than you have been in a long time.

NanaandGrampy Mon 09-Jan-17 09:16:10

Good Luck Mad you have your head firmly screwed on and I suspect in a years time your life will look so much better . Good for you. !!

vampirequeen Mon 09-Jan-17 11:05:20

You're so strong. It's brilliant that you've slapped the blame right where it belongs. So many of us blame ourselves until the light dawns.

I love your comment about him being slow to respond (thinking it would make your life difficult) has actually given you more time to plan.

Life is so good once you are free from that sort of mill stone. Be prepared for his whinging and begging when the new woman gets fed up and kicks him out. Stay firm. So no when he begs to come back.

MissAdventure Mon 09-Jan-17 19:50:16

Well done, and happy New year!